Oil Cooler Thermostat

Evening all. I have 2014 Superb estate 2.0 TDI DSG.

I am posting this up as information. Hope it is of use to somebody as it took a while to isolate first time round. This has now happened twice on my car, although over 100K miles each time. APOLOGIES if already discussed elsewhere.

The symptoms for this problem are:  The water temperature gauge needle starts to rise and drop, particularly when the temperature is cold, i.e. early morning. This can result in NO warm blowing into the car, even on hottest setting.

The part that needs replacing is the thermostat mounted on top of the oil cooler. Fairly simple job once airbox is removed. Have included picture of the part number should somebody need it.

Oil Cooler Thermostat.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup - it has come up here before but its no harm to have a reminder.  Its coming up now on later MY cars so more people are going to experience it.

It's become a common enough problem for owners with DSG equipped cars and there's been quite a few posts where people found that both dealers and independents did not know about it.  They replace the main/other thermostat which is common to the Manual and DSG cars and then scratch their heads when the problem remains unresolved.

One of the parts descriptions I have seen said this - which agrees  nicely with your experience "This inline thermostat to the DSG cooler can stick open and cause the coolant temperature gauge to fluctuate and the coolant struggle to get up to temperature"

I

Edited by TheRobinK
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Hi, it happened to my skoda Superb last year in the winter, sometimes the fan turned on as well oil temperature stays between 70 to 88, water temperature stays between 60 to 70, during the summer it’s been ok no problem at all but 2 days ago when the weather was a bit cold it happened again for a few times during the day. Yesterday when I started the car, engine sign came on, I traveled 150 miles the oil and water temperature never reached to normal and the engine sign stayed on. On the way back all the same engine light on, temperatures stayed low. 
Any help or advice. Thanks