New Driver - 2010 1.2 htp 6v - how best to treat engine?

I'm a relatively new driver and have been gifted a 2010 Fabia MkII HTP by an elderly relative. It's the first car I've actually owned in my name and I'm just looking for hints on how to take care of her! It's been regularly serviced and has just over 6000 miles on the clock so the engine has actually probably still to break in! Proper "one lady driver from new". Most of my driving is short hops, town centre but some national speed limit and occasional motorways etc. Looking for hints on where best to keep revs etc for mpg and engine health and things to watch and listen out for... Think it's pre-facelift as it has the Dance radio system. Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, edhombre said:

I'm a relatively new driver and have been gifted a 2010 Fabia MkII HTP by an elderly relative. It's the first car I've actually owned in my name and I'm just looking for hints on how to take care of her! It's been regularly serviced and has just over 6000 miles on the clock so the engine has actually probably still to break in! Proper "one lady driver from new". Most of my driving is short hops, town centre but some national speed limit and occasional motorways etc. Looking for hints on where best to keep revs etc for mpg and engine health and things to watch and listen out for... Think it's pre-facelift as it has the Dance radio system. Thanks in advance!

Congrats! That's a very low mileage example you've got, well done. 

Since its  (almost) 10 years old, I'd highly recommend taking a look at the cambelt, as I believe the replacement period is meant to be around 5 years. 

Other than that, have a look at how old the tyres are, check for dry rotting etc. 

Do a full service, as most of those filters have probably been in there for the life of the car - Oil, fuel, air and cabin filter. 

Use a good quality oil (obviously) and have a look at your other fluids etc., as it would desperately need a brake fluid and tranny flush after so long. 

After all that you should have a great wee runabout.

Enjoy, and welcome to the forums!

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

Good luck finding a cambelt on that engine...

Regular oil changes with good quality oil, minimum annually even if your mileage is low, preferably more frequent if you do lots of short journeys.

If it's like the 54bhp predecessor there's no further power above 4k rpm so don't thrash it on the motorway, you'll get nowhere any faster. Try to cruise at around 3000rpm for best economy, unless that's an awkward speed for the traffic conditions you're in.

Apologies, forgot that the HTP had a chain!

@edhombre

Welcome.

Nice car to get.

What does the service record show for the 6,000 miles and was it at a Skoda Dealership or an independent?

Did they change the oil and filter 8 times in 6,000 miles.

Has the Brake Fluid been changed once or twice in that time / miles?   I would be getting it done if not showing as recently done.

So air Filter needs checked and changed if not done.

Pollen filter maybe changed.

Hopefully the last MOT picked up on Wiper Blades, Tyres etc if needing replaced, even if just advisories, but check condition.

Like other stuff, check past mot's for advisories and this last MOT.

?

When was the last MOT, and did the place that services the car also MOT it?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies so far! Super useful... Unfortunately we're still trying to find the log book but AFAIK it's only been serviced and MOT'd at the Skoda dealer it was bought from. Services and MOT's appear to be as regular as clockwork every March. We know it did have new tires at the last service which was this year so hopefully that was the 6000 mile service as well. I've got the reports from most of the yearly services up to 2017 and it does look like the oil filter and oil has been changed yearly. Pollen filter and brake fluid were changed 2016 (but may have been more recent as well). Have phoned the dealer and asked them to try and source the history from the last 2 services but waiting for a call back. Will keep you all informed! 

This is quite a noob question but re: general driving. I learnt on and have only driven more modern engines before and was taught to essentially change up as fast as possible and keep revs as low as possible. I get that the revs are limited to 3000 so if on the motorway or national speed limit going above that will have a detrimental effect on fuel economy but in normal driving is it better practice to keep the revs of the HTP engine a bit higher than say my gf's Ecoboost Focus? The engine and gearing in the Fabia seem so willing it seems happy to drive and pull in pretty much any gear! 

I am enjoying the car so far! Seems a really great first vehicle... And I know that it has a low powered engine but it seems perky and well behaved to me and I have had no problem keeping up with traffic so far. It is definitely not an unpleasant drive. Thanks again for all the assistance...

4 minutes ago, edhombre said:

I get that the revs are limited to 3000

I don't follow?

Where is the start of the red area on your rev counter, surely somewhere near 6000?

Drive any way that feels right to you for the conditions. You'll hear and feel it if you make the engine labour too much by picking too high a gear at too low a speed, I think.

Do you know the engine code of the car, BBM for example? Will be on the car data sticker in the boot, usually near the spare wheel well.

• Like 1

Set the tyre pressures as you think they should be by the fuel filler flap and just drive the car as the revs are needed.

As to Skoda Main Dealers Servicing, it should all be on the computer system and they can print it out or email it to you.

PS

When checking the tyre pressures please look and see what tyres are fitted, brand and size, and are all 4 the same?

29 minutes ago, Wino said:

I don't follow?

Where is the start of the red area on your rev counter, surely somewhere near 6000?

Drive any way that feels right to you for the conditions. You'll hear and feel it if you make the engine labour too much by picking too high a gear at too low a speed, I think.

Do you know the engine code of the car, BBM for example? Will be on the car data sticker in the boot, usually near the spare wheel well.

Engine code is CHFA. Re: revs. Sorry... I used the wrong term I think! (Noob driver etc) I mean that the engine is developing maximum torque at 3000 revs so as I understand it... yes it will produce more revs and go faster but going over 3000 in any gear = worse fuel consumption. Because it's a slightly old fashioned engine I'm just trying to get my head round it a little! I've been trying to do my homework and I'm sure I read somewhere on here suggesting that continually running the htp engine at too low revs was bad for it? 

23 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Set the tyre pressures as you think they should be by the fuel filler flap and just drive the car as the revs are needed.

As to Skoda Main Dealers Servicing, it should all be on the computer system and they can print it out or email it to you.

PS

When checking the tyre pressures please look and see what tyres are fitted, brand and size, and are all 4 the same?

All four tires look new and are the same! Yup... waiting for the dealer to get back to me.

Hi and welcome. I have the 2010 12 valve version of the engine (70bhp) and i think it's a wonderful little unit. It's now covered 90,000 plus fault free miles (shame I can't say the same for the gearbox but that's another story...). You are correct in saying that the power and torque peak at around 3000 rpm and I find the gearbox is set perfectly for that, ie 60 mph in 4th and 70 mph in 5th are both at the 3,000 rpm mark. I use it in towns, rural roads and motorways to Cardiff and back without issue. I think it would struggle out of town with a full load of passengers but it would get you there as long as you use the gearbox to keep it in the power band. As long as the engine is serviced regularly using the correct grade of oil it seems to be a pretty bullet proof little unit. It always amazes me when i lift the bonnet just how small this 3 cylinder engine is! Enjoy the car, it sounds like you have a keeper there. 🙂

8 hours ago, edhombre said:

Engine code is CHFA. Re: revs. Sorry... I used the wrong term I think! (Noob driver etc) I mean that the engine is developing maximum torque at 3000 revs so as I understand it... yes it will produce more revs and go faster but going over 3000 in any gear = worse fuel consumption. Because it's a slightly old fashioned engine I'm just trying to get my head round it a little! I've been trying to do my homework and I'm sure I read somewhere on here suggesting that continually running the htp engine at too low revs was bad for it? 

All four tires look new and are the same! Yup... waiting for the dealer to get back to me.

Generally just try and keep it in the lowest gear possible unless you're wanting to accelerate faster. It will drink more at 5000 in 3rd than 2000 in 5th (for example). Revving it too much for extended periods is bad, and while I highly doubt that babying it would do harm, it's good to give it some beans every once in a while to clear the cobwebs out. 

The point is, it's a reasonably modern car, so they're pretty fool proof. Unless your elderly relative was as bad as older people trying to drive manual where I live (bashing limiter in 1st on their Camrys around town because they forget it isn't an auto..) then you should expect to see a great lifetime out of the Fabia.

3 minutes ago, 2ndskoda said:

marfrohun said - "Generally just try and keep it in the lowest gear possible "  ??????  er Pardon, I think he means the highest gear possible, or have I missed something here?

That should've read lowest gear ratio.

i.e. highest gear.

Best advise is just drive and enjoy the car, being a newish driver you are probably still driving how you were shown (i say shown not tought by your instructor), well now is the time to "learn" to drive, you will get the feel of the car soon enough and understand when to change up and down the gearbox as ALL cars are different.

The little 3 pot engines are great and do like to be revved, they are also pretty fool/bomb proof if looked after, it is good to take the engine up to red line a few times (HTP engine red lines at about 6k rpm) but only do this once the engine is at normal tempreture. best to do this when accelerating down a slip road i find.

• Like 1