Mileage before Keeper Number 1

k_d_ch

Hello everyone,

I have found a nice-looking Skoda Octavia estate, and I thought I would run a history check on it before paying money for it. As a result of the check, it appears that the car ran up a 16K mileage in about 8 months after the first registration. The source of this information is given as "MANUFRER", and in one place it mentions the total number of keepers as two, while only one appears under registration history. This is very confusing. Does it mean it may have been a demo car, for example? What other possibilities are there for the a car to clock up 16K by the manufacturer (which is what I think "MANUFRER" must stand for). 

Many thanks for any ideas!

16 minutes ago, k_d_ch said:

Hello everyone,

I have found a nice-looking Skoda Octavia estate, and I thought I would run a history check on it before paying money for it. As a result of the check, it appears that the car ran up a 16K mileage in about 8 months after the first registration. The source of this information is given as "MANUFRER", and in one place it mentions the total number of keepers as two, while only one appears under registration history. This is very confusing. Does it mean it may have been a demo car, for example? What other possibilities are there for the a car to clock up 16K by the manufacturer (which is what I think "MANUFRER" must stand for). 

Many thanks for any ideas!

It could have been a Skoda Press car which are often given to You Tube people to test for a week and they do as much as 1,000 miles in a short time. Also a manufacturer may give a car to a major magazine such as What Car, Autocar or Auto Express for Long Term test over a period of 6 months and photographers on these publications can rack up mileage very quickly. These cars will then be bought in a closed dealer auction at a suitably low price to reflect their history and mileage.:o

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

It can be Leased from Volkswagen Finance to any business / company / agency and run up the mileage.

One or 2 Registered Keepers and dozens on drivers.

Even 'Get me to the airport' services'  Uber... Type thing.

Thank you for your thoughts. I was aware that things like this happen, but my understanding is that in this case it would show 2 keepers, the leasing company and whoever bought it from them. But maybe I just don't know the dark world of used cars and they could put a plate on it without it showing in the records? 

7 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

It could have been a Skoda Press car which are often given to You Tube people to test for a week and they do as much as 1,000 miles in a short time. Also a manufacturer may give a car to a major magazine such as What Car, Autocar or Auto Express for Long Term test over a period of 6 months and photographers on these publications can rack up mileage very quickly. These cars will then be bought in a closed dealer auction at a suitably low price to reflect their history and mileage.:o

Well, this doesn't sound very appealing from my standpoint! How do they ensure that the reg plate they were using this time does not show in the record though? It says that the car was registered in July 2016, and then there is a gap until Mat 2017, when they first registered keeper appears, but the car already has 16K mileage! 

DVLA records are pants. Or can be.

I just sold a car i bought new in 2003, the new owner keeper is the 5th on the V5.

When i gave the car to family members they were registered as 'Registered Keepers' for Insurance purposes.

Just buy used cars on Condition you will never know how they were driven.

One Lady Owner, Mrs Hertz. or Mrs HMRC.

Military Police.... etc.

Edited by Skoffski

6 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

DVLA records are pants. Or can be.

I just sold a car i bought new in 2003, the new owner keeper is the 5th on the V5.

When i gave the car to family members they were registered as 'Registered Keepers' for Insurance purposes.

Just buy used cars on Condition you will never know how they were driven.

One Lady Owner, Mrs Hertz. or Mrs HMRC.

Military Police.... etc.

Ha, ha! Thank you! I just got a call from the dealer, who says it might have been just one individual keeper in the period July 2016 to Mar 2017. It leaves the question of why this keeper hasn't been explicitly registered, but as you say DVLA records can be unreliable. Just as well, it could have been military police for all I know!  

• Like 1

Try not to get hung up on it, if the car looks good and drives well, and you're buying from a reputable dealer, then it sounds like its worth a shot?

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Try not to get hung up on it, if the car looks good and drives well, and you're buying from a reputable dealer, then it sounds like its worth a shot?

Thanks for your encouragement. I have been to the dealership and I liked what I saw, both the car and the dealer's attitude. The guy wasn't not pushy at all and very professional throughout: told me what he new about the Octavia, explained the way he runs the business and how he cares about his reputation in trying to make sure the customer doesn't come back with a problem later. So I have decided to go for it.  

Edited by k_d_ch
  • Like 1