1.2 TSI timing chain issues.

Have read over the past few years about the faulty timing chains fitted to the 2011 1.2 TSI It has got me wondering if the  majority of engine's  from this year have shown problems or are there quite a few high millage still going strong with no problems, is it a case of if or when this chain shows problems.

Sadly many motorists seem to be unaware of the audible signs of chain stretch/ and shortcomings of the tensioner system, and blissfully drive on until one day - failure!

There have  (I believe) been two/three modifications made to the chain and surround items. People have had the earlier modification, and assumed they are now 'safe' - unaware that the original mod was superseded by those that followed.

The dealers themselves were somewhat confused by the changes, and part number changes. The result is that many 1.2 TSI's are still possible victims of impending failure.

Mines a Feb 2011 Fabia and got to 90k.

Only had it changed as a precaution cuz was having a new clutch and LSD fitted even though it wasn't showing signs of it requiring changed.

Have had the car for nearly three years now, bought it because it had annual oil changes which I've kept up.

It probably wouldnt need the tensioner for another few years but.

• 1 month later...

I've started to notice mine has started to rattle if left for a number of days. Its a pretty unmistakable noise when it happens.

Day to day it doesn't do it noticeably but you might hear a very quick version of it pumping up on starting after say the weekend if it hasn't moved. But not always.

I'm not sure what the best course of action is, if i book it in they will no doubt say there's nothing wrong with it.

I just hope the extended warranty will cover it, but i guess that would only be the case after a catastrophic failure. And an ensuing battle with Skoda after the event....

Its one of the reasons why I've kept renewing it every year in hope it would be covered, proper crap really.

Guess there's never been a recall for this problem, denial all way until pushed into shoved!!

Mines a 2013 model, 63 plate. Just coming up to 30K miles, regularly serviced by Skoda dealer.

Edited by Gonzini