Retrofitting flat MFSW with DSG paddles to an 2013 Octavia questions

Hello forum!

I have looked through different topics, but I cannot get it right. That is why I open this new topic.

I have a Skoda Octavia from '10 2013. It is a DSG-7 gear.

I have since carried out many updates on the Octavia. Now I am working on a steering wheel project. Unfortunately, I have a number of questions that I cannot solve myself and try to solve with your knowledge.

I have been able to buy an MFSW with flattened bottom and DSG paddles (5E0419091 BT CXA) from a 2018 Octavia. This handlebar has the VIEW button, so I would have to transfer the multifunction buttons of my current handlebar.

Unfortunately, my current steering wheel controls have no inputs for the plugs coming from the DSG paddles.

That's why I have to look for the same steering wheel controls as my current MFSW.

Now my question is whether I will also need another gateway to get the new MFSW working.

From a VCDS log of my car I can extract from line 19 that my Octavia is equipped with a can-mid (CW MQB Mid).

Gateway SW: 5Q0907530L
Gateway HW: 5Q0907530E

Do I have to install a new gateway to get the DSG paddles working?

Or should it be possible with my Octavia's current gateway?

According to the link below it is said that these components are needed to realize an MFSW, but I already have an MFSW. The only thing that comes with it is the DSG paddles.

https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/multifunction-switches-buttons-2/oem-5e0919719b-multifunction-steering-wheel-buttons/

1x buttons 5E0919719B
1X gateway 5Q0907530AC
1X multifunctional wiring 5E0971584A

The steering wheel control from the link is the one I need for the new MFSW. This is with the DSG paddle plugs.

Who can help me with this big issue. Any help is welcome!

Hi. In answer to your question on the other thread I haven't done a scan. I already had mfsw and all the stuff I read said it would work with no coding or new gateway etc. The last part I need is a new plug to change the one on the + side of my steering wheel. The one on there is too big for some reason. Confident I can swap it to a smaller one. Ordered some cheap paddles from China with plugs on so fingers crossed I'll have all I need soon. - paddle works fine.

Hey @MarkyG82! Thanks for your fast reply!

What type Octavia do you have? Can you make a log of your car with VCDS?

I’m wondering if my MQB Mid can handle the DSG paddles, or I need to change it for a MQB High one...

That’s the biggest question I currently have. VCDS experts in the house who already did this swap?

To your story; it seems like the cables of your flippers are much longer than mines... weird. Are you sure they are OEM?

The 2 plugs of my paddles are similar in size. Why would they use different sizes?

Hope some guru’s can help us out, before I’m going to spend like €150,- extra for buttons & gateway...

Nobody here who can give me more information about the retrofitting?

I guess more people did this MFSW swap..?! Some VCDS guru’s must know if it will work correctly if they see the information about my gateway.

If you guys need my VCDS log of rule 16 & 19 I can upload it here.

Please help me, I’m really confused right now... 😢

Thanks @SashaGrace!

I’m new to the forum, but people sell it on this Briskoda forum?

Gateway probably needed: 5Q0907530AC

Maybe also the right buttons with DSG paddles input will be sold?

Buttons probably needed with DSG paddles input: 5E0919719B

If it’s only 25, that’s not much. Saw it @ car equipment for about €80,-.

Which site do you use to buy parts Sasha? I saw your topic and you also did some nice updates, thumbs up!

Edited by HarrieSkoda

Okai, that sounds fair to me.

Like you changed alot to your car, can you tell me it's alot work to fit a new Gateway?

Where in the car it's located btw?

I'm thinking about to swap MFSW, and try to activate them in VCDS.

If it's not going to work, I will order the new Gateway... Only if it's an easy place of the Gateway, you following me 😋?

It’s above the brake pedal. Whether new or used the Gateway will need the component protection removing before it will work in the car then FeC’s must be added such as drive mode, cruise control, start stop etc. Once that’s been done you can copy the coding from your old Gateway across with VCDS to do the rest :)

Just to note, why not use the wheel controls in the wheel already? If you are using the buttons from your MY13 Octy and paddles from the MY19 wheel you will have a mismatch; the buttons will be backlit green but the paddles will be white. Keep the MY19 buttons, it’ll all match then. I need a set to finish my VC install but I have been putting off spending the money tbh.

Hallo daar @ SashaGrace , bedankt voor het antwoorden!

Okai, dus de Gateway is gemakkelijk te vinden en te vervangen? Ik heb zelf geen VCDS, maar ik heb iemand die dit voor mij kan doen.

Goede zaak van de componentbescherming. Kan iemand met VCDS dit verwijderen? Of moet het door de verkopende persoon worden gedaan? Ik zal het ook aan mijn VCDS-persoon vragen.

Over de wielbedieningen; die van het nieuwe stuur komen niet overeen met mijn MY13-knoppen, kijk hier beneden.

MY13 MFSW-functies, dus ik heb momenteel (maar heb er een nodig met DSG-ingangen):

1904181227_Stuurwielbedieningbenodigd.jpg.5ff644fcb110918ccee802bbdc2233da.jpg

MY18 MFSW-functies die in de MFSW waren toen ik hem kocht:

1065085309_Stuurwielbedieninginbezit.jpg.4da559900f73f6ec2d8fb2a26555fc21.jpg

Dus ik kan de knoppen (3V0919719F) van de MY18 MFSW niet gebruiken en deze zijn te koop ..

Ik heb ook een sleepring / klokveer (5Q0953549E) voor Octavia, Golf 7, A3, Touran, Leon te koop, omdat ik denk dat ik deze niet nodig heb voor de aanpassing, wel?

Ik doe niet echt de moeite wanneer de knoppen groen worden en de paddles wit worden. Ik vind zelfs dat het er cool uitziet!

Ik begrijp niet echt wat je bedoelt met de afkortingen zoals FeC's, VC .

Edited by HarrieSkoda

MY19 buttons will still work, the functions will still work correctly but if you are happy with the button colours that’s not a problem. Shame you aren’t selling next month, after pay day I could do with a set of MY19 buttons to finish my Virtual cockpit (VC) retrofit.

Component Protection will need removing by the dealer or someone with ODIS-E, VCDS won’t do it. When the Gateway is fitted it will need CP removing and to activate features such as drive mode, start stop and cruise control the Feature Enablement Codes (FeC’s) need activating with ODIS. The rest can be done with VCDS.

If I use MY18 buttons, I completely got wrong buttons for the functions.... right?

I like the OEM style if I retrofit. Again I like the difference between green buttons and white flippers I think......

I will PM u in a bit, ok?

The functions will correct themselves to match the buttons. The view button may not work out of the box (I am not sure) but if it doesn’t, have your cluster firmware updated to the MY19 firmware and it’ll definitely work then. You will need the file and VCP to upload.

• 1 month later...

It finally works well!!!!

How did I finally fixed it? Well our Czhech friend was right!!!! White DSG-paddles CAN'T communicate with green buttons.

Now I changed white DSG-paddles for green ones, it works as it should be!!!! I didn't need to code it with VCDS, it just was plug&play.

For the record; I got a 2013 Octavia DSG-7 with a MQB Gateway MID!

So now this is how it looks like...... Happy man!

IMG_1108.thumb.jpg.53c9875e278460f9ccf1791505336def.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...