Need new shocks. B4 or B6 ? New springs also ?

Hi, i need advice.

I drive a superb 3t facelift 2015, and the shocks is gone. That means the shock tester was at 70% left side and 60% right side.

I like comfy ride, and i newer drive it hard, cornering like crazy, aso, but when i driwe highway, its like driving on gravel. Its not the wheels, they have been checked in a hunter 9700.

So i assume, its simply the wheels bouncing when im driving fast, because the suspension cant keep up ?

The superb is a heavy car, and in its standard configuration also a tall car, with a lot of space over the wheels. But yes i like the comfy ride, just wish there was not so much body roll.

I have decided for 2 different scenarios - First is the fit eibach lowering springs 30/30mm, and new bilstein B4 oem dampers, OR keep the original springs, at the original ride height, and then fit bilstein monotube B6 dampers, which supposedly should be 20% stiffer as oem dampers, and like bilstein advertises "give a sporty ride with original springs".

I think that keeping the orig. springs and b6 dampers, would result in the most comfy and fast response ride - do you agree ? I am not in any way try to make this car a sportscar.

Pls tjek these videos, they are from a skoda Octavia fitted with original springs, and B6 Dampers.

I have an Octavia 3 2014 2.0tdi.  I had similar concerns to you regarding ride and stability.  I ended up going for b6 with original springs.  The ride is NOT smoother.  More controlled, yes, but not smoother.  I think this is down to the oem springs.  I may change them for eibach pro 30/35 as they are supposed to be better matched to the shocks.  I currently have speed bumps at home and work so the normal height was kept.

Cornering is greatly improved as is stability in all conditions, including cruising with cross winds etc.

Weight transfer in s bends is where the car still struggled.  Since fitting a dogbone insert a week ago the sloppy transition between turns has been reduced by 80%.  

I would say you wouldn't be disappointed with either setup.  Eibach springs and B6 dampers would be the ideal setup if you can afford it.  Don't get the springs just for handling.  that can be improved on the eom springs.  I would love quality springs on near standard ride height but is seems impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

B4s are designed to be an OE replacement. For better quality and control. But also similar ride. They're designed to work with factory height springs.
B6s are designed to work with lowering springs and are setup to be a little less smooth in order to offer better handling.

In summary, if you're not changing the springs, get B4s.
If you want to lower the car, get B6s.

1 hour ago, okenobi said:

B4s are designed to be an OE replacement. For better quality and control. But also similar ride. They're designed to work with factory height springs.
B6s are designed to work with lowering springs and are setup to be a little less smooth in order to offer better handling.

In summary, if you're not changing the springs, get B4s.
If you want to lower the car, get B6s.

Sorry , but your information is incorrect.

B4 is as you state en oem replacement designed to standard heights, but works fine with lowering max. 30mm.

B6 is a gas monotube damper designed to work with standard heights, but its a more stiff and responsive damper.

B8 is exactly the same as B6, but a short version designed to be used when lowering the car.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikkelvitus said:

Sorry , but your information is incorrect.

B4 is as you state en oem replacement designed to standard heights, but works fine with lowering max. 30mm.

B6 is a gas monotube damper designed to work with standard heights, but its a more stiff and responsive damper.

B8 is exactly the same as B6, but a short version designed to be used when lowering the car.

I love how the internet makes us all wrong from time to time. And gets other people to correct us.
You are of course right. Thanks.

Either way, I'm still not sure why you'd want B6s with standard springs. 

My general point was.... replace everything and sharpen things up or get new OE bits if you'd rather keep it smooth.
Half and half is just a compromise.

• 1 month later...

Today i ve installed B6 on my 4x4 2017 octavia. 

So fsr done only approx 100 km, but love it. 

I ll write some more in other thread on the feel. 

So far i was suprised how the car is not harsh, but damps so much better.. Much more secure feeling. 

Left original springs as i like the height for snow, curbs etc. 

IMG_20190812_184109.jpg

I need to check if tue height is the same. Should be as springs are responsiblecfor height, but i remember reading being slightly higher with b6. 

IMG_20190812_202641.jpg

Edited by Accim85

Is the 4x4 higher than standard anyway?  I know its not a scout but it could be a slight raise on standard octis.

Glad you like the ride.  I might be lowering mine in the new year so will see how the b6's feel on shorter springs.

I ve measured. I think the height is the same. Maybe 0.5 cm higher. I need to check once more better. 

Ilas for the height of 4x4 comparing to "nornal" version. Actually i ve checked the catalogue.. It says (FL Oct III) that normal version is 141 mm and 4x4 version is 138 mm?! So its actually lower. Probably due to some elements in the suspension. 

Previous versions of octavias 4x4 were i think at least 1.5 cm higher.