Buying used 2016 - Advice re. which engine/ transmission

Hi all

Seeking advice from those with more knowledge than me re. Mk3 Octavias.

I am looking to buy a second hand hatchback model, ideally 2016 or later for under £10k. Probably SE or SE L spec. I would prefer automatic (DSG) unless people think that this is too risky in the used market?

There are a good number of options available on AutoTrader near me (https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?radius=100&postcode=ha84nh&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=SKODA&model=OCTAVIA&price-from=500&price-to=10000&year-from=2016&maximum-mileage=70000&body-type=Hatchback&co2-emissions-cars=TO_120) but I need a bit of advice re. which engines to go for/ avoid and what to look out for.

For info I do c. 10k miles p.a, commuting on a mixture of motorway (M25 traffic) and A roads  - between 2.5 and 3hrs per day.

Running costs and comfort are important to me. 

Which engines would you recommend? If I go Automatic, is it best to find lower mileage versions to avoid issues/ costs?

Sorry for all the questions but there are too many options out there (TSi vs TDi, 1.6 vs 2.0)

(P.S the postcode in the autotrader search in the link isn't mine but close by for data protection!)

40 minutes ago, lobsta100 said:

Hi all

Seeking advice from those with more knowledge than me re. Mk3 Octavias.

I am looking to buy a second hand hatchback model, ideally 2016 or later for under £10k. Probably SE or SE L spec. I would prefer automatic (DSG) unless people think that this is too risky in the used market?

There are a good number of options available on AutoTrader near me (https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?radius=100&postcode=ha84nh&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=SKODA&model=OCTAVIA&price-from=500&price-to=10000&year-from=2016&maximum-mileage=70000&body-type=Hatchback&co2-emissions-cars=TO_120) but I need a bit of advice re. which engines to go for/ avoid and what to look out for.

For info I do c. 10k miles p.a, commuting on a mixture of motorway (M25 traffic) and A roads  - between 2.5 and 3hrs per day.

Running costs and comfort are important to me. 

Which engines would you recommend? If I go Automatic, is it best to find lower mileage versions to avoid issues/ costs?

Sorry for all the questions but there are too many options out there (TSi vs TDi, 1.6 vs 2.0)

(P.S the postcode in the autotrader search in the link isn't mine but close by for data protection!)

2016 might be bit of a push for £10k or you do find something it'll be high mileage. The 1.4 tsi is a sweet little engine with the DSG, on your mileage forget diesel especially in the traffic you'll encounter, lots of the 1.5tsi have issues so, the 1.4 tsi is the 1 for you. Unless you love the shape forget the 10litre larger estate, it'll just cost you more to buy.

I had the SE L predesessor the Elegance & other than bad rear suspension it was very good

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

2016 might be bit of a push for £10k or you do find something it'll be high mileage. The 1.4 tsi is a sweet little engine with the DSG, on your mileage forget diesel especially in the traffic you'll encounter, lots of the 1.5tsi have issues so, the 1.4 tsi is the 1 for you. Unless you love the shape forget the 10litre larger estate, it'll just cost you more to buy.

I had the SE L predesessor the Elegance & other than bad rear suspension it was very good

Thanks so much for the reply. 

£10k is my budget so will try and be flexible re age. 

I will look into the 1.4tsi DSG. Does this have the same issue with reliability as some of the diesel DSGs?

Anything I should look out for in the service history in particular? 

Thanks again

I have also just changed to an Octavia, mostly for commuting/family runaround.  I went for a 17 plate (face lift) £12k, but ignoring that I had the same engine gearbox searching.

I went for a TDi 2.0 150 SE L DSG Estate with 33K miles in the end with a couple of extras.  Why?.... The TDi is an engine I know well from VW cars I have had and trust, I feel the 1.6 would be too small and under too much effort for my needs.  I went for the DSG as my wife sits in traffic a lot and its an easy drive.  I also had the DSG in my 18 VW Golf R and loved it, admittedly the Octavia is not an R but the box was smooth and worked well.

manual would have been fine but the commuting fixed it for us so I went DSG over manual, but you will have to pay more and there are less about. 

Petrol was not an option for me because I guess I will do 12-15k a year and mostly on longer runs where the economy of the diesel wins. If you do short runs a Petrol may be better, I have little knowledge of the Octavia petrol's so bow to others on that.

I test drove mine this week and it was an easy drive and pulled well enough, I did not look for a Vrs, I had a Mk3 Vrs estate before and liked it but my wife hated the ride, even with DCC (again I had that on my R with 18s) it would not have kept her happy!  

I have to say the Octavia I have gone for is a bit dull or 'boring' but that's exactly what I wanted this time round for a couple of years running up and down motorways and weekend load lugging.

Test drive any you are thinking of and list the options you want, for me cruise and reversing sensors were 'essential'.

Good luck!!

Edited by matrix2020

8 minutes ago, lobsta100 said:

Thanks so much for the reply. 

£10k is my budget so will try and be flexible re age. 

I will look into the 1.4tsi DSG. Does this have the same issue with reliability as some of the diesel DSGs?

Anything I should look out for in the service history in particular? 

Thanks again

No issues I heard of on the 1.4tsi with the DSG, I did have a software update on mine in 2015 during a service but TBH, I ragged the F outta mine for 42k miles & couldn't feel any difference from new

17 minutes ago, matrix2020 said:

I have also just changed to an Octavia, mostly for commuting/family runaround.  I went for a 17 plate (face lift) £12k, but ignoring that I had the same engine gearbox searching.

I went for a TDi 2.0 150 SE L DSG Estate with 33K miles in the end with a couple of extras.  Why?.... The TDi is an engine I know well from VW cars I have had and trust, I feel the 1.6 would be too small and under too much effort for my needs.  I went for the DSG as my wife sits in traffic a lot and its an easy drive.  I also had the DSG in my 18 VW Golf R and loved it, admittedly the Octavia is not an R but the box was smooth and worked well.

manual would have been fine but the commuting fixed it for us so I went DSG over manual, but you will have to pay more and there are less about. 

Petrol was not an option for me because I guess I will do 12-15k a year and mostly on longer runs where the economy of the diesel wins. If you do short runs a Petrol may be better, I have little knowledge of the Octavia petrol's so bow to others on that.

I test drove mine this week and it was an easy drive and pulled well enough, I did not look for a Vrs, I had a Mk3 Vrs estate before and liked it but my wife hated the ride, even with DCC (again I had that on my R with 18s) it would not have kept her happy!  

I have to say the Octavia I have gone for is a bit dull or 'boring' but that's exactly what I wanted this time round for a couple of years running up and down motorways and weekend load lugging.

Test drive any you are thinking of and list the options you want, for me cruise and reversing sensors were 'essential'.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Made a mistake in my OP as I actually drive 12k pa - it's right on the cusp of justifying petrol vs diesel in terms of economy I think - my morning journeys are often in stop start traffic.

I think I am basically choosing between the 1.4TSi and 2.0TDi, ideally with a DSG box but if price dictates then it will be manual. Am trying to find SE or SE L trim as these have the things I need.

Luckily there's a good supply out there but it is weeding out the bad eggs to find the good deals!

Just now, vRSWitter said:

On 12k pa I'd avoid the diesel full stop. I've got the 2.0 TDI and love it but it is rough compared to the 1.4 TSI and the regens are annoying.

Ok sounds like the 1.4TSi is the way forward - thanks for the advice

Now just need to decide whether I can live with a manual in the stop-start M25 traffic which will give me a much wider selection at my budget!

12k annual means 50-55 miles commute each day? 2.5-3 hours is a very long time sitting in traffic. Have you considered electric?

I commute 60 miles each day, luckily only 1.5 hours each day, up and down the M1, N London to south Bedfordshire. I run 2 cars because my wife sometimes want to drive somewhere. Our £9000 Nissan Leaf (top spec '64 reg, bought in 2017) gets used 7 days a week, either for my commute or driven by wife. Our Skoda gets used as second car, load hauler and long distance car. With 2.0 TDI DSG in the Skoda, I get ~55mpg over whole of my ownership. But each day still costs me ~£6 in diesel for my commute, whereas less than £2 of electricity.

Going petrol will probably cost you ~£6-7 for your 50 miles heavily congested commute. It'll cost no more than my £2 in electric because electric motor will not use energy when sitting idle and it can recapture braking energy instead of having it waste as heat.

If this is your only car, a petrol hybrid will be the best for your heavily congested road. Toyota hybrids do not use clutch, does not having gear shifts and high reliability record. Apart from electric cars, Toyota hybrids are most reliable and lowest running cost for your use-case. It's the drivetrain I choose if I can only run 1 car.

12 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

12k annual means 50-55 miles commute each day? 2.5-3 hours is a very long time sitting in traffic. Have you considered electric?

I commute 60 miles each day, luckily only 1.5 hours each day, up and down the M1, N London to south Bedfordshire. I run 2 cars because my wife sometimes want to drive somewhere. Our £9000 Nissan Leaf (top spec '64 reg, bought in 2017) gets used 7 days a week, either for my commute or driven by wife. Our Skoda gets used as second car, load hauler and long distance car. With 2.0 TDI DSG in the Skoda, I get ~55mpg over whole of my ownership. But each day still costs me ~£6 in diesel for my commute, whereas less than £2 of electricity.

Going petrol will probably cost you ~£6-7 for your 50 miles heavily congested commute. It'll cost no more than my £2 in electric because electric motor will not use energy when sitting idle and it can recapture braking energy instead of having it waste as heat.

If this is your only car, a petrol hybrid will be the best for your heavily congested road. Toyota hybrids do not use clutch, does not having gear shifts and high reliability record. Apart from electric cars, Toyota hybrids are most reliable and lowest running cost for your use-case. It's the drivetrain I choose if I can only run 1 car.

I am probably being overly prudent and on an average day I am doing a 60 mile round trip taking in total 2hrs 15mins. It’s definitely not efficient driving (NW London to Heathrow). 

For sure i would consider electric or petrol hybrid but I wasn’t sure if for my £10k budget I could get a comfortable enough, well built and reliable enough car. 

This is is a second car. My wife drives our main family car (a Kia Carens 7 seater) as we have 4 kids. My car is 90% for my commute but needs the space in case I need to take some of the kids somewhere or transport something big in the boot. 

Thanks for the advice

As mentioned by others, the 1.4 is a peach.

The SE Sport is a nice spec too on the pre-facelift, it was a bit of a runout special before the facelift, I think 65/16 plate. From memory it was an SE plus nicer wheels, xenon front lights, LED rear lights, Amundsen Navigation and a cloth version of the VRS seats. Not super common but worth looking at if one crops up in budget. 

The Cat S "SE Sport" on page 2 of your search results is just a mislabeled SE. 

1 minute ago, uchuff said:

As mentioned by others, the 1.4 is a peach.

The SE Sport is a nice spec too on the pre-facelift, it was a bit of a runout special before the facelift, I think 65/16 plate. From memory it was an SE plus nicer wheels, xenon front lights, LED rear lights, Amundsen Navigation and a cloth version of the VRS seats. Not super common but worth looking at if one crops up in budget. 

The Cat S "SE Sport" on page 2 of your search results is just a mislabeled SE. 

Thanks I’ll have a look for that spec - not sure I’ve seen any around so far

2 minutes ago, lobsta100 said:

Thanks I’ll have a look for that spec - not sure I’ve seen any around so far

Looks like I missed Multi Function Sports Steering Wheel and Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror from the upgrades over SE:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/96616/skoda-octavia-gets-new-se-sport-and-se-technology-models