2017 Kodiaq - poor interior trim quality

Well, well, well.... As soon as I get the car back to rude health - new wheel centres owing to delamination, new door edge protector on account of the old one shattering and new sun glasses holder as the old one broke and dangled loosely leaving my forehead exposed to a nasty, angular piece of plastic which tore through my receding hairline with increasing regularity.... another problem arises!  After a **** in a white van clattered my door mirror I was readjusting the glass when the electric mirror control panel disappeared in to the door handle!!  I'm getting more and more concerned of what ownership outside of warranty holds...... Whilst a great all round vehicle, I feel my Kodiaq is let down by interior trim quality. My 18 year old Audi Allroad puts it to shame. 

It's a bloody war out there to bring quickly new models to the market and designer and engineer getting great big bonus to make new model as cheap as possible...my 2014 superb was way better builded than my kodiaq...that is the truth unfortunately 😞

Assuming it was a used buy, then you've no idea how rough or ham fisted the previous owner/s were.

It often surprises me how little care is taken with their cars by some people. Stabbing buttons, rarving levers and handles, dragging feet and bums over the interior, chucking stuff in the boot, slamming doors. That's before mechanical sympathy is discussed.

There is every chance the sunglasses holder was mauled by someone else, so not neccessarily indicitive of inferior build quality.

The mirror adjustment knob is relatively common issue across all models. It has been an issue afflicted to early Kodiaq's. It's easily knocked, pushed against and lent on. I've seen people stab at them like a games consoles joystick. For all we know someone has weakened it and your recent adjustment was enough to induce the failure.

Corroding centre caps are usually a sign of overly aggressive / acidic wheel cleaners. They definately aren't a Skoda strong point, but again I think its unfair to blame build quality.

If Audi is your benchmark then it is likley worse is to come.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Aye, all of what you say is possible. It was used when purchased but in perfect condition and bought through a Skoda dealership. 

Audi isn't my sole benchmark though. Another might be a recently sold Skoda Octavia vRS MK1 which appears to have benefited from higher quality interior fittings than my Kodiaq. 

At the end of the day, the Kodiaq is a family vehicle and by definition should be capable of sustaining family life and treatment less mistreatment of course. My suspicion is Skoda cost shavings has lessened its durability.  The sun glasses holder illustrating the point nicely. It's a dreadfully flimsy design constructed with hard (and sharp!!) plastic with brittle hinges. 

It's still a great vehicle though and I'd have another in a shot.  But I'd willingly pay a few bucks more for more durable interior fittings as there's little out there to compete for my money as she's such a fine looking, competent car.  

Both of my MkII Octavia's and MkII Superb were better built than the Kodiaq.

The biggest change since both of those cars were designed is people's attitudes to consumer goods. Cars are quickly catching up with white goods i.e a shorter design life, no longer worth repairing. Throw it away and buy a new one.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My car is in the dealers this coming Monday to have the sunglass holder replaced and the electric mirror switch warranty assessed. The dealer needs to check whether failure is due to maltreatment. I noticed the switch that failed is push fit, but it lacks metal spring clips you'd normally associate with this design. In place of metal clips, there are thin (dare i say weak) plastic locating lugs.  Anyhoo.... let's see what the dealer says. I'll also be asking for an inspection of my rear air vents as both adjustment tabs have parted company with the unit!  I'm going to have a chat with the sales person about closing down the PCP and seeing whether I've any money remaining to put down on another vehicle. I've recently been in a Superb Outdoor and the interior felt sturdier. I'm envisaging a situation where I'm presented with a large bill at the end of the contract to bring the vehicle up to saleable condition on account of the appearance of the interior.  It's poor condition not caused through neglect I hasten to add.  Let's see what Monday brings....

2 hours ago, MarlboroLites said:

My car is in the dealers this coming Monday to have the sunglass holder replaced and the electric mirror switch warranty assessed. The dealer needs to check whether failure is due to maltreatment. I noticed the switch that failed is push fit, but it lacks metal spring clips you'd normally associate with this design. In place of metal clips, there are thin (dare i say weak) plastic locating lugs.  Anyhoo.... let's see what the dealer says. I'll also be asking for an inspection of my rear air vents as both adjustment tabs have parted company with the unit!  I'm going to have a chat with the sales person about closing down the PCP and seeing whether I've any money remaining to put down on another vehicle. I've recently been in a Superb Outdoor and the interior felt sturdier. I'm envisaging a situation where I'm presented with a large bill at the end of the contract to bring the vehicle up to saleable condition on account of the appearance of the interior.  It's poor condition not caused through neglect I hasten to add.  Let's see what Monday brings....

I’ve just traded in my Superb mkIII for a Kodiaq and I have found the opposite. The Kodiaq is infinitely better, build quality wise. That could be of course that my Superb was one of the first of the mkIII (august 2015) and my Kodiaq a MY20 so the Superb was rushed out waiting for customers to find the faults (and they were plentiful) and the Kodiaq benefiting from 2+ years of development (and customers finding the faults) since release.

Edited by Paulkpr

It does seem unusual, we're not talking one or two suspect pieces of trim here, the list is long.

And aside from the door edge protectors I've not seen any other similar threads on poor interior quality on the Kodiaq, or any other Skoda model really.

Things like air vents and sunglasses holders are easily knocked. What one person deems as being gentle is perhaps another persons excessive force, so either the OP doesn't realise their own strength, is unnecessarily rough (like my wife when it comes to shutting doors and stabbing, rather than pressing, the radio buttons!), or the car has had a rough life with it's previous owner.

If the interior quality was indeed substandard then these issues would be plentiful and be plaguing lots of other Kodiaq's too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late to update this thread....

So, the Kodiaq was duly inspected by my main dealer. Their investigation revealed that the electric mirror switch was held in place with blue tac as one of the locating tabs was broken. A new panel is on order. Definitely (and understandably) not covered by the warranty. Additionally, the rear air vent tab had been fixed previously. I'll get my super glue out. At least the sun glasses holder has been returned to full functionality. 

All this anecdotal evidence led me to investigate the previous owner, who appears to go by the name of Guy, his address being care of the Gorilla enclosure, Bristol Zoo!

• Haha 2

On 22/10/2019 at 11:24, silver1011 said:

(like my wife when it comes to shutting doors and stabbing, rather than pressing, the radio buttons!)

Ha ha, my wife too, who in short order has managed to scratch the face of every bloody soft touch button in the Allroad! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My woes continue...... my wife attempted to open the rear driver window from the driver's seat this morning. A massive fail on account of the plastic switch disintegrating!! In place of the switch is a razor sharp phalanx. To my disappoint the main dealer has stated this is wear and tear. The switch housing is on back order. It'll cost around £25. The electric switch unit is circa £70. I've bought a 2nd hand one for £40. I'll fit it myself. The legacy of Guy continues......

Could this not be related to the damage to the mirror adjustment switch, they are located in the same position?

If a previous owner saw fit to fix it using Blu Tac then chances are they've broken the electric window switch panel too?

I did wonder about her hairy back SimonAudi!

I don't think so Simon1011. There's a distance between them with the driver's window switch inbetween. It is the very end of the switch that failed. Where there's that nice chrome trim.

I've asked the dealer to investigate options. Either another Kodiaq if a deal can be thrashed out...but one without brittle plastic syndrome. Or a PCP cancellation. There's 3 years remaining on my current one.....and a lot of interior trim could break in that timescale. 

Yes they did..... to investigate why the wing mirror switch disappeared within the dark recesses of the door. Neither opening nor closing requires anything other than a gentle prod. It fractured when my wife attempted to open the window....so during the  downwards prod. 

Edited by MarlboroLites
Inaccurate switch description

• 1 month later...

Just in case there's continued interest....

My new sun glasses holder has broken in exactly the same manner as the original. I've offered a theory to the dealer that it might be the panel in to which the glasses holder slots that is faulty rather than the glasses holder itself. The right hand hinge is clearly being stressed in operation.  

And yesterday, on a return trip from Plymouth when the car behaved impeccably and returned 38mpg at a steady 70, the slide out drink holder in the rear picnic table decided it had held its last drink and promptly fell apart. 

My love hate relationship with this car continues....

Not really. It's my daily driver so more often than not it's just me in the driver's seat. My wife drives it occasionally. My kids don't treat it as a soft play area. I'm considerate with all my vehicles. In all my years of driving i can honestly say I've never experienced this issue before. But it remains a great car. Just a shame the interior isn't standing up to everyday use. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Good day to you all. I thought I'd share an update on my ownership of this brilliantly tarnished Kodiaq.

Let me say up front I do really really feel fondness for Keri the Kodiaq. She's a great daily with an impressive list of attributes. She flew through her first MoT on Monday with only an advisory on front brake pads at 80% wear. I'll do those thank you very much Mr Skoda main dealer ha! My glasses holder has received another replacement. I think that's 4 now. But whilst the car was in for attention I highlighted a loose drivers interior handle. An investigation revealed a fracture to the plastic fitting through which the upper retaining bolt locates.  And not covered under warranty as its wear and tear. That'll be £341 + vat please I was invited to pay. 

I'd read a few reports of dodgy door handles on various forums...breaking, squeaking, loose etc etc. So undertook some research. Seems that a number of panels have been replaced owing to poor build quality. Some folk having all 4 replaced under warranty. 

I contacted Skoda UK who acknowledged the issue and asked me to take the car to a different dealer for review. I'm happy to do that, but I have given my supplying dealer an opportunity to reconsider its position. 

I'll update this thread but would love to hear of anyone else suffering the same fate.  I've added a picture, the plastic is 15mm thick and a weak spot if ever I've seen one. 

20200708_185506.jpg

• Like 1

Following with interest, my front door handles whilst not loose creak horribly when pulled or pushed to open or close the door.

Seems it doesn't affect all Kodiaq's though so perhaps the design was improved at some point.

Your photo illustrates perfectly Skoda's schoolboy error, the handle is formed by two clam shells, it's hard brittle plastic. If I was tasked with providing a solution for making something to move, flex and therefore squeak as much as possible then I'd imagine I'd end up with an identical design.

• Like 1

Haha... yes, brilliant design indeed.  I'd like to see VW or Audi's handle design to compare and contrast. And of course the plastic is 1.5mm not 15mm...

Surely there's a way to replace the handle rather than the entire panel?  Or would that actually give rise to quality concerns?  Maybe the handle being part of the panel reaffirms a belief within Skoda that the door handle is fail proof.  

What the OP has experienced is awful, but how in a million years can it be described as wear and tear?  In no way am I suggesting it is, but I could see the dealer or Skoda suggesting it's operator error i.e.  that the driver(s) may be heavy handed. But a friggn window switch should be designed to last a certain length of time - at least 6 years, so how can it be wear and tear?  That's a fob off excuse if I ever heard one.

If you get no joy having this replaced under warranty, I'd be tempted to go down the legal route where I think the supplying dealer would repair / replace the parts soon after the threat was made.

Edit just thinking - those window switches, how come the rear window switch broke due to wear and tear but the drivers window switch didn't?  In 3 years of driving I must have lowered the rear window less than 3 times from the drivers panel where as I use my own window on a regular basis.   Wear and tear my ar5e.

Edited by Guest