service indicater

my car is now telling me it needs to be serviced just 8000 miles since the last service. i know for a fact that the discs and pads on the front are getting low. will this have brought the service indicater on? if so if i change the discs and pads myself will it reset?

off to wales tomoz so really need advice tonight!!!

thanks

adam

The pad wear indicator is on the nearside front pad (the inner pad). When this has worn through the brake pad indicator light comes on (orange circle with brackets around it (O) )

However, on my car the offside pads reached a minimum level before the nearside one and hence, the pads needed changing before the indicator came on.

The service indicator has nothing at all to do with the brakes.

It may be worth taking the front wheels off and checking the pad thickness.

The Service Indicator I think comes on depending on the condition of the oil, that is, if you are on variable servicing and use the correct oil i.e. VW 506 00 or VW 506 01.

I know the dealer that did my last services amended the variable servicing to annual servicing in error and about 3 weeks ago the service indicator came on, I got then to change it back to variable servicing. I used Castrol SLX oil.

However, next time I will use Fuchs Oil (no joke her mate) from Germany and will get it from www. opieoils.co.uk and they give Briskoda members discount as well.

Fuchs Oil latest specification is VW 507 00 and apparently they work closely with VW as well.

Indicator will need reseting by the dealer.

if on variable do NOT follow the instructions in the user manual to reset the indicator. It will mess up the schedule and put you on fixed, even though the ecu is coded for variable.

I had a similar thing happen, with the indicator coming on after about 8000 miles when I was expecting about 16-17K miles as I had with the previous service interval. I took the car to the dealer, and they reset the service indicator, and car continued fine for another ~8K to bring it to the expected mileage. The dealers took about 30 seconds to nip outside and reset the indicator.