Gear Warning Light Automatic

Wilsons500

Hi don't know if anyone can help but My AutoMatic Transmission Light and Engine Malfunction light have come on also white smoke came from the Engine and the Air vents it was quite nasty while it was idling about 5mph

But this happened also about Two weeks ago I had it towed to a Skoda Garage and they said they updated the firmware and it seemed fine for a bit but I think they've missed something.

Anyone got any ideas?

• 1 month later...

I took it to a Skoda dealer

Her is the work that was carried out

Software control upgrade

Fitted gear ECU

Fitted clutch actuator

All quite expensive.

This was about 20 days ago now today I couldn't start the car and the gear warning light was ON this was for about 30mins then started and drove ok.

Please advice in the situation the Car brakes down again

Thank you for your reply, the car I believe is 2015 

If I take it back to this Skoda Garage witch is not the Garage I bought it from what is my Argument that they must fix the problem for no further cost?

I am tempted to take it somewhere else but I can't keep throwing money at it.

12 minutes ago, Wilsons500 said:

the car I believe is 2015

So out of manufacturer warranty. You might be well advised to get a good recovery service (I'd recommend Britannia) and look into a 3rd party warranty insurance.

How much money did you have to pay for the work?

Work has to be guaranteed, and Genuine VW parts have a 2 year warranty.  

If a Official Repairer / Main Dealership did work on your car and there are problems with that work the it is them you need to first deal with.

Whatever country you are in will have Consumer Law. In the UK first call can be to the CAB who can then refer you to Trading Standards.

That should not be neccessary, as you should be contacting repairers ASAP if issues, and also putting them in writing.

Thanks for the replys, my main concern is they will tell me it's another part that needs replacing and there just keep guessing and guessing and the cost just keeps mounting up.

it cost £1500+

First they updateded the software a week later it broke down again but worse.

then they did the ECU and said there diagnostics tool now told them they now needed to replace the clutch actuator.

Edited by Wilsons500

I think you should have been in discussion with Skoda. The Dealership Warranty Manager should have been as well.

The premature demise of your clutch, software update, known issues as in known by Skoda / VW should have you getting Goodwill from Skoda / VW not the Dealership.

Still time to get on with doing that, and not just to get the answer 'You are out of Manufacturers Warranty'. 

• 2 weeks later...