Goodbye Skoda

8 hours ago, logiclee said:

The feedback I have from the dealership is VAG are trying to reduce warranty claim costs.

Not quite sure where to start with that.  Your warranty is a legal contract - if an item requires warranty work then it requires warranty work. The problem might be with how generous people are with work out side warranty, those goodwill gestures if you like, and I'm afraid everyone is cutting down on that front.

Regarding the Ioniq - I borrowed my uncle's Ioniq several weekends ago whilst my car was in for repair. He likes it, but certainly wouldn't suit me, I rather hated the experience. A drive over to Balamaha on Loch Lomond showed up flaws which I personally could never live with. Positives were better sound from the infotainment and potentially better fuel economy than my 1.4tsi. I say potentially because not in my uncle's hands it's not. It was purchaed because he wanted an auto - nothing wrong there, but he bought in to the hybrid hype and the sales patter from Hyundai. ( he was expecting 70mpg ). Fact is he only uses it for short journys around town which means the batteries don't get a chance to charge hence he's left with a 1.6 engine carrying around the extra weight of a battery pack.

On paper, the plug-in hybrid or EV would have suited him better but as someone correctly points out above, both options cost substantially more to buy. With his mileage, he'd never have recouped a fraction of the extra outlay.

Edited by Guest

46 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Not quite sure where to start with that.  Your warranty is a legal contract - if an item requires warranty work then it requires warranty work. The problem might be with how generous people are with work out side warranty, those goodwill gestures if you like, and I'm afraid everyone is cutting down on that front.

My Mk3 was in for 6 weeks when the DSG clutch pack failed. I've had the same on a Fabia, took 3 days.

Yes there were complications but the dealers are on a much tighter rein now and the approval process is more convoluted and complex.

The goodwill seems to have gone. We see that in some of the coolant threads and the gear lever threads. Even people in warranty struggling to get approval.

Edited by logiclee

The smaller ‘family’ Skoda dealer is a thing of the past in most areas.  It is a very different brand to the one I bought into nearly 10 years and four cars ago. 

The lack of service and poor attitude of dealers (the main one near me is an absolute disgrace in terms of customer service and blatant attempts to rip off the owner come service or MOT time) is as a result of their sales success it seems, which is ironic.  

My Mk3 is a decent car, quick, great Nav (Columbus) and we enjoy the Pano roof, interior space and, of course, the 220bhp, but the Mk2 vRS was a much more solid, well-built and more reliable car.  I had it for 7 fantastic years. 

I’m off elsewhere, as is Mrs Dunc.  

Shame. 

Enjoy your new car @MoggyTech

Picked the Ioniq up at noon on Monday. Had quite a few trips to make, so it got a good mixture of town, urban and motorway driving. Covered  170 miles, and it returned 70.2 MPG.

You just have to get your head round how a hybrid works. The battery pack is small and lives under the rear seats, so you get a spare wheel, and multi link rear suspension. There is no way to charge the battery other than going downhill, and brake regeneration.

When you lift off the throttle you get a small amount of regen from the electric motor. Just touching the brakes gives you max regen, as the clutch disengages the engine (which then shuts off) and the electric motor just acts like a huge alternator.

Took me a while to figure out how they managed this. the drive-train is gearbox (Six speed DCT) > Electric motor mounted to the gearbox, > twin clutch pack > engine. All of that is inline. Very clever.

Sports mode using the flappy paddles is great fun on twisty B roads. The active cruise control is excellent, as you can set 4 different follow ranges, and you get an icon that tells you when to pull out to overtake on the motorway, the radar seems to be adaptive, and very accurate. The following a car icon goes out, so you don't the cruise control slowing you down if the outside lane is clear.

Freebies thrown in, £250 insurance excess voucher no matter who you are insured with. 3 years servicing, £1,000 off for taking the test drive. 

• Like 2

Quick update: 8 days and 700 miles later on board display says I am getting 70.2 MPG, actual MPG calculated at 70.7 MPG, so at last a car that has an accurate computer.

• Like 2

Been a very long time since I was here.

Replaced my Octavia1.0 with an Ioniq

A full EV 

I detest the very idea of hybrids ,either commit or don't,full EV ain't that big a comprise just accepted home charging is the answer.

Anyway the Ioniq is just as spacious excluding boot obviously,far far far more refined ,ride quality is in a different planet entirely.and handling is no wore than the Octavia.

It's much quicker far better looking costs absolutely fa to run and does 200k on a charge all day long.

And crucially has a 5/8 year car/battery warranty not that I expect it to do an Octavia re falling apart around my ears.

Would I ever buy an ICE car again?

A most emphatic NO.

My new goal is a used model 3 in 2/3 years

• Like 2