Losing coolant?

Hi,

Having recently purchased Octavia about 8 weeks ago, and getting used to this car, all was well until last week noticed coolant level had dropped to below minimum. I've topped up and kept an eye but seems to be dropping slightly. 

Just wondering, is there an issue with this engine, (1.4 tsi 140bhp)  losing coolant, cant see any leaks anywhere and temperature always stable.

Thanks

I think they do/can have issue.

Pull up a chair, sit down with a beer and search coolant. Loads of threads about various bits and bobs.

Mine might have issues too, but the expansion bottle is so filthy I want to fit a new one first so I can actually keep a proper eye on it.

Although, I'm darned if I can find where I can search a microfiche to get a part number.

Good luck and keep us imformed

15 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@Northlodge - It's such a common request that most parts men won't even have to look it up if you go to a dealership and say "I need an expansion bottle for a $year $model with $engine please?"

OK cool, noted.

I see they are readily available on e-bay, but just wanted to be sure to get one of the newer ones without the desiccant bag.

On 11/08/2019 at 12:47, John140 said:

what's the deal with expansion bottle, just don't seal properly?

Yes: It can (not has in your case, can generally) develop leaks around the base thread, the seam where the mouldings were joined, or the pressure cap.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be surprised that you have to top the coolant up from time to time over the coming weeks. The cooling system is notorious for air locks and can give the impression you have a leak until it settles down. 

Exactly.

I had my waterpump replaced by an independent garage and they said they spent hours bleeding it but I still had to add smaller and smaller amounts for about a week every morning.

The factory repair manual says coolant is to be filled in using a "special tool" after it has been drained (e.g. on water pump replacement). This tool is actually a pump that forces the coolant in under pressure (has an adapter cap for the reservoir).