272 V 280 mpg

I guess a few of these have been running enough to get a reasonable view in if the 7th gear is helping fuel consumption on a motorway run. 

Im running a 280 hatch but may be looking at swapping to an estate soon (dog) so would be interested if anyone has seen much difference? 

Cheers 

Looking at a 280 4x4 DSG hatch at moment, what sort of MPG have you been getting out of interest on the other side? Am I correct in thinking that the 272 has a GPF where as the 280's don't? 

I drove down from Derby to Spalding yesterday in holiday mode, mostly A roads a little bit of A1 at NSL . Boot fully loaded  and wife and 2 kids in tow. I managed this, but was driving for it.   Longer term I get 36mpg. 

I know where there might be a nice black 280 L&K coming up for sale soon 😂

AEBC8E8F-00B8-44B4-9E00-74AC109B1D46.jpeg

Why worry about the exact mpg when you are paying £30k+ for a car.

Your Depreciation / rental  + servicing etc will be £100+ per week.

Your fuel costs can vary more than the mpg difference by choosing a slightly more expensive petrol station.  If using petrol freaks you out then don’t buy either a 272 or 280

• Like 1

The 7th gear most definitely helps with consumption, especially on any relaxed driving outside town. I only say this because I was driving the 280's engine + DSG6 combo for 2.5 years in a 180kg lighter VW Golf. I had posted some months back about how it felt that the 272 Superb was somehow more economical than the lighter Golf with the same engines and now I have some hard data to compare:

Figures over 4000kms (my driving is 80% short commutes with lots of start/stop) 
280+DSG6: 10.5lt.100km (27mpg)   
272+DSG7: 9.8lt/100km (29mpg)

Now if you take into account the Superb is considerably heavier than the GTI, their true difference should be closer to 3-4mpg more with the 272+DSG7 combo.

Also, on a 220km @ 120km/h (70mph) trip through Denmark I saw 40mpg, which then dropped to 33mpg after another 400km at the Autobahn where I confirmed the manufacturer's claimed top speed a couple of times :speechless:  and kept an average speed of 90-100mph. Very impressive for such a car imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Yes the 7th gear in the 272 does make a difference. Unfortunately this is totally offset by the 280’s exhaust valves which as well as making the 280 much, much faster also help the aerodynamics of the car when open adding at least 4mpg over even the best 272 effort ....

You lost me there.

How does engine exhaust valve operation have any affect on vehicle aerodynamics (aerodynamic drag) at all?

Are you saying that the GPF acts as a restrictor in the exhaust at high revs causing reducing engine efficiency? Is that personal experience or published data?

And another general question; what is the effective gearing difference between top gears on respective 6 speed and 7 speed DSG boxes?

Edited by Gerrycan

43 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

The exhaust flaps work in unison with the automatic brake cooling ducts. Under extreme acceleration or ' Supercruise' mode the cooling ducts open up and allow a flow of air from the front of the car to the back. This causes a low pressure region to form behind the car that pushes the car along increasing fuel consumption and improving performance.

p.s. This is all from personal experience I cannot find any published data.

I think you might have got the low pressure wrong, if you have a vacuum behind the car, will try and pull the car backwards, slowing it down, not pushing it along

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

I think you might have got the low pressure wrong, if you have a vacuum behind the car, will try and pull the car backwards, slowing it down, not pushing it along

Not in my Universe :D

Guys, Nick is right. After all, the 280 features a turbo encabulator that provides inverse reactive current that is known to massively benefit mpg 

It's explained in this video very clearly:

• Haha 2

On 27/08/2019 at 02:59, Gerrycan said:

And another general question; what is the effective gearing difference between top gears on respective 6 speed and 7 speed DSG boxes?

DSG6 - 6th gear: 0.81
DSG7 - 7th gear: 0.66