Audi A3 s-line 2.0tfsi quattro

sharkrider

well, we got fed up with the volvo braking.... time to move on... welcome mummy phantom.... a little difficult buying ash a car thats arguably better than my octy, but there ya go! lol..... we were looking at at a mk2 octy vRS, but found these little A3s with the same engine, but with added 4wd!

IMG_4940.JPEG

its fully loaded being an s-line, 18's heated leather etc etc ....

IMG_4938.JPEG

• Like 2

something about the quattro badge...... (To be honest I only bought it because it came with its own free motorway lane! ;) )

71340486_2455989134631735_4909889682302566400_n.jpg

and mods? I don't know... some S3 injectors, a big turbo and a fmic should see over 300 bhp quite easily! 😮  pretend S3 indeed!

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Very nice Dave, " Does this trim level include indicators ? "

apparently!

23 minutes ago, niceyellow vrs said:

*awaits the sad "my new car is broken" posts on Facebook 🤣

I'm bound to get one good one eventually!

• Like 1

Been for a good drive in all conditions for a few hours today, this car drives really nice, steering could do with more feel, not as good as my octy (audi TT rack, polybushed) quite light, but direct, suspension is very good, best OE setup i've driven, firm and no roll, but still with some room for comfort.... don't think I'm going to be messing with that ... engine oil was close to minimum, so topped that up, will have to keep an eye on that... engine pulls like a train, very linear , unlike the octy that has a massive torque spike, smooth all the way round to 7k..... red line comes at 6.5k but I've revved it happily to 7k... not hit a limiter, the map may have included a raise in rev limit... the s/s exhaust sounds good , nice deep rumble without being too loud... climate control is cold :) clutch is light, and gearbox is lovely, very easy to engage gears very precise, nice feel. now.. traction! 😮 its SOOOO the opposite of my octy in the rain, boot the octy on a wet corner and let the boost spike hit, and it will try to kill you.... in this you can simply boot it mid corner and it just drives out! even with crap plastic tyres on... (Farroad FRD026..... never heard of them, but they cost about £30 each in 225/40/18 flavour!) I will be changing them for a decent set of all weather tyres next weekend.... never felt lost for grip though, did a fast take off out of a country road on wet leaves, and it simple went! no hint of wheel slip anywhere... quattro doing its stuff! everything appears to work, appart from the the two buttons on the steering wheel below "mode" and something that looks like parking sensors, unbelievably, when you press them they both light up the message "no function" on the dash!!! a button , who's function is to light up a "no function" message..... utter madness.... German humour maybe?! lol... fingers crossed this one keeps working.... sadly nicer to drive than the octy, and probably faster on all but a hot dry road....

IMG_4945.JPEG

• Like 1

the biggest problem this car has is rust .... look at the arches, they just get hit by crap all the time, bot sides are going like they do on the mk4 golf.... they either need treating now, or I need to find replacements! the sills have been battered too.. paint off and rust starting.... will have to address them asap too... not bad at all , not mentioned on the MOT (has 12 months) just need a pre-emptive treatment! wonder if I can get fiberglass wings like you can get for the mx5 ?!

IMG_4944.JPEG

maybe some rally style mudflaps....

• Like 1

Wheel arch rot appears to be an issue with VW's and Audi's of that era.

I know both manufacturers used to carry out repairs under the anti corrosion Guarantee, not sure if that's 10 / 12 years though.

I'd be looking at getting a new pair of wings I think. There were a few companies who manufactured wide arch plastic wings as you say but I don't think they were cheap.

• Like 1

given it a good caning today... amazing to be able to use full throttle in 1st, can't do that in the octy! and sadly it may actually be faster than the octy ! 😮 it really goes well... will have to get it on a rolling road and see just how much power its making....

• Thanks 1

Landsail four seasons on the Quattro! dual compound, harder outside, more solid blocks for summer, softer on the inside, more sipes for the snow ;) bring on the winter  :)  been good today in the pouring rain... been trying to loose traction, but failing to do so! lol..

IMG_4967.JPEG

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

been driving thecar more as Ash has been in hospital.... finally found the limit of grip when booting it in the middle of roundabouts ect .... its kinda odd, such a different 4wd system to the Alfa.... it starts to understeer, then shifts the power to the back and just digs in.... unfortunately , the traction control/ESP then kicks in and ruins the fun..... tried it again with the ESP off button operated..... MUCH better :) but still a very odd feeling, as the line is adjusted by the shift of power, rather than cornering forces.....   

Be careful!

I once found the limits on my 4x4 cossie and almost binned it!

The audi system 4x4 system is probably far more advanced but what I found was overseer quickly followed by understeer followed by no steering and a total lack of control!

The haldex no doubt corrects all that for you though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul thornton said:

Be careful!

I once found the limits on my 4x4 cossie and almost binned it!

The audi system 4x4 system is probably far more advanced but what I found was overseer quickly followed by understeer followed by no steering and a total lack of control!

The haldex no doubt corrects all that for you though.

yeah Haldex can only send 50% to the rear , so I doubt I will get the tail out... just controlled grip! if the back does slip, it will direct power back to the front....

I prefered the Alfa system though 72 % RWD as normal, and when the tail started to slide up to 72% to the front through a torsion diff...

Audi system is safer, but less fun lol...

• 5 months later...

right.... bloody wheel bearing issue caused the need for a whole new hub, as all bolts "welded" together with rust... well, rebuilt the whole hub, took weeks to get parts etc ... and now on the way home th ebloody power steering failed 😞

I'm begining to hate this car ...

IMG_5930.JPEG

IMG_5931.JPEG

On 12/07/2020 at 09:20, Paul thornton said:

Electric power steering on that I'm guessing?

Last time I looked electric power steering spares seemed to be reasonably priced, compared with hydraulic anyway.

What's failed with it?

21 hours ago, Wildmoose said:

Hope it's not your steering rack. Turns out mine needed refurbishing. Not sure servotronic helped. Costly & time consuming anyway.

Yeah its the "series one" electric power steering, all one unit including control ecu.... apparently they do fail, there has been two updates! 😮 £129 for a reconditioned rack, electrics all included ect , so not too bad... but hopefully mech can fix it cheaper, back with him now...

amber light came on first, steering still working, then red light, and power failed completley.... hopefully its something bloody easy like poor battery voltage after being left for months or something ...

Edited by sharkrider

• 2 months later...