Skoda Octavia CR 1.6TDI Elegance Estate Help.

I’m the above owner of a MK2 version of the above title, but have been involved in an accident and it’s going to be wrote off I believe. So after the MK2 version being so good to me and my family as it never missed a beat, and proved very reliable. I am considering getting a MK3 version of the same car. 

so is the MK3 version as good as the MK2? Any known problems to look out for at all? As the last car being so good I’d be happy to have a MK3 version as if I’m honest their isn’t much else that floats our boat. 

help and opinions welcome, thanks Lee. 

I loved both my MK2's (the first was a 2.0 pd tdi Elegence, the second a 1.8 tsi L & K, both brilliant in every respect apart from the 1.8tsi; can't beat the power and torque, but it's apetite for oil was something else.

Now i have a MK3 Elengance 1.4Tsi dsg, must say again a brilliant car but (and it's really small but) the ride isn't on par with the MK2's, it isn't bad but just feels slightly numb and old fashioned but that is down to the torture (opps) torsion beam rear axle that the non VRS spec cars got. The DSG is brilliant but they can be troublesome so a water tight warranty is needed there. This just my experiance after 4 weeks of owning it, it has been bomb proof on being reliable, so findings things on it the are good ideas. love the car.  

Forgot to say all mine have been hatchbacks not estate's

Edited by Ju1ian1001
  • Like 1

Having owned both and now sold the Mk3 and kept the Mk2 I'd say a long test drive on mixed roads is really important.

For the 1.6diesel you loose independent rear suspension on the Mk3. The torsion beam and the suspension setup means the Mk3 has a crashy ride and much more suspension and road noise gets into the cabin.

Also the new 1.6TDi is quite boomy at motorway speeds especially with the 5 speed manual.

The technology has improved on the Mk3 but the ride and refinement has taken a step back.

• Like 1

Logiclee wrote

(For the 1.6 diesel you loose independent rear suspension on the Mk3. The torsion beam and the suspension setup means the Mk3 has a crashy ride and much more suspension and road noise gets into the cabin.)

Reading the quote above does Redcupraboy's present MK2 have independent rear suspension.

15 minutes ago, benterrier said:

Reading the quote above does Redcupraboy's present MK2 have independent rear suspension.

Yes.

And to be honest unless you do mega miles I'd avoid the 1.6TDi in the Mk3. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Yes.

And to be honest unless you do mega miles I'd avoid the 1.6TDi in the Mk3. 

I’m guessing this is down to the noisy/booming engine you mentioned above then?

im also going to look at Volkswagen Passat 1.6tdi bluemotion executive estate models too I think. Other than this not much else I like really, quite like the Mazda 6 tourer skyactive 2.2D 148bhp model, but worried about real world running costs due to the large engine.

Edited by redcupraboy

I came from a 1.6 TDI blue motion Passat. Very nice car, quiet, comfortable ride and the Passat 1,6 comes with 120ps and a six speed gearbox. Just wanted a hatch, bit smaller and a 2.0l TDI. Voilà .... Octavia but it has it draw backs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redcupraboy said:

I’m guessing this is down to the noisy/booming engine you mentioned above then?

im also going to look at Volkswagen Passat 1.6tdi bluemotion executive estate models too I think. Other than this not much else I like really, quite like the Mazda 6 tourer skyactive 2.2D 148bhp model, but worried about real world running costs due to the large engine.

I've owned two 2.0TDi  Passats from new. 

I had a 1.6TDi from the dealer when mine was in for repairs.

The 1.6TDi in the Passat is pretty gutless and there is virtually no difference in economy.

Just buy the 2.0.

• Like 2

I had one of the first mark 3 1.6 TD Elegance Estate cars, overall it was a good car but spoiled somewhat by the crash bang whallop torsion beam suspension and the five speed gearbox with rather gappy gear ratios. Currently driving a 2019 1.5 petrol Octavia Estate car, huge difference to the suspension setup somehow compared to the 2013 car, much more comfortable somehow. The 1.6 TD engine is a bit flat under 40mph and great after that when the turbo is working.

On 29/10/2019 at 10:01, logiclee said:

I've owned two 2.0TDi  Passats from new. 

I had a 1.6TDi from the dealer when mine was in for repairs.

The 1.6TDi in the Passat is pretty gutless and there is virtually no difference in economy.

Just buy the 2.0.

Just to second that. Although I've never driven a 1.6tdi Octavia estate, I did drive a 1.6tdi Passat ( manual ) and it was defo gutless. OK once on the move but acceleration seemed lethargic - perhaps just that Passat is the heavier car.

I'd have thought the reason for avoiding the 1.6tdi DSG is two-fold:

1: I have a 1.4tsi estate and it averages around 50mpg therefore would have to be covering mega miles for a tdi to make sense. I'd suggest the mpg figures are so close is because of that acceleration... performance is something I never think about with the 1.4tsi but my experience with the 1.6tdi was that to make it move, you really had to rev the thing.

2: DSG.  DSG's in anything under 2.0 ( tdi or tsi engines ) do not have a good reputation for reliability. They use something called a 7 speed dry-clutch DQ200 gearbox. Just google "DQ200" to see the number of issues. The larger engines have different gearboxes that aren't any less reliable than twin-clutch gearboxes from any other manufacturer. Personally if I were buying a DSG I'd defo look at a 2L engine.  In saying that, I've read the DQ200 when fitted to the 3 cylinfer 1.0tsi engine has proved reliable thus far. That may because the gearbox is less stressed  - but that's just my best guess. 

Edited by Guest

I think the 1.6d and 1.0tsi have a place in the market:

• Service engineers, pool cars and the likes of.

• People who have no problems with low performance and don't have any interest GTi badges, low profile tyres and coloured calipers.

• Something that will get them from A to B safely within the speed limits.

Horses for courses.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, benterrier said:

I think the 1.6d and 1.0tsi have a place in the market:

• Service engineers, pool cars and the likes of.

• People who have no problems with low performance and don't have any interest GTi badges, low profile tyres and coloured calipers.

• Something that will get them from A to B safely within the speed limits.

Horses for courses.

But as a private buyer you also have to consider reliability, comfort and refinement and what you are actually saving.

The 1.6TDi has specific issues in the Octavia 3. The engine is the most unrefined in the range and has known issues, it is the only engine to have a 5 speed gearbox which has widely spaced ratios and a poor shift. Choose an auto and you get the DSG DQ200 which has known reliability issue.

Choose the 2.0TDi and all those problems go away for hardly any difference in running costs. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for input, iv decided to not bother with MK3 Skoda Octavia, and not a 1.6tdi. I’m currently looking at VW Passat 2.0 TDI bluemotion estate models and I’m looking at VW Golf GT 2.0 TDI bluemotion also in Estate form. 

15 hours ago, redcupraboy said:

Thanks all for input, iv decided to not bother with MK3 Skoda Octavia, and not a 1.6tdi. I’m currently looking at VW Passat 2.0 TDI bluemotion estate models and I’m looking at VW Golf GT 2.0 TDI bluemotion also in Estate form. 

The Passat is just in a different league for refinement and ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

The Passat is just in a different league for refinement and ride.

It’s a close call between the looks of them both, but the Passat is bigger, and probably better for family duty’s being a tad larger. 

is this the case for 2014/2015 models as this is what my budget is allowing me to find?