oil burning Karoq

Rockinghorse

My Karoq SEL 1.5 DSG is only 3 months old and is using oil. about every 1000 miles the oil level drops approx 3mm on the dip stick ( on a cold engine left overnight after a journey )

Dealer doesn't seem to be interested. Anyone having the same problem?

@Rockinghorse

Did you check the engine oil level when you collected the car with cold oil.  then as per Owners manual at Normal Operating Temperature so that you know both levels as the car was handed over?

Are you topping up with VW508/509  0w 20 FS IV or with VW504 / 507 5w 30 FS III ?

Are you keeping record of how much oil you need to add and have added to bring the oil up to the correct level when checked at operating temperature?

How much oil have you added in total?

**May use more in first 5,000km, but then VW say that for all engines and have done for years, decades even.**

It allows Dealership staff to be unconcerned, say they all do that, is normal, never heard of that before etc etc.

If there is excessive oil use tell The Dealer, the Dealer Principal in writing not a receptionist on a Service Desk or a salesperson.

w960_3927-184.png.f6438923d2fbc7549b92817bdbfa6a2f.png

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4 (2).png

Edited by Skoffski

2 hours ago, Rockinghorse said:

My Karoq SEL 1.5 DSG is only 3 months old and is using oil. about every 1000 miles the oil level drops approx 3mm on the dip stick ( on a cold engine left overnight after a journey )

Dealer doesn't seem to be interested. Anyone having the same problem?

How many miles have you done now

51 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

1 litre per 1000 km (600 miles) is permissible.

If mine was using a litre in 600 miles it would be straight back to the dealer.

Never had any car use that much including £50 bangers.

• Like 2

@Tech1e

0.5 litres in 1,000 km / 621 miles is not the permissible limit driving normally / solo in the UK at NSL's in UK weather, 

It is not crossing Alpine Mountain Passes in High Summer towing a caravan....

So no matter what VW like to make out an oil user is an oil user and 8 litres between fixed services or maybe 12 or more between variable is a pith take. 

They actually act on 0.3 litres in 1,000 km after Official Oil Consumption tests and owners kick off enough.

The same rubbish is in Owners Manuals for Petrols & Diesels from 44 kw, 3,4,5,6,8,12 cylinder engines and is just nonsense.

w960_3927-184.png.f6438923d2fbc7549b92817bdbfa6a2f.png.1932b97241939318bfb2d158d65fc256.png

Edited by Skoffski

3 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@Tech1e

0.5 litres in 1,000 km / 621 miles is not the permissible limit driving normally / solo in the UK at NSL's in UK weather, 

It is not crossing Alpine Mountain Passes in High Summer towing a caravan....

So no matter what VW like to make out an oil user is an oil user and 8 litres between fixed services or maybe 12 or more between variable is a pith take. 

They actually act on 0.3 litres in 1,000 km after Official Oil Consumption tests and owners kick off enough.

Thats what skoda say so no claim on oil consumption if more than 0.5l them could claim but new engine they say could use more so back to beginning

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The thing is they have replaced plenty 1.4 TSI Twincharger engines that used less than 0.5 litres in 621 miles, 

like as i mentioned 0.3 litres. 

So what Skoda / VW say and what happens when faced with an Independent Motor Engineering experts report is a different matter.

The number of Main Dealerships that can not even get Official Oil Consumption tests carried out correctly is unbelievable.

Not rocket science carrying out as per the TPI.   It should not be beyond a technician to know a litre of engine oil does not weigh 1,000 grams.

I show this invoice some muppet was responsible for, and the car got a new engine eventually, 

Skoda UK get told regularly about how hopeless some Oil Consumption tests are and how done wrongly.

There was a member just last week that posted an absolute cracker that was just all wrong on the weights of oil and how much was used during the test.

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2) (1).jpg

Screenshot 2019-06-12 at 21.29.37.png

Screenshot 2019-06-12 at 21.30.04.png

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

I have now done 2130 miles. I have had 5 VWs and two Skodas and never had to top up the oil between changes. This  is why I was concerned about having to top up this brand new car. I will persevere and see if the situation improves once everything has bedded in but it does seem wrong to me. I will keep the dealer informed every 1000 miles if it continues to use this same amount. I didn't measure the volume of the oil I put in, only that it was 3mm down below the bottom A line on the dip stick after the 1st 1000 and again after the second 1000 miles. I was also disappointed that the engine is noisier than my 1.2 Octavia but judging by the number of posts on this subject it would appear that the 1.5 TSI is not a quiet engine. I must also add that I am a very gentle driver and have kept the auto box in economy setting since I picked up the car and have not exceeded 2000 rpm as yet. Nearly all of the current mileage has been on two long journeys with about 250 miles on local short  runs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done 19500 miles and car has barely used a drop of oil. 1.5 is not quietest in the world but does the job. I wish 2 LITRE TSI had been an option when I bought mine 

Thanks for your input. My car has just been in to the dealership for a couple of days to check out my concerns.

When I arrived, the Service Dept advised me that these engines can use up to one litre every 600 miles and not be considered excessive. I advised them that if my engine used anything like that, they would be getting the car back.

Having said that I had the opportunity to talk to the chief Technician who advised that they were finding some cars did use some oil in the 1st few thousand miles but that improved gradually as the engine settled in. He also told me that the 1.5 TSI is not the quietest engine and that the tappet sounding noise at tickover was absolutely normal. He said that as the engines were getting lighter but more powerful they were tending to be more noisy. They ran a complete 'health check' on the car and pronounced it 100%. My concerns have at least been registered into the history if anything does get worse.