cam follower and cam chain tensioner vRS petrol

hey all , recently acquired an Audi A3 quattro , with the BWA engine, same as the octy II vRS .... I have a few questions if you would indulge me :)

firstly its a bit rattly on start up from cold.... this quickly quiets down, and doesn't do it from a warm start... i assume this is the oil pressure building in the cam chain tensioner, until pressure has built and  it tightens everything up... only lasts a few seconds, (had a recent oil change by audi tech) is this normal ? ( it used to be normal in my old 1.4 twin charger in my fabia vRS and nothing to worry about) just wondering if I have a problem and need to get things changed to pre-empt damage... ideas/experiances? (tia)

secondly , I have no idea if the cam follower has ever been changed, car is on 97,000 miles, and running perfectly , just been MOTd with no issues, no error codes ect .... how often do you guys change your cam followers, if at all ? some people say every 40k , some every 10k! VAG obviously say its not a consumable part lol... even though they made a harder cam for this engine after issues! 😮 

Thanks for any replies, just looking to do preventative medicine if it needs it :)

IMG_4940.JPEG

Cam follower? I'm used to cam followers being the ones between the camshaft and the inlet/exhaust valves - however I presume you mean the fuel pump cam follower in this case? I'd say if it's working OK then leave well alone.

Might be worth getting the timing chain tensioner changed though - they are known to fail:-

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

Cam follower? I'm used to cam followers being the ones between the camshaft and the inlet/exhaust valves - however I presume you mean the fuel pump cam follower in this case? I'd say if it's working OK then leave well alone.

Might be worth getting the timing chain tensioner changed though - they are known to fail:-

yeah I'm referring to the fuel pump drive off the cam.... luckily those engines in the link are not the bwa engine... its belt driven (cam belts been done) so isn't the same problem... like the old 1.8t 20v in my octy, its just a small chain that connects the two camshafts.... has an oil pressure run tensioner in it...

On 25/10/2019 at 08:26, sharkrider said:

yeah I'm referring to the fuel pump drive off the cam.... luckily those engines in the link are not the bwa engine... its belt driven (cam belts been done) so isn't the same problem... like the old 1.8t 20v in my octy, its just a small chain that connects the two camshafts.... has an oil pressure run tensioner in it...

Is the BWA the EA113 block?  That was only in the early (preFL??) Octavia.

If it's an EA113 then do the fuel pump follower every 45-60k

If it's the EA888 (far more common) then the fuel pump follower is generally good but the cam chain tensioner is problematic.

• Like 1