SatNav

Gonzini

Hi All

Still getting to know my way around the new 2019 Fabia.

With the satnav is there away to get it to warn you if you exceed the speed limit on the current road?

I have a Garmin and that unit will warn you if you exceed the limit which i find really useful.

I can't see any setting that might enable audible or visual warnings. It does display the speed limit but it seems to be a general guide.

I say that as I've seen 50 & 60 speed limits displayed at the same time so not very useful to be honest!

I was thinking on a similar line only last week.  It would be so useful to have the vehicles actual speed showing on the satnav display as well as the road limit.  This is obviously much safer than looking at the satnav display and then looking across at the vehicles speedometer.   On my old Garmin the cars actual speed displayed changes colour to warn that the speed limit is exceeded.   I have looked through the settings that can be changed and am pretty sure that it isn't possible.  We can only live in hopes that the right people at Skoda check these blogs and may include it in future software updates.

I use waze via android auto, it has both the features described here along with things like crazy accurate reports of vehicles in laybys/hard shoulders etc. I've been rather impressed. Beats any in car sat nav i've used, phone app or stand alone unit... but I know it's not perfect/available for everyone but still thought i'd mention in case you haven't tried.

Cheers guys, life got in the way last few weeks...

Seems like its would have to be a software update to enable this. I don't know why you wouldn't implement this function seeing as the car has all the other information / safety features.

Guess with the speed display, it will display the current speed in digit format just not linked to what the satnav thinks your doing. (i guess that's right...)

I think I'm going to set the Garmin up one day just to check how accurate the speedo is. That will warn me if i exceed the limit as well but i don't want to have to keep setting up that just for that function.

Its more for longer journeys were i don't know the roads very well.

Not looked into the Android Auto stuff yet, guess you need network data connection for that to work.

11 hours ago, Gonzini said:

Not looked into the Android Auto stuff yet, guess you need network data connection for that to work.

If you download maps via wifi at home you don't need a data connection with Android Auto/Google Maps.

Even works for me when I am driving a hire car in another country with my mobile phone.

The trouble with satnavs showing the speed limit is, who is to blame when the limit changes?

This might even be a temporary limit change.

The satnav also might not know the vehicle you are driving and the speed limits that apply to that vehicle.

The car speedo will show a faster speed than you are actually going.

A satnav will show you the speed you were doing, not are doing.

Thanks AG Falco

11 hours ago, AGFalco said:

If you download maps via wifi at home you don't need a data connection with Android Auto/Google Maps.

Even works for me when I am driving a hire car in another country with my mobile phone.

The trouble with satnavs showing the speed limit is, who is to blame when the limit changes?

This might even be a temporary limit change.

The satnav also might not know the vehicle you are driving and the speed limits that apply to that vehicle.

The car speedo will show a faster speed than you are actually going.

A satnav will show you the speed you were doing, not are doing.

Thanks AG Falco

So its using the GPS on the phone then?  I'm a bit old school don't have a modern up to date mobile! Managed to get the old Samsung to bluetooth to the car though so the hands free works.

The speed warning i just find helps on long journeys, just as a reminder. Like you say it doesn't help on these stupid smart motorways though with variable limits for example.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Gonzini said:

So its using the GPS on the phone then?  I'm a bit old school don't have a modern up to date mobile! Managed to get the old Samsung to bluetooth to the car though so the hands free works.

The speed warning i just find helps on long journeys, just as a reminder. Like you say it doesn't help on these stupid smart motorways though with variable limits for example.

Cheers

Yeah, phones these days have everything an old skool standalone gps unit would have... so it uses the GPS on the phone, often backed up by your cell signal. As mentioned above, you can tell google maps to download an area including the entire UK if you want before a long trip. Has the benefit of the data connection to at least fetch up to date traffic information. Google maps doesn't show you the current speed iirc. I'd recommend waze still over google maps, has everything google maps has and more.

30 minutes ago, Confused_Cheese said:

Yeah, phones these days have everything an old skool standalone gps unit would have... so it uses the GPS on the phone, often backed up by your cell signal. As mentioned above, you can tell google maps to download an area including the entire UK if you want before a long trip. Has the benefit of the data connection to at least fetch up to date traffic information. Google maps doesn't show you the current speed iirc. I'd recommend waze still over google maps, has everything google maps has and more.

Might have a look one day, if the phone gets updated!

Would be nice if the supplied and paid for Satnav had a few more function then i guess. I have found the Skoda update site, at least get free map updates i guess. (I think...)

11 hours ago, Gonzini said:

So its using the GPS on the phone then?  I'm a bit old school don't have a modern up to date mobile!

My first mobile with GPS was from October 2011, how old is yours?

Thanks AG Falco

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure, i think Its an ACE3 GT-7275 Its probably got GPS in there. It does support 4G....

I really should buy a more modern phone, its completely useless trying to use data on it.....

Its a Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 GT-S7275R. I guess very like that one in the link. Mine will do 4G though.

It does have GPS. Just a waste of time trying to use any apps on it, it works as a phone though and it does connect to the bluetooth hands free in the car...

8 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Yes the spec and version of your Android phone is not good for Android Auto/Satnav.

Thanks AG Falco

Yep, it's not up to it. I'd probably get the hump with it and launch it somewhere.... Works good as a phone though!

I only found out a couple of years ago, there are two types of GPS.

The very accurate (U.S.) one and a cheaper less accurate Russian one,

which a lot of mobiles use.

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

Not heard of that one, some stuff about it here.

https://www.liveviewgps.com/blog/russias-glonass-usas-gps-compare/

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

Its actually GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite Systems, GPS being the US led system iirc) and there are more than two now operational, such as Galileo which is a European led system. Is a list of phones capable of using it here: https://www.usegalileo.eu/EN/inner.html#data=smartphone

No idea which ones best, other than GLONASS (the Russian one) being less accurate as stated 🤓

11 hours ago, gumdrop said:

two types of GPS.

My phone has four:-

A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO & BDS

Not uncommon these days.

Thanks AG Falco