Curbed 19" Xtremes - smart repair, refurb or replace?

Just bought a vRS 230 with black 19" xtremes.  Wheels are 99% perfect but one has 2 small kerb marks on the outer edge, and another has a couple of spots of whiteworm / corrosion that I'd like to get sorted. The other 2 are fine.  Rather than the dealer sort it, I had money knocked off the purchase price as I'm a control freak and I didn't want a **** job.

Now just trying to work out what I want to do and after some other opinions.  I'm a total perfectionist so want to get something done. Don't want to go solid colour, definitely want to stay with the diamond cut "look".

Been quoted £40 smart repair, £200 full diamond cut or it's about £500+ for 2 new wheels.

• Smart repair - I think I'll get annoyed with how it looks and I'm concerned about longevity. Tbh I'm wondering whether they look better as they are than smart repaired given the damage is so minor!
  • Refurb - As it's a raised lip on the Extremes, I'm concerned the silver areas will be too wide once they're cut back.
  • New wheels - not that keen on spending that kind of money.

Anyone got pics of smart repair / refurb on the xtremes? Are the silver bits noticeably wider after a proper diamond cut refurb?

6 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

if it has enough material and doesn't need welded? go with the smart repair, as its likely to happen again.

Hopefully not, I haven't curbed a wheel on any of the "nice" cars I've owned in the past 10 or so years - all had big wheels and low profile tyres. These marks are from corrosion / previous owner.

Just wondering whether it's actually more cost effective to buy replacement wheels when you consider the resale value of the old ones. Approx 250 per wheel for new ones, but I bet I'd get 100-150 each for the old ones.

Makes diamond cut refurb seem expensive.

Edited by theandywaite

25 minutes ago, theandywaite said:

Hopefully not, I haven't curbed a wheel on any of the "nice" cars I've owned in the past 10 or so years - all had big wheels and low profile tyres. These marks are from corrosion / previous owner.

Just wondering whether it's actually more cost effective to buy replacement wheels when you consider the resale value of the old ones. Approx 250 per wheel for new ones, but I bet I'd get 100-150 each for the old ones.

Makes diamond cut refurb seem expensive.

I doubt you will get genuine 19" Extremes for £250 a wheel?

Lepsons did one of my Extremes - awesome job, was about £125 and you would never know.

If you put it beside a new Extreme, the diamond cut face is very slightly wider, but only if you knew to look for it.

You cannot Smart repair diamond Cut.

Needs to go on a lathe and will cost you in the region of £120 to be done. I'm also told you can only really repair each one about 2 times.

I've got around a 1-2 inch mark on one of mine and I was all ready to pay for the refurb (it will look as good as new, due to what they have to do) but in the end I decided to just leave it and I'll deal with things if they get any worse.

3 minutes ago, Stoofa said:

You cannot Smart repair diamond Cut.

Needs to go on a lathe and will cost you in the region of £120 to be done. I'm also told you can only really repair each one about 2 times.

I've got around a 1-2 inch mark on one of mine and I was all ready to pay for the refurb (it will look as good as new, due to what they have to do) but in the end I decided to just leave it and I'll deal with things if they get any worse.

You can smart repair, but the diamond cut areas are painted silver - hence why it looks naff when you get close. Fair enough for leaving it - I'm tempted to do the same!  But make sure to put a bit of touch up lacquer or something on it as the metal surface is now exposed which means corrosion can get in more easily.

25 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

I doubt you will get genuine 19" Extremes for £250 a wheel?

Lepsons did one of my Extremes - awesome job, was about £125 and you would never know.

If you put it beside a new Extreme, the diamond cut face is very slightly wider, but only if you knew to look for it.

They're £280 + delivery from a local Skoda dealer on eBay. Wait for 10% ebay code. Skip the delivery since they're local. £500 for 2 wheels :)

Don't suppose you have a picture of yours? Would help me decide massively.

6 minutes ago, theandywaite said:

You can smart repair, but the diamond cut areas are painted silver - hence why it looks naff when you get close. Fair enough for leaving it - I'm tempted to do the same!  But make sure to put a bit of touch up lacquer or something on it as the metal surface is now exposed which means corrosion can get in more easily.

They're £280 + delivery from a local Skoda dealer on eBay. Wait for 10% ebay code. Skip the delivery since they're local. £500 for 2 wheels :)

Actually my bad - the listing has black pictured but says anthracite in the description so probably no good.

17 hours ago, theandywaite said:

I'm a total perfectionist...

• New wheels - not that keen on spending that kind of money.

Then you're not a total perfectionist. :giggle:

2 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Will try and get one but car is manky right now and am renovating house so may have to wait...sorry :D

Doesn't need to be perfect - just want to get an idea of thickness of the diamond cut bits.

3 hours ago, theandywaite said:

I didn't find one wheel repair place that would offer a smart repair on the wheels - one exception being a place that said "we can just paint" - but even they admitted that was purely for further protection, it would look terrible.

I just looked at it and I knew it wasn't going to annoy me - it annoys me because it happened and it did annoy me because I knew it was there, but until I read this thread this morning, I'd genuinely forgotten it was there.

My thinking was that it will cost me £120 for a full refurb no matter what the condition - so if that is with a 1-2" mark now or in a years time when it's happened again or the wheel has started to corrode. So might as well save my money now and worry about it when it actually looks bad, rather than having to really look to see the damage.

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

hortons were the cheapest for a full set

1 hour ago, MeteorvRS said:

You can get the Xtreme for less than £250 a wheel if you shop around. I bought 4 for £840 inc VAT.

Any tips on where? Lowest I've seen is £280 per wheel (which is how much they are on Horton's website + the same price from my local dealer).

The only solution is a new wheel had diamond cut repair done on lathe not good ,fair to see can’t be seen from distance but i seen it every day ?? If you have slightly wider tyres like 235/35/19 this problem won’t happen again I have 4 19inch black extreams  with these tyres on plus one new wheel in the box 

098A1931-AB29-483D-BD10-AA1AB2F0F058.jpeg

9A85C638-416A-44C8-ABA1-52EFF318BC67.jpeg

15 hours ago, theandywaite said:

Any tips on where? Lowest I've seen is £280 per wheel (which is how much they are on Horton's website + the same price from my local dealer).

Try Maidstone Skoda. That's where I got mine for £840 but you may not get as good a deal for buying one. I had to ask for a reduction and that's the number they came up with which I thought was very fair. 😊

• 2 weeks later...