Access to Oil Filter Housing

I carried out an oil change at the weekend on my Superb.  All went well except for the damned cabling restricting access to the oil filter housing.  I googled the issue and found a few recommendations on how set aside the cabling to allow the filter to be removed but these were not entirely satisfactory. 

The cable bracket (circled in blue) is easily removed from its mounting point but this does not provide enough slack.  I ended up removing the cable tie (circled in red) and detaching the connector (circled in red).  This provided just enough slack to allow the cable to be pushed aside.  However, it was a very tight fit and I was worried about damaging the cabling as the filter housing was removed.  Also, I couldn't help some oil dripping onto the cabling when the drain nutwas removed.  I should have put something around the cabling in retrospect.

I'm sure the dealers must have a better way of doing this.  Does anyone have a better method?  I apologise if someone has already addressed the issue on this forum.

Filter.JPG

Hi,

I faced the same issue. But unfortunately, I have no better advice to give you. On my side, I only unclamped the cable bracket (circled in blue).

Did you drained the filter housing (with the 13-Hexdrive) before removing the complete filter cap (with the 32-Hexdrive)? It reduces a lot the oil spillage risk, only few oil drops... ;) 

I would be also interested, if anyone has a tip to improve the access to oil filter. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Hi,

I faced the same issue. But unfortunately, I have no better advice to give you. On my side, I only unclamped the cable bracket (circled in blue).

Did you drained the filter housing (with the 13-Hexdrive) before removing the complete filter cap (with the 32-Hexdrive)? It reduces a lot the oil spillage risk, only few oil drops... ;) 

I would be also interested, if anyone has a tip to improve the access to oil filter. Thanks.

Yes, I drained the filter housing but it was still difficult not to get a few drops of oil on the cables.   I'm surprised there isn't more on the internet covering this issue - it's a very popular engine across the VAG range.

• 4 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 09:36, plasma99 said:

Yes, I drained the filter housing but it was still difficult not to get a few drops of oil on the cables.   I'm surprised there isn't more on the internet covering this issue - it's a very popular engine across the VAG range.

There is a drain tool but I can only find them in the US 

2 hours ago, dervdave said:

There is a drain tool but I can only find them in the US 

Is this the equivalent https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/6987  ?

"Oil filter drain tool for Volkswagen, Audi vehicles (from 2005) with 2.0/2.5L diesel engines.

Additional Information

• Application: Volkswagen and Audi models fitted with 2.0/2.5L diesel engines (from 2005)
  • Prevents oil leakage when changing the oil filter
  • 2000mm Hose
  • 6pt Connector"

Hits on ebay for "Laser 6987 Oil Filter Drain Tool " around £25 

Yeah I`ve seen that one Peter but the description is a bit vague as to fitment and I`ve yet to hear of someone who has actually used one.

Bit the bullet and bought one !

Edited by dervdave