Scraping sensation

Hi 

I haven’t had my towbar fitted yet btw (Wednesday)

I've noticed a strange scraping sensation when I go over a speed hump on a hill (yes they have such a thing around here), my speed is low and I’ve looked under the car and nothing is hanging down. 

I just wondered what it could be? It certainly ‘feels’ like something hanging and scraping but as said there’s nothing there

what the whodyamaflip is it? Iyo 

Edit: just took the car over it again and you can hear it too, rather annoyingly though the camera failed to pick it up 

Edited by Mee

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

Wheel arch liner scraping on a tyre? Ie not underneath the car. 

Really?

I’ll have to get and have a look 

I assume that I’m looking at the tyre for rub marks btw?

Is this a speed bump you have been over before? And at what point do you feel the scrape, when the front types meet the road on the other side of the road after the bump?

I have had mud flaps scrap when I go too slow over a speed bump.

Sills scape when going over a particularly nasty speed bump that caused the car to dip down on the other side.

Undertray scrape when going over those part lane bumps with wheels either side of the bump, if they again are a bit too tall.

Could it be something in the travel of the suspension making a noise/scrape, rather than something scraping on the hump or wheels?

If you push down on the front/rear when the car is still, can you hear or feel it?

So sorry for the delay in responding. 

I’ve noticed that it only does it at very low speed, any faster and it seems fine? I don’t know if this is because I’m simply not noticing it though iykwim 

also going downhill on the same speed hump there’s no scraping sound / sensation, so it can’t be the size of the hump surely?

There’s no play it seems when I push each corner of the suspension either 

I'm really unsure of what it could be?

20 hours ago, Mee said:

I’ve noticed that it only does it at very low speed, any faster and it seems fine? I don’t know if this is because I’m simply not noticing it though iykwim 

also going downhill on the same speed hump there’s no scraping sound / sensation, so it can’t be the size of the hump surely?

The suspension on my VRS estate creaks like a banshee on certain days over the smallest of speed bumps. I attribute it to the lube not making itself known on demand, a bit like the cheapo rear suspension on children's bikes, creaking away when the kids pedal. 

As others have mentioned, my mudflaps scrape but usually when I'm reversing up the drive and catch on the kerbs edge, never had an issue with speed bumps. However, the sound is completely different it's more of a dull scrape than the loud creak of the suspension over bumps! Does your car have flaps fitted? 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:16, Mee said:

If you have mud flaps fitted and it only happens when going very slow, could well be the bottom of the mud flap catching the speed bump as when the front suspension dips when it lands on the other side. When you are going a bit faster, the tyre is just that little bit further away, so it doesn't scrape. Have a feel of the bottom of the mud flap and see if it feels rough. If it does, then it has been scraped on something.

To be absolutely sure if it is the flap, put some tape over the bottom of the flap and drive over the bump slowly. If it is rough after then that is what is catching.

And given the quality of some speed bumps I have been over, they could well be uneven in shape, or tarmac crumbling on far side.

• Like 1

I do indeed have mud flaps , I’m quite busy with work this week, but as soon as I get a chance I’ll have to have a look 😊

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve finally had chance to check the mud flaps , no grazing. 

Which re-begs the question as to what it could be?