Coolant Issues

Jb7lr

Anyone shed some light on this coolant issue! Been having issues with coolant light coming on all the time. Expansion tank, rad and pipe has been changed. No signs of any leaks from anywhere. I will top it up to max line and it can last for ages before it comes on again. 

It’s just come on again now so I nipped to Euros to get some anti freeze, turned engine off while in there and back on again without filling it up, drove 5-10 mins back home without it coming back on at all. Checked the tank, was just above minimum line, as I unscrewed the top to fill it after all the pressure had gone it shot back up to the maximum line again. Anyone know why it’s doing my nut in 😂

27 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Sounds like head lift coupled with our old friend denial.

Go drive it like you stole it then park it up overnight, if there's pressure in the cooling system in the morning when it's cold then you have HGF.

For work I’m constantly stop starting and short journeys, every now and again I give it some pasty. I’ll give it a blast tonight and check first thing tomorrow 

51 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@Jb7lr They're only golden, not crystal! ;)

However, you don't mention making any checks for head gasket failure beyond starting to throw money at it.

What’s best way to check head gasket failure, been told to unscrew the oil cap and if the oil looks creamy it’s ****ed? IS that right? Haha

On 21/08/2019 at 19:00, Jb7lr said:

What’s best way to check head gasket failure, been told to unscrew the oil cap and if the oil looks creamy it’s ****ed? IS that right? Haha

Well, that's one way; another is to wait until the engine boils.

A better one is to buy a coolant analysis kit, maybe £20 from a good accessory shop, or Halfrauds.

21 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Well, that's one way; another is to wait until the engine boils.

A better one is to buy a coolant analysis kit, maybe £20 from a good accessory shop, or Halfrauds.

If i check the coolant tank in the morning and there’s pressure in it is the head gasket more than likely ****ed? 

Car is going into the garage in a few week anyway so I’ll get them to have a look anyway see what they find 

On 21/08/2019 at 21:54, Jb7lr said:

If i check the coolant tank in the morning and there’s pressure in it is the head gasket more than likely ****ed? 

Car is going into the garage in a few week anyway so I’ll get them to have a look anyway see what they find 

I'm afraid so yes.

14 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

I'm afraid so yes.

Oh Dear haha, I knew it wouldn’t be long until something went wrong with it 🤦‍♂️ I don’t have much luck with cars haha

Hi mate I'm having the same issue with coolant loss 

I replaced the water pump with the one with metal impellers, new rad and new thermostat at around 122k miles now at about 158k

I stripped the whole undertray no visible leaks from anywhere not from rad, heater matrix, bulk head or anywhere, couple of times when it hits motorway journeys it Drinks coolant to well below min, locally it doesnt hardly use any. On boost it hardly seems to eat coolant at all 

Possibly head lift? 

I ordered a chemical leak tester let you kno how I get on as this phantom issue has peaked my interest... Let you kno how I get on. 

But at this milage and me travelling to London daily and the introduction of Ulez soon to emcapass the whole M25, I'll stick to top ups rather than a head build if required! 

Well I’m booked in to the garage next Monday to get it looked at so hopefully I’ve just got a leak because if it’s anything expensive I’m just not going to bother fixing, I’ll just top it up when needed. It’s strange because sometimes the car can go 4 weeks+ within it losing any coolant at all and something it can only go a day or 2, proper mind **** haha

43 minutes ago, Jay29 said:

I only notice mine when the car is being driven hard like on morotoways or the car is in high boost, like you I have virtually no loss around town 

I’ve just done a 4 hour motorway journey and not lost any, when I release the lid on the tank on cold there’s the slightest bit of pressure in the system, when warm there’s loads of pressure but once opened and pressure is released the fluid level goes straight back to maximum 

Which means your cooling system is being pressurised by combustion gases, you are at the earliest stages of HGF and might get away with replacing all the head bolts one at a time with PD150 bolts to seal it up.

29 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Which means your cooling system is being pressurised by combustion gases, you are at the earliest stages of HGF and might get away with replacing all the head bolts one at a time with PD150 bolts to seal it up.

Find out next week the exact cause so hopefully it’s not an expensive fix, what sort of cost would I be looking at if I did just upgrade to PD150 HB?

11 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

I dunno, I'd do it myself because it's easy work and all you need is a set of bolts which are not expensive.

I’m having my car looked at Monday anyway as it’s got a knock from front end so if head bolts do need doing I’ll just get him to do it there and then and save myself some time, I have noticed some fluid under neath the expansion tank the last few days so hoping it’s just got a small leak 

Yea mine Is same next morning some pressure in the expansion tank. I actually got a set of pd150 bolts sure I seen a guide around here on how to, but if gasket is knackered don't see what bolts will do then again I understand it's worth a try I guess

1 minute ago, Jay29 said:

Yea mine Is same next morning some pressure in the expansion tank. I actually got a set of pd150 bolts sure I seen a guide around here on how to, but if gasket is knackered don't see what bolts will do then again I understand it's worth a try I guess

Your HG has already failed so bolts alone won't cure it.

Just as I suspected I'm gonna try the chemical test tube test to see if the liquid turns from. Blue to brown 

In any case at this stage if it's blown I will most likely drive until it can't go no more

Maybe get it on the track for one last ride 

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

It's not a leak, it's coolant being blown out of the cap and dribbling down the tank to pool under it.

Did I mention denial? You have a persistent form and may need counselling.

What are you, a ****ing therapist? 😂😂

1 hour ago, Jay29 said:

Just as I suspected I'm gonna try the chemical test tube test to see if the liquid turns from. Blue to brown 

In any case at this stage if it's blown I will most likely drive until it can't go no more

Maybe get it on the track for one last ride 

I’ll just let mine blow up, I ain’t getting head gasket changed no way, ain’t worth it 😂

12 minutes ago, Jb7lr said:

What are you, a ****ing therapist? 😂😂

No, hence the advice, but if I had a fiver for every time I've told a poster about their HG failure and they keep babbling on about a small leak then I could skip work next week. That's denial.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

No, hence the advice, but if I had a fiver for every time I've told a poster about their HG failure and they keep babbling on about a small leak then I could skip work next week. That's denial.

Haha fair enough, I’ll let you off. I’ll come back in a week and let you know lol

57 minutes ago, Jb7lr said:

Haha fair enough, I’ll let you off. I’ll come back in a week and let you know lol

You'll be alright just swapping out the bolts, the other dude who keeps jumping into this thread has it much worse.

• Like 1