Recommissioning an Estelle...

xsquareduk

Hi all! 

I'm new to the forums and to Skodas - I have acquired an Estelle 120L Five Speed which has been off the road for around 7 years, but only has 16k on the clock and overall is in good condition. 

I want to get it back up and running but I want to make sure I do it right with the length of time it's not been run. I haven't tried to start it or anything, and of course the brakes need rebuilding before use as they were welded on!

Does anyone have any advice for what I need to check/do before I try starting it up? I'm not a complete beginner but I've also never tried to bring a car back to life before so don't worry about stating the obvious! :)

Cheers, looking forward to Skoda ownership! :)

Take the plugs out and try and turn the engine with a spanner on the bottom pulley. Hopefully it is not seized. Squirting some diesel into the cylinders may help free it off. Check the points are not corroded and set correctly, new plugs and condensor would be a good idea. Do the waterpump and alternator/dynamo spin? New petrol.

Edited by peter3197

Thanks - is it an easy job to drain the fuel tank or does my future include a siphon pipe and petrol breath...? Been there before...! :)

52 minutes ago, peter3197 said:

Do the waterpump and alternator/dynamo spin? 

Not sure yet - will check - thanks!

On 13/08/2019 at 13:29, xsquareduk said:

is it an easy job to drain the fuel tank or does my future include a siphon pipe and petrol breath...?

Why would it? The usual way to drain a petrol tank is to have at least its capacity of cans to drain it into, and disconnect the gravity hose, or open the drain **** if there is one.

As to the waterpump and alternator, they're driven by the v-belt on the crank pulley, so check them when you're trying to spin the engine.

• 4 weeks later...

i will advise you have very well ventilated area to drain the tank or at minimum have someone experienced with you, spark and flame dangers are pretty obvious but the fuel fumes even caught me out once while draining a tank at home.

something i found on the s types is the carb plunger can stick if left un used for several years, not sure if the estelles will but they have same type of carbs

Edited by wambobby

• 1 month later...

Xsquareduk, did you manage any progress?

I'm in a similar situation with my engine that has been sitting almost 20 years, I'm told.

Not sure how to try to start it to see what I'm working with or whether I should just take it out and clean it, replace the seals and put it back in etc.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Big clue here; an engine this age needs all fluids draining and replacing at minimum, and that assumes its not seized.

Thank you.

The good news is that the engine is turning freely. Bad news is that one if the bearing caps is off.

I managed to take the engine out and put onto a stand! So, the teardown will be done over the winter months. 

Hopefully, a crankshaft regrind will renew it to usable state.