How to remove cigarette lighter socket

The one on the centre console that is.

I have fitted a tiny USB charging point with voltmeter and on/off switch behind the gearlever right beside the cigarette lighter socket, its the logical place to power it from but I dont want to remove the whole centre console/big storage box.

With the gear lever gaiter removed I can squeeze my hand in and have a feel around, cant feel any release clips and it is resisting being prised out, the cables go to the rear and I cant feel how to remove the connector, if the armrest box part at the rear's fixings could be released then I could probably get to the wiring, alternatively maybe the inside of the storage box can be removed to do the same.

Its all very busy down there with the heating ducts running through, anyone had one apart or had to replace the cigarette lighter?

Thanks in advance.

If you have the same layout as my 06 Vrs, the wiring does go backwards to a connector held by plastic clips which are part of the console itself (approx 4" back from the socket itself). If you pull the side carpet back (strong velcro) It should give you some more room - not much but maybe just enough - to get your hand in and unclip the connector, only one bit is held in by the clips so the socket connector should be the bit that comes free!

To get the socket out there are 2 small detentes inside that need to be pressed outwards whilst the socket is turned it should then come up and out, then the green surrond will also come out.

Hope that helps.

See the clips under the cup holders that holds one side of the connector from the socket. You can just make out the small flat in the socket hole which lines up the grren surround IIRC

20190517_212716.jpg

Edited by munster

Brilliant, this forum is superb, thanks so much!

If I understand right the detents that need to be pushed out are inside the cigar lighter socket and can be accessed from above and the whole socket then lifted out from above without removing the console?

I would need to release the connector to remove it completely but there might be enough slack for me to do a couple of splices.

Releasing VAG wiring connectors always defeats me so it wont make much difference working blind by feel only!

I'm not sure if there is that much slack in the cable TBH, the connector is pretty simple just a simple press and wiggle it loose.

The detentes are inside but make sure you remove the fuse or disconnect the battery before trying to get it out. 🙂

In the middle of what is turning out to be a work up, when I had good vision I was a very good meccano, not any more.

Removed wrong fuse and blew the correct one :sadsmile:

Managed to get the inner steel tube out but cracked the green bezel.

Trying to pull some slack on the cables when there isnt any pulled the connector apart, have spent the last 15 years trying to work out how to get VAG connectors apart and the one that I want to stay together comes apart on me :sweat:

Impossible to reach the other part so whole centre console and storage box has to come out, manual no use except perhaps for base vehicle, finally after a lot of swearing I got it to lift up and away to replace the plug, problem was rear ash tray would not come out and I didnt want to force it but did in the end.