Used Purchase Advice

rnc

Hi all,

We're looking to upgrade and have been considering a Kodiaq.  We generally do urban driving with occasional forays out to the coast/country/holidays Essentially we don't do a *lot* of driving but when we do we might have 2-3 adults + 2 children and large dog (!). So I was thinking petrol rather than diesel.

Does anyone know - can things like the spare wheel and front sensors be retrofitted (with genuine parts) ?

While I have seen some 1.4 , 1.5 and 2.0 cars available - I have heard the 1.5 engine is iffy with an ongoing complaints about it. I don't know whether the 1.4 will have sufficient 'grunt' ( e.g. hills in Lake Dstrict ) ?

While obviously I would prefer better fuel economy I would rather have a known good engine and one with enough pull for a fully loaded car. We don't tow, although we might end up with a roof box and bikes on the tow bar.

Assuming I get it from a Skoda main dealer, from looking around ( I was thinking of the Edition model ) a lot of them are a lot further south than me (in Newcastle) - would the warranty be valid at any dealer ? Has anyone bought from a dealer a long way away - any advice?

Finally, a slightly bizarre question (related to the dog 🙂 ) - what is the width of the boot ( between the wheel arches ) - couldn't find this information online and it would be useful to know in terms of cages / dividers !

Thanks very much!

Nick

I have a 5 seater and the width between the wheel arches is 1000mm. The length from inside the boot lip to the bottom of the rear seats is also 1000mm.

A dealer other than the one you buy your car from will honour your warranty and service your car.

For the mileage you'll be doing - definitely a petrol unless you particularly like the way a diesel drives.

I've never driven the 1.4 petrol but I'm happy with my 2.0 petrol, although mpg is nothing to write home about. It's not something I'm bothered about and I knew it wouldn't be brilliant when I bought the car.

• Like 1

Don't dismiss the 1.4  just because it sounds small.  Try one - it may well meet your needs, as it's very much smoother and more powerful than it sounds as though it should be.  (I also drive a 2.2 litre petrol Mercedes-Benz as a modern classic - capable of 125 mph and rated to tow 2.3 tonnes.  It feels very lethargic after the 1.4 Kodiaq.)

• Like 1

Are you looking at 5 or 7 seat?

Spare wheel can be easily retrofitted - depending on what you have - 5 or 7 seat - there is a different kit - the kit has the jack and foam support and spare wheel.

The kit is around £250

The front sensors could be retrofitted - but not easy..  I think you need to fit some grill panels as well as wiring harness and probably some coding

There is some other posts on her about Karoq / Kodiaq Sensors... have a search

Kufatec do kits - but not sure its complete kit - you would need to speak with them.

Also TransK9 do nice cage - or boot buddy do a liner for the boot to go with Travall Dog Guard.

image.thumb.png.9ab3811d81e5708c3cffada8e8cc7d02.png

image.thumb.png.ddc0c4e90ca6d35181ecab5455feb3e9.png

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your replies - very useful! 😀

We would probably look at 7 seater as we have found with our verso it can be useful now and again.

I guess as long as the dealer does the retrofitting (I'd they aren't there already) then it's fine.

What is the 1.4 compared like to the 1.5? (which seems more common - unless that is people rejecting them!!)

The 1.4 TSI is identical to the 1.5 TSI in terms of output, at least on paper.

Some might suggest the increased emissions and efficiency of the 1.5 TSI have come at a cost, and somewhat strangled real life day-to-day performance.

This aside, the ongoing concerns with the driveability of the 1.5 TSI would keep me well away from buying one at the moment.

On 16/10/2019 at 09:46, SimonAudi said:

Where too exactly - perhaps someone else can go check it out for you if they are near?

As it happened its been sold already 😞

Well having driven a MY20 1.5tsi manual for a few days now, I have had zero instances of the "Kangaroo" feature.

It behaves exactly the same as a 1.4tsi imo (strange that), and has more than enough power for me.  

Speed is subjective at the end of the day, but I have never found myself stuck for power when I needed it.

Appreciate this is not exactly a long term review, but thought I would post asap.

• Like 1

I didn't notice if you mentioned 2wd or 4x4 that you were looking at? 

I have the 2.0tsi 190 and on my everyday fairly short journeys on fast b roads and some fairly naggery single track stuff I'm getting low to mid 30's mpg (I don't particularly baby it either, snappy overtaking is the order of the day). On a good long run though you might see 40 mpg if your saintly. I'm generally happy with that, as the 2.0 goes well (though performance is a very dangerous subject to get into on here so I'll go no further than that) but suffice to say more power is very rarely regretted. From what I hear 1.4/1.5tsi (4x4 versions) are only fractionally better on fuel than 2.0, 2wd versions will obviously do better than that again. Really you'll just have to get some test driving done as by all accounts the 1.4 (haven't driven it) is noticeably sharper than the recalcitrant 1.5tsi (have driven it, all be it in an octy not a Kodiaq) or you may find you want the extra poke from the 2.0tsi. Only you know what is right for you... 

Edited by Gmac983

On 20/10/2019 at 21:06, Gmac983 said:

I didn't notice if you mentioned 2wd or 4x4 that you were looking at? 

I have the 2.0tsi 190 and on my everyday fairly short journeys on fast b roads and some fairly naggery single track stuff I'm getting low to mid 30's mpg (I don't particularly baby it either, snappy overtaking is the order of the day). On a good long run though you might see 40 mpg if your saintly. I'm generally happy with that, as the 2.0 goes well (though performance is a very dangerous subject to get into on here so I'll go no further than that) but suffice to say more power is very rarely regretted. From what I hear 1.4/1.5tsi (4x4 versions) are only fractionally better on fuel than 2.0, 2wd versions will obviously do better than that again. Really you'll just have to get some test driving done as by all accounts the 1.4 (haven't driven it) is noticeably sharper than the recalcitrant 1.5tsi (have driven it, all be it in an octy not a Kodiaq) or you may find you want the extra poke from the 2.0tsi. Only you know what is right for you... 

Given a lot of the used ones available appear to be 4x4 I guess I am fairly ambivalent about it. As I understand it will help traction a little bit, a the fuel economy will be affected as well. I have been looking for an Edition model.

We currently have a 2.2 diesel 2007 Toyota Corolla Verso so nothing particularly amazing performance wise 😉 Not wanting it to be 'sporty' (!), just enough ommph to handle hills/overtaking safely. Will try to find one close to test drive.

Thanks again for all the help / advice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I thought I would post a review after a longer period of ownership.

Simply put, there is no way that a 1.5 Kodiaq is lacking for power.

Around the streets it's a struggle to keep below 30mph, on the motorway it's not super quick, but it's hardly slow either.

It's absolutely fine (even fully loaded).  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

And to follow up.... I am now the proud owner of a Kodiaq Edition 😀

1.4, but for us it seems plenty quick enough.  Not tried fully loaded admittedly.  Fuel consumption is so so but then I am comparing to my 07 diesel Verso - which was just before they bought in the dpf.

All in all so far am very happy with it.  This weekend will be fitting the dog guard and divider I got from http://guardsmandogguards.co.uk/   ( if anyone else has a pupster needing looking after 😀 )

• Like 1