emergency, how to work the jack?

Hi all

Emergency here, currently got a burst tire in rural germany with 2 hungry kids.  

The jack is not like anything ive ever seen before and I cant get it to work.im used to the usual scissor type jacks.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks guys.

I could see how its meant to work, but couldnt make it do anything. Embarrassing. It might be faulty, but then im looking for any excuse lol.

Fortunately a young german couple stopped to help and saved us. They didnt have a jack, but went away and came back with a trolley jack!

Will definately swot up on the jack now.

We had driven to a restaurant but it was full, and we were looking for something else when disaster struck. What a night.

Thanks again chaps!

Edited by GabrielSyme

Many moons ago I had a similar jack issue.

If it's been closed right to the end of the rotating screw bit, then they kind of stick hard. A spray of wd40 and some fiddling in the warmth and comfort of your home should maybe loosen it up.