Window opening on its own.

rosegrrl

I have a 2014 Yeti.

This has happened once before and now again this morning, in the pouring rain.

The front drivers' window is opening on its own. Last night when I tried to raise the window, it would go up and down and up and down repeatedly without stopping at the top as usual until I finally stopped it as close to the top as I could. I locked the car. This morning the same window is open again about 15 cm. Ran out in the rain and was unable to keep it all the way closed using the door switch, so I closed it as much as possible and came back inside.. only to watch the window opening and closing repeatedly on its own until it rested open in the same place.

Does anyone know what's causing this? And hopefully how to fix it. And no, the keys weren't resting against anything or pressing against anything - they were sitting on their own on a tabletop inside. 

It could be a broken wire or three in the door wiring loom.  It's a common fault where the wires flex, fatigue and eventually start breaking where they pass through from the body of the car, into the door.  I had my drivers loom replaced last year, and the symptoms were that the car wouldnt lock, and that the windows had a mind of their own...

Hi, this is a common issue, wipe The top of the window the close with the switch until it closes full then pull the switch back up and hold for approx 10 seconds now the system is reset.   

The reason this happens is the safety system kicks in so not to trap an arm ina closing window but it seems to be over sensitive and reacts to the rain ️ 

good luck

• Like 1

This has been reported across VAG brands for years.  It happened to my Audi A1.  Always when it’s raining too.  I’ve never seen a convincing explanation for it (if it was an over-sensitive safety system this is essentially like handing the keys to anybody who wants to get in to it).

If this phenomenon only occurs with cars with rain sensors, it could be that when a window has lost it's one-shot auto close setting, the car no longer 'knows' if that window is closed, so when the car is locked and it starts raining, the auto raining window close feature kicks in and tries to close that window - failing miserably in the process?  Is there an auto rain close disable setting in the maxidot?

Hi Rosegrrl

Believe it or not, the car is doing what it is supposed to do. It's actually alerting you to the fact that the windows control module has lost its "Force Limiter Setting" Just as a previous poster (S76) was telling you.

The Force limiter is a safety setting to prevent injury should anyone have any part of their body between the window and the door frame whilst it is being closed. To reset it is very simple (and covered in the owners handbook) But for ease, here are the instructions for you:

NOTE: Each window must be reset individually:

1 Turn on the ignition

2 Using the appropriate switch fully open (send down) the window and release the switch

3 Now fully close the window (send up)

4 Release the switch

5 Pull on the switch again as if to close it and hold for a second or two

This action causes the window control module to relearn the force for the force limiter function. A vital safety function which the car is telling you, by sending the windows down, has lost its setting. The setting can be lost when the battery has been disconnected and if the battery voltage is low for any reason. Even cranking the vehicle over when the battery is on the low side can cause some features to shut down.

Its an old Briskoda cherry that has been doing the rounds for a few years now and literally has had dozens of threads on it in this and other sections over the years. It's not uncommon for people to find that they (including dealerships) miss the fact that the switch MUST be released between the operations in performing this reset procedure.

Anyway, I hope this helps and solves the problem for you................Tony

Really?  A car being left locked is opening a window, when it’s raining, as a warning?  Sorry, that doesn’t sound right to me.  There may well be a link between the the loss of single-touch programming and unintended window opening, but I can’t think this would be a deliberately programmed feature.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, weasley said:

Really?  A car being left locked is opening a window, when it’s raining, as a warning?  Sorry, that doesn’t sound right to me.  There may well be a link between the the loss of single-touch programming and unintended window opening, but I can’t think this would be a deliberately programmed feature.

It is out of sync. It probably thinks the window is open, senses the rain on the wiper sensor and tries to close the window. This either opens it, or it thinks it has caught an arm or something whilst closing and opens more fully, which is an essentuial safety feature.

I have had this issue a couple of times. A simple reset sorts it out.

I can see a case where certain factors combine to initiate an unexpected and unforeseen response, but never would this be described as "the car is doing what it is supposed to do".

Even if what you say is correct (and, with respect, it does look like you are guessing rather than knowing), the outcome of a open window on a wet day for a locked and alarmed car is definitely not a selling feature.

On 01/10/2019 at 12:30, muddyjim said:

If this phenomenon only occurs with cars with rain sensors, it could be that when a window has lost it's one-shot auto close setting, the car no longer 'knows' if that window is closed, so when the car is locked and it starts raining, the auto raining window close feature kicks in and tries to close that window - failing miserably in the process?  Is there an auto rain close disable setting in the maxidot?

Well I looked it up, and indeed you can turn off the rain closing feature. It seems that an 'unset' window may open even if it's not raining after 12hrs too?

rain.jpg

Well, I dried the window, held the button up for a few seconds and it seems to have solved the problem. In future I will make sure the window is dry if I open it when it's raining. And I agree totally that having a window open on its own is no selling point. Particularly when it does it, as mine did, in the middle of the night, in a car park in a dodgy part of town. In the pouring rain.

I have a 2015 Yeti and had not dissimilar problems about three years ago. Despite switching off the rain sensor and re-setting the windows on two separate occasions (once by the dealer), the windows continued to open spasmodically and at random. As others have pointed out this is somewhat disconcerting when the car is parked in a public area. In the end the dealer found that Skoda had issued a software fix - and indeed it did fix the problem. Never had a repeat performance (and I have the rain sensor switched back on.)

Hello Rosegrrl,

if  you have auto fold door mirrors, always use this when locking your car i.e. long press on the key fob, if the mirrors fold in you are good, it they don,t then you need to reset a window. Hope this helps

• 1 month later...
On 01/10/2019 at 17:22, Great Yeti said:

Hi Rosegrrl

Believe it or not, the car is doing what it is supposed to do. It's actually alerting you to the fact that the windows control module has lost its "Force Limiter Setting" Just as a previous poster (S76) was telling you.

The Force limiter is a safety setting to prevent injury should anyone have any part of their body between the window and the door frame whilst it is being closed. To reset it is very simple (and covered in the owners handbook) But for ease, here are the instructions for you:

NOTE: Each window must be reset individually:

1 Turn on the ignition

2 Using the appropriate switch fully open (send down) the window and release the switch

3 Now fully close the window (send up)

4 Release the switch

5 Pull on the switch again as if to close it and hold for a second or two

This action causes the window control module to relearn the force for the force limiter function. A vital safety function which the car is telling you, by sending the windows down, has lost its setting. The setting can be lost when the battery has been disconnected and if the battery voltage is low for any reason. Even cranking the vehicle over when the battery is on the low side can cause some features to shut down.

Its an old Briskoda cherry that has been doing the rounds for a few years now and literally has had dozens of threads on it in this and other sections over the years. It's not uncommon for people to find that they (including dealerships) miss the fact that the switch MUST be released between the operations in performing this reset procedure.

Anyway, I hope this helps and solves the problem for you................Tony

Think thats what I needed. Opened window in freezing temperatures and then it wouldn't close. Keep re-opening as though fingers were trapped in it.

• Thanks 1