Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 3?

SJO

Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 3 Tyres decent? Fronts are nearly slicks and wheels desperately need a refurb. Gona do both at same time. Replace with the same? 🤔

• 3 weeks later...

Goodyear's AS3 is a very good tyre, but Michellin's PilotSport4 just edges it in most reviews. Continental SportContact 6 also rates a tad better than the AS3.

So out of those 3 I've listed I'd say AS3 would be least favourite for me BUT if it was cheaper there's so little in it I'd take the AS3.

In the end I stuck with PS4 on my car purely because I had experience of them and cost difference was negligible.

Edited by ckyliu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've now got some Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5 on the rear of my rear wheel drive car. I thought they felt really grippy and planted when cornering to start with, but I am getting more wheel spin and tail sliding under heavy acceleration, and definitely more tyre squeal than I did with Michellin PilotSport 4. But the F1 Asy5 were £40 cheaper per pair. So far it seems a good tyre (I'm only 100 miles in to them, perhaps they'll bed in a bit more yet) but not quite as good as the PS4.

• Like 1

Not sure if you got your tyres fitted yet but I have just had a set of Asymmetric 5 fitted to my Octavia estate and upto now seem very quiet and plenty of grip.

I have only done a few hundred miles so far but very happy with them in bot dry and wet conditions. Ok its not a performance car but still gets driven quite hard.

I was very happy with the price as well. Set of 4 225/45 R17 XL fully fitted for just under £300.

Oh yes the rim protector on them really works well as I found out. 

Edited by ruffday

5 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Am I the only person who doesn't rate the Asymmetric 3's?  I actually think the GY Efficient Grip performance is a much better tyre in near enough every regard. 

What size are you using?

Reason I ask is i have just fitted some efficient grips to my wifes car and they have no rim protection. They are a small size (185/55/15 I think) so the smaller wheel size with the taller sidewall might make a difference?

35 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

What size are you using?

Reason I ask is i have just fitted some efficient grips to my wifes car and they have no rim protection. They are a small size (185/55/15 I think) so the smaller wheel size with the taller sidewall might make a difference?

I was running 225/40 R18 on my SEAT Leon FR.  IIRC mine did have rim protection but it wasn't as pronounced as other tyres I've had.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BigJase88

Just fitted some f1 eagle assymetric 5’s grip is far superior to the bridgestone potenza’s they replaced

only downside is the increased road noise but the extra grip makes up for this

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the messages guys.

I've still not around to ordering them yet. Still got about 2mm left on the front tyres (at least about 200k miles surely). 

Gona have a hunt and get them ordered and do a full refurb. 

I think i'll probably end up going for the Goodyear if they are cheaper. Its a family car that mainly does a supermarket run so it doesn't really matter.

You're joking? 200k miles. You are perilously close to the legal limit. For driving on anything apart from a bone dry road 3mm is the practical safe limit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SJO said:

I've still not around to ordering them yet. Still got about 2mm left on the front tyres

I think i'll probably end up going for the Goodyear if they are cheaper. Its a family car that mainly does a supermarket run so it doesn't really matter.

I am missing something here, people were trying to help comment on a performance summer tyre, but what you really wanted is a tyre suitable for the supermarket run in any weather

Luckily for you, Goodyear make a different tyre, the vector 4 season gen 2

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

You're joking? 200k miles. You are perilously close to the legal limit. For driving on anything apart from a bone dry road 3mm is the practical safe limit.

Oh dear. Do I need to input a winky face for you to detect the sarcasm Gregoir? 

I thought it was pretty obvious. Nevermind. 

26 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

I am missing something here, people were trying to help comment on a performance summer tyre, but what you really wanted is a tyre suitable for the supermarket run in any weather

Luckily for you, Goodyear make a different tyre, the vector 4 season gen 2

Mainly supermarket / mummy driving. Still put some decent tyres on for the rare time I get to give the old girl some abuse. 

Found some Goodyear Asymmetric 5's for less than 70 quid each with free delivery. Happy days. They'll do. 

• Like 1

Bargain. Just ordered 2 Asymmetric 5's inc vat and delivery for less than £140.

Gawd bless the internet. 

Thanks for the help all. Now just need to find a good refurb company for all 4 wheels before I get them fitted 👍