A bit of a quandary

Bobwilson63

Hello good Skoda folks, hope you can help with a question I have. I’ve had a Skoda Octavia estate 1.0 TSI SE on order since April. I know it’s a long time isn’t it. Anyway it’s got a confirmed build week of 30th Sept. so not long now. Anyway got a call from my dealer today offering me a 1.5 TSI Se for the same price and could have it sooner. Just wondered what your views were. I’ve read all sorts of horror stories about the 1.5 engine “ Kangarooing “. Is that problem sorted yet?  Any views gratefully appreciated. Thanks 

You have a dilemma! The expression ‘if something seems too good to be true it probably is...’ springs to mind.

I am biased in that I am a fan of the 1.0 L engine, and know nothing of the 1.5L, except for the numerous postings on here about it’s problems. As yours is nearly ready I myself would tend to be cautious.

• Thanks 1

If you look in the Karoq forum you will see many postings about the 1.5 and it’s software problems, and cases where cars have been rejected by purchasers. It may just be that because of the bad publicity re. The 1.5 the dealer has a problem selling it, who knows.

What I do know is the 1.0L is a brilliant engine, very pleased with ours, and never heard of any problems with it.

Edited by bohmer
  • Thanks 1

I would be tempted to go and find a secondhand 1.5 model to test drive somewhere and see what you think. We had that engine, admittedly in an Audi A3,  and had no problems with it. The Octavia is a big car to be pulled along by a 1.0 engine, but obviously it depends what you are looking for in life....!

The nature of forums is that everyone with a fault writes about it, but those who are satisfied tend not to bother....!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phil245 said:

I would be tempted to go and find a secondhand 1.5 model to test drive somewhere and see what you think. We had that engine, admittedly in an Audi A3,  and had no problems with it. The Octavia is a big car to be pulled along by a 1.0 engine, but obviously it depends what you are looking for in life....!

The nature of forums is that everyone with a fault writes about it, but those who are satisfied tend not to bother....!

When I first started looking at the Octavia, I thought it would be massively underpowered with the 1.0. But after a test drive I had changed my mind. I also looked at lots of articles and reviews which were all positive in the whole. I think after researching it a bit more I’m going to stick with my original order. Especially after waiting all this time. Can you believe it will be nearly 8 months from order to delivery for a bog standard no extras car. 

A build week of 30th sept should make it to the UK on time pre-brexit, they'll never guarantee you it'll make here on time of course, but you would be terribly unlucky for it not to. If your heart is set on the 1.0tsi and you've waited this long for it, I would stick it out and wait until it comes. Is the 1.5tsi a Manuel or an Otto that the dealer is offering you? The "kangarooing" was less of an issue/noticeable in the dsg versions from what I hear. 

Edited by Gmac983

The issue was still in some DSG's and not less to those that had it, or what was worse those having loss of drive. 

It made no difference to them that others had no problems.

New cars should not be arriving in the UK now with a Fundamental Fault in the Engiine Management or the DSG management.

If a car is in stock or in transit to the UK it should be fault free or Skoda UK should not be importing it and a Dealership should not be offering it for sale.

Well everybody, the end of the saga has arrived. As you will know from the start of this topic, I’ve been waiting since April for my Skoda Octavia estate 1.0 tsi SE  in quartz grey. Well this week I was given a couple, we’ll three options if you count waiting for my original car. Anyway I was offered a 1.5 model that same spec as mine, but after research and much deliberation I decided against it. Kangarooing and all that. However I was then offered a 1.0TSI Drive ( better spec) Aumundson sat nav, fitted carpet mats, bigger wheels,  with three factory extras auto dimming mirror, cornering fog lamps! ( I know me too) and heated front seats for the same price. My only problem was that it wasn’t my preferred colour. It was Silver. However I’ve bitten the bullet and gone for it. I’m really happy with it and it’s parked outside my house as we speak. Thanks for all your replies and help. 

• Like 3