USB Port Questions

DieselDriverVRS

Just now, Michael G said:

This is why I like Waze, online.

Yes, I've been using Waze and / or Google maps......I'd never looked at Skoda Connect as I assumed it had to be requested on the original order....however, since reading this thread this a.m. I've had a crack at it and seems you get 1 year included......can't say as there is anything there I'd get my credit card out for, as you say Michael, Waze works fine....well almost fine, the USB connection in that confined space is a bit of a bind.

• Like 1

Ours is the SE so no real use for Connect.

Had to futz around with trying different cables (big phone) but ended up with this. Works for me.

IMG_20180603_195846.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like in my case I wouldn't need a wireless dongle then. I would always just use Carplay for Satnav, and the music is through Spotify anyway (all on my phone).

I've been looking at the right angled USB connectors too but will check it out before I splash the money. I kind of think i'd be leaving open the little door anyway and I already have a regular straight kevlar cable.

Picking up my Karoq this afternoon :)

• Like 1

In my area south of M25 it shows all the traffic and also constantly changing road closures due to constant gas and water main renewals which is very useful info when you don't have a route set. Find it useful when returning along M3, M4 or M40 as looking at the mess on the M25 helps me decide if I'd rather go cross country even if sitting in the jams is a couple of minutes quicker.

14 minutes ago, kerbero5 said:

Sounds like in my case I wouldn't need a wireless dongle then. I would always just use Carplay for Satnav, and the music is through Spotify anyway (all on my phone).

I've been looking at the right angled USB connectors too but will check it out before I splash the money. I kind of think i'd be leaving open the little door anyway and I already have a regular straight kevlar cable.

Picking up my Karoq this afternoon :)

Re cables/adaptors, it's worth a play. I didn't want a cable plugged in vertically. Equally, orientation of USB locators and type of phone socket are variables. My phone uses USB-C do that's one variable removed.

Enjoy the car!

On 16/05/2019 at 15:30, DieselDriverVRS said:

Yes no intervention needed.  Vodafone R218H MiFi. 

How much was this and per month? COntract length?

Can you go abroad and roam included so kids can watch movies when driving to East EUrope? Otherwise no use to me in the UK as I Have a good phone plan.

4 hours ago, TonyTonic said:

How much was this and per month? COntract length?

Can you go abroad and roam included so kids can watch movies when driving to East EUrope? Otherwise no use to me in the UK as I Have a good phone plan.

I don't have Roaming enabled, but you can.  It is 5Gb for about 13 quid a month on 12 months...

6 minutes ago, DieselDriverVRS said:

I don't have Roaming enabled, but you can.  It is 5Gb for about 13 quid a month on 12 months...

Cheers for that. This option is now redundant for me. I just got an amazing deal from Vodafone for unlimited minutes and text and 100gb of data a month for £24 a month so I will use my phone as a hotspot.  Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

Just now, TonyTonic said:

Cheers for that. This option is now redundant for me. I just got an amazing deal from Vodafone for unlimited minutes and text and 100gb of data a month for £24 a month so I will use my phone as a hotspot.  Thanks for the info. 

Thats a good deal !.. my phone only has 1Gb at the moment.....:(

Anytime.

22 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

Can't imagine getting anywhere nr 100Gb a month. Even using AA/Waze between here and Como/Milano and back I've only used a few gig. We do mainly play music from the SD card though.

1 hour ago, DieselDriverVRS said:

Thats a good deal !.. my phone only has 1Gb at the moment.....:(

Anytime.

It is. I was shocked. 

I was on 16Gb a month SIM only for £20 a month and saw a deal for 50gb online for £32 so phoned up to see if they would reduce to £29 or so. They said no but a minute later hey wait I’ve got something on my screen. 100Gb for £24. 

I couldn’t believe what I heard so snapped his hand off and signed up for 12 months again SIM inly

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

Can't imagine getting anywhere nr 100Gb a month. Even using AA/Waze between here and Como/Milano and back I've only used a few gig. We do mainly play music from the SD card though.

We are doing a 2000 mile round trip in three weeks to Croatia and back with a 6 year old and Amazon Prime and Netflix so hopefully 100Gb should be enough to stream some movies but I will try to download on to SD as much as possible before hand.

44 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

We are doing a 2000 mile round trip in three weeks to Croatia and back with a 6 year old and Amazon Prime and Netflix so hopefully 100Gb should be enough to stream some movies but I will try to download on to SD as much as possible before hand.

Ah, video will do it. Understood. Enjoy the trip 👍

• Like 1

hi guys, m new here, and i yesterday picked up my Karoq ...nice car indeed, just only 1 usb this is crazy for me.. looking at this topic and googling last night, i saw that USB dongle that Skoda recommends costs like 150e which is too much? is there any aftermarket device that is cheap and that i can just put DATA SIM inside and plug it to usb and this is it. i have a lot data cards, and 3/4G data modems but they all are used just in PC, since they have software you need to start before making internet connection .

So question for you guys, what USB dongle.? making hot spot with phone ( android , Note8 ) works fine, but then when you think about it if i already created hotpot with phone in the car, then all devices can connect to my phone, avoiding WLAN in the car.

Also reading the manual, and creating Skoda Connect option i see that there is an option to track where is your car ( eg if it is stolen, or lost in parking lot ) but for all of that you need to have constant internet connection right?

and last thing there is always an option to use some mifi device ( mini router with data card) , connect it to 12v in the trunk of the car and this is it :)

would like to hear your toughs, about this...

Cheers,