Central Locking / Kessy Question - Is this normal?

RichardPB

Is the following normal operation?

1. Sitting in the car with all door closed.

2. Press the lock button on the central console so that it locks the doors and is lit orange.

3. Open the drivers door using the internal handle.

4. If I then go to open either rear door using the outside handle neither door will open.

5. The only way that I can open the rear doors is either using the internal handles or by opening the passenger door from the outside.

6. Is this normal operation as I thought once you opened the drivers door from the inside, all other doors were unlocked. I have the central locking set to open all doors on unlocking the car.

Thanks.

I think you have to press the central console button again to open all the doors...........similar thing happens to me when I pull up to collect a passenger, despite me pressing the 'unlock' button they can't can't open any door or the boot without me pressing the button again?

Edited by Berisford

I think there will be a default setting to change somewhere that will allow all doors to open on one press of the button (centre console or on the key fob). As I believe the factory setting will only open the drivers door on the first press, followed by a 2nd press to open the other doors together (it's an anti-carjacking security measure). Really your dealer should have pointed that one out to you, whilst helping you with your preferred settings on delivery of your vehicle. 

5 hours ago, Berisford said:

I think you have to press the central console button again to open all the doors...........similar thing happens to me when I pull up to collect a passenger, despite me pressing the 'unlock' button they can't can't open any door or the boot without me pressing the button again?

Yes that happens on mine if you don't press the unlock button (light is unlit). But if you open the drivers door the lock light turns off and all doors should then be able to be opened from the outside. 

4 hours ago, Gmac983 said:

I think there will be a default setting to change somewhere that will allow all doors to open on one press of the button (centre console or on the key fob). As I believe the factory setting will only open the drivers door on the first press, followed by a 2nd press to open the other doors together (it's an anti-carjacking security measure). Really your dealer should have pointed that one out to you, whilst helping you with your preferred settings on delivery of your vehicle. 

The setting on mine is set to open all doors when the car is unlocked.

Hmmm. Sounds like you may have gremlins. 

One other straw to clutch at... When you drive away and the doors automatically lock (rather than you pressing the lock button), do you have the same issue once you've stopped and try the doors then? 

2 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

Hmmm. Sounds like you may have gremlins. 

One other straw to clutch at... When you drive away and the doors automatically lock (rather than you pressing the lock button), do you have the same issue once you've stopped and try the doors then? 

When the doors are locked automatically, I then stop, get out I can open all doors. The problem only happens if I lock the doors manually using the lock button which is very strange.

If someone could follow the steps in the first post and report what happens, that would be great. 

Mine does exactly as yours does (just checked). I hadn't noticed it before as have never been in a circumstance yet where I've needed to do what you described. I can only assume it is as I said, an anti-theft/carjacking measure. If you have felt the need to lock the vehicle via that button then I guess it makes sense for only the door you are exiting buy that unlocks. 

Edited by Gmac983

1 hour ago, Gmac983 said:

Mine does exactly as yours does (just checked). I hadn't noticed it before as have never been in a circumstance yet where I've needed to do what you described. I can only assume it is as I said, an anti-theft/carjacking measure. If you have felt the need to lock the vehicle via that button then I guess it makes sense for only the door you are exiting buy that unlocks. 

Thanks for checking. I think you're right regarding a carjacking measure.