Another boost pipe problem

vindaloo

Driving along and got to a clear part, hit the accelerator, and huge bang, no power, grumpy engine and huge smoke if I put my foot down.

It's the joint near the fuel filter on the front, left hand side of the VRS engine bay, as you look at it from the front.

Closer inspection (after it happened 3 times), reveals the securing lugs at the top end on pipe "8" here - https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2005-453/1/145-145070/#8

The lugs have gone completely. The one on the "loose" side of the clip has fractured and peeled back leaving no surface to bear against. I've bodged it back into place with a screwdriver blade but that's not going to be reliable. 

So, looking for chapter and verse on sticking many self tappers into it (as they are what I've got). In particular, I'd need to get both pipes out. What's needed to release the bottom end of pipe "8" from the intercooler?

I suppose one option is to use self tapper as a new lug for the clip to bear on? Haven't heard of anyone doing that one though. And it'll probably be less good than 3-4 self tapping screws.

J.

Edited by vindaloo

I quite like your lug replacement idea using self tapping screws, you could loctite the screws in place then slice the heads off and the clip could bear against the protruding screw stubs for a tight and permanent fix.

Good luck with the zip ties.

3 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I quite like your lug replacement idea using self tapping screws, you could loctite the screws in place then slice the heads off and the clip could bear against the protruding screw stubs for a tight and permanent fix.

Good luck with the zip ties.

Was thinking countersunk and maybe a washer to ensure the clip didn't ride up over it. Plus maybe some minor filing and epoxy or insta-glue to toughen it up. Also a small plastic/nylon "nut" or similar on the inside to take up the remaining thread length. Thought about nut/bolt but the thought of metal hardware flying through a cylinder made me feel ill.

My 100 HD zip ties have arrived. At least if this doesn't work I haven't made a hole in anything.

4 hours ago, DriverTom said:

Have you considered replacing the pipe? £15 for a second hand one on eBay and then fit it with some oil proof adhesive?

New 3rd party ones are <£30. I need the car for Saturday or that would be favourite. Plus the faff of taking the headlamp out to access the upper intercooler connector to get it out. I'm tempted to DIY replace the lot if I have to do that. Though that's £100 and some fettling to make it work.

J.

Had a longer play today, ended up zipping up the cable ties a little more. They get warm and bend more easily. A bad and a good thing.

- They allowed the pipes to drift apart a little.

- It was much easier to pull them a little tighter.

Also, my zip tie method is flawed. In amongst faffing around getting the ones around each pipe positioned, I failed in positioning the heads of the joining ones.

For next time.... Ideally, the headed end of the tie is at the bottom, allowing a pliers or grip to pull the long end through and up. Also,  make sure there's little slack at the bottom end behind the head. The connection should be around the mid-point once fully tightened.

J.

2019-10-18 10.56.10.jpg

2019-10-18 10.55.37.jpg

Guest BigJase88

self tappers is the trip certainly wont pop off with them, no adverse effects either as long ad you can clear the swarf out of the pipes

• 1 month later...

Update to this.

The pipes worked partially loose again within a week. But not so loose that I could manipulate them back into place.

I ended up cutting both of the connecting zip ties off.

Then used three new zip ties and pulled like a dog to get them tight. With the three zip ties, there's no sign of movement from the joint after a month.

J.