Retrofit steering wheel

I want to change the steering wheel of my skoda octavia 5e3 2014 ambition with 4 spokes to the new multifunction steering wheel RS flat. But i have some questions about it, anyone knows if my airbag fits one this new flat steering wheel? 

Screenshot_20190609_002123.jpg

Edited by FilipeSousa

I don't know it for a fact, but I'm 99% sure it is compatible. In an effort to cut down costs Skoda is probably using the same airbags in most of their cars having the same style of steering wheel center piece.

When I changed the steering wheel in my Fabia the old airbag was compatible

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lucwal said:

I don't know it for a fact, but I'm 99% sure it is compatible. In an effort to cut down costs Skoda is probably using the same airbags in most of their cars having the same style of steering wheel center piece.

When I changed the steering wheel in my Fabia the old airbag was compatible

In case the airbag is compatible and I put it on the new steering wheel and the radio controls, it will be necessary to use the vcds? 

I think that whenever you disconnect an airbag an error shows up (orange airbag light on the dashboard). So to get rid of that light, I guess you will have to connect it. (I don't think the MOT would accept that for exemple)

• Like 1

you need to check you have the correct can gateway for a Multi Function Steering Wheel or the functions wont work, the you can use ODBII or VCDS to get the version of gateway. Dont look past me if you need one. i have two spare both CP removed and the correct revision for MFSW controls.

im missing the roland rat joke? i am old enough to remember, i was a huge rat fan but whats the meaning?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

you need to check you have the correct can gateway for a Multi Function Steering Wheel or the functions wont work, the you can use ODBII or VCDS to get the version of gateway. Dont look past me if you need one. i have two spare both CP removed and the correct revision for MFSW controls.

im missing the roland rat joke? i am old enough to remember, i was a huge rat fan but whats the meaning?

Thank you for clarifying this situation. I thought it was enough to change the controls from my steering wheel to the new one, because I was thinking of buying the steering wheel without controls and without airbag.

https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/flat-bottom-steering-wheels-4/oem-flat-bottom-steering-wheel-for-2/

skoda octavia break (www.cockpitautomovel.com).jpg

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Not to me, you clarified my doubts. because I was afraid to order the steering wheel and then it was not possible to ride. By the way, does anyone know if this car equipment store is safe? I'm from Portugal

So I just swapped the wheels over. Nice and straightforward once you've watched a couple of youtubes.

Buttons from 4 spoke pull out and go into the 3 spoke and the air swapped out with no errors.

However, the little plugs for the dsg paddles have no home. It looks like they should fit into a plug in the back of the left button pack by the way the cables lie. I was under the impression it would all have the required bits.

@JohnnyType2 is this something you know about and/or have the bits for? It's all back together now. I'll see if I can get the photos off the eBay add.

Edit: the left cable has a link half way down so it can fold back on itself and the longer right cable (once properly in the guides) ends in a similar place.

Edit 2: these look like the jobbies:

https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/multifunction-switches-buttons-6/oem-3v0919719b-multifunction-switches-for-skoda/

Shame I might have to get more bits. The wheel was a bargain.

Screenshot_20190628-090951.png

Edited by MarkyG82
  • Like 1

Just placed an order for new multifunction buttons with dsg fitment from the link above.  They had a different set to the link with the black surround for £14 more.  Means i can sell my old wheel with a full set of buttons.

If anyone wants a 4 spoke multifunction wheel give me a shout.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Fitted the new buttons and the socket on the right hand side is different to the left thus different to the plug. Looks like the plug is a larger 4 wire variant where the left plug and socket and the right socket are all smaller 3 wire versions.

The left paddle works and being only 3 wires on both sides is it a crazy idea to either hunt down a smaller plug and wire it in or bodge the larger plug to fit? I don't mind it being a fiddle if it works and I am confident in making it safe (airbag, etc.).

The other option is to send the buttons back and ask the supplier about other versions....

• 4 weeks later...
Hey MarkyG82,

I'm glad I found this topic for you. I have EXACTLY the same problem with the retrofitting of the MFSW.

I am also working on converting a 4-spoke MFSW to a flat MFSW with DSG paddles.

See topic:

How did you ultimately resolve this? These are the plugs of the DSG paddles of the new steering wheel:

IMG_0770.thumb.jpg.d68bd3972b9afebba8948715b4fd3e9d.jpg

IMG_0769.thumb.jpg.33a4dbfcfad89e2016c74ae34579a09d.jpg

I hope we can help out eachother!

Did you made a VCDS log to see which gateway your car has?

Edited by HarrieSkoda

Finally sorted the '+' paddle. Got some cheap paddles (for an Audi) off AliExpress and 'acquired' the connector from the cable. The cable on my paddle has 3 wires but the plug on the end has space for 4 hence why it didn't fit. They are push fit connectors so I popped it off the wire ends and fitted it to the cable on the car. Now works a treat. I got the wheel for a good deal but having now spent on the buttons and 'spare' paddles I'm up to roughly £150. Still cheaper than a whole wheel. 

If anyone wants a 3 spoke wheel in great condition I have one for sale I bought but didn't use. It's a direct swap for the 4 spoke, just transfer your buttons across. It has buttons too but one jog wheel is broken. £40 

• Like 1

@Nikonite can you please post some pics with the 3spoke wheel? I might be interested. I have a 4 spoke for manual gearbox so I dont need DSG paddles.

• Like 1

How easy is it to retrofit a paddle wheel, I have a DSG semi auto, annoyingly it revs high as it regens while driving and it would be nice to just paddle gear down rather than rev higher when driving. I’d love a paddle wheel as well as using the stick, is it possible ? Is it just the wheel I need or are there any extra bits I’d need ?

Edited by Neolithian
Bad speeling