Downshifting my Superb to a Fabia

42 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

Don't do it OP. While on paper the argument for downsizing might make sense, the reality is that having got used to the Superbs comfort and refinement the novelty will wear off very quickly. I've downsized a few times over the years and each time went back to larger, more comfortable car soon afterwards. 

Thanks for your input, and you too @penguin17, @silver1011 and everyone else who commented. I've never been disappointed in these forums and you've all raised great points.

As a couple of you have mentioned, maybe the Kamiq is worth considering. Smaller, but not too small.  My wife would prefer the Fabia though - or even a Citigo!

• Like 1

Seems a pretty drastic thing to do... 

As others have said a Kamiq or a Scala would be good alternatives for you. Or perhaps a karoq or even an octavia, all would be a reduction in size for you from your superb and well worth considering. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it for the reasons posted above by others. 

I have however had a go in a 95ps manual fabia courtesy car recently and here are my thoughts. 

Not a bad car, economical (I struggles to get it below 50mpg where mine would do 35mpg). Even with a 5MT, revs are not high on motorway speeds. Peppy car, fun noise from the 3 pot, easy to park and maneouver over the superb. 

The cons: used to my big centre screen, I don't like the tiny one in the Fabia. No ACC. And the deal breaker... No centre arm rest :P. I kept trying to rest my arm on empty space. 

I'd say if you wanna downsize, try a Scala maybe. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

I wouldn't do it for the reasons posted above by others. 

I have however had a go in a 95ps manual fabia courtesy car recently and here are my thoughts. 

Not a bad car, economical (I struggles to get it below 50mpg where mine would do 35mpg). Even with a 5MT, revs are not high on motorway speeds. Peppy car, fun noise from the 3 pot, easy to park and maneouver over the superb. 

The cons: used to my big centre screen, I don't like the tiny one in the Fabia. No ACC. And the deal breaker... No centre arm rest :P. I kept trying to rest my arm on empty space. 

I'd say if you wanna downsize, try a Scala maybe. 

You can get a center arm rest for the Fabia, easy to fit.

• Like 1

@tkn

The Fabia 110PS DSG is so good and so important to the sales of mk3 Fabias that they discontinued them.

Maybe a temp thing or maybe just Skoda wanting to get sales of Scala & Kamiq.

More likely Polo / Ibiza sales.

The Citigo is so good that the advertising campaign has been on the go, only the small print shows that only cars in stock available.

SEAT Mii electric price revealed, Citigo iV (electric) still to be announced.

Edited by Roottootemoot

How about buying a used Citigo. £5000 would get you a good  spec, greentech would be nil VED, so the only additional running cost would be insurance and a small amount of cheap maintenance. You then don't have to potentially  make an expensive mistake but just decide which keys to pick up before you leave the house!! If you can buy well then even if you decide the Citigo is too small you will lose very little if you sell it.

No doubt you have realised this is what I have done!! It's worked so well that I've kept both and use which ever one takes my fancy on the day. The Citigo is brilliant by the way👍👍

• Like 1

On 03/11/2019 at 03:07, Awed said:

Exactly my fear. The grass is always greener....my thinking was to  use money saved on PCP payments to hire a larger car on those occasions when I needed the space or for a long motorway trip, but you can't always plan ahead, can you?  Point taken about the 110 PS engine vs the 95. That should be 33% better power-to-weight ratio (110/1100 vs 150/2000) than a 150PS Superb.

Your weight figures for the 1.4tsi Superb are way out.

Your version has a remarkably low weight for the size of the vehicle of under 1400kg. Even the 206kw AWD Superb is under 1800kg.

From memory the 0-100kph times for the 1.0tsi Fabia are about 9.9 seconds and the 1.4tsi Superb about 8.9 seconds.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from a smaller vehicle just ensuring you are not under any illusions about their relative performance.

4 hours ago, superskoda2 said:

How about buying a used Citigo. £5000 would get you a good  spec, greentech would be nil VED, so the only additional running cost would be insurance and a small amount of cheap maintenance. You then don't have to potentially  make an expensive mistake but just decide which keys to pick up before you leave the house!! If you can buy well then even if you decide the Citigo is too small you will lose very little if you sell it.

No doubt you have realised this is what I have done!! It's worked so well that I've kept both and use which ever one takes my fancy on the day. The Citigo is brilliant by the way👍👍

My wife would love a Citigo. But I'm trying to avoid becoming a multi-car household!

On 03/11/2019 at 16:35, tkn said:

You can get a center arm rest for the Fabia, easy to fit.

I see that as a factory option too. As @KeteCantek said, an armrest is a deal breaker for me! I just wouldn't know what to do with my left elbow otherwise.

Just now, Awed said:

I see that as a factory option too. As @KeteCantek said, an armrest is a deal breaker for me! I just wouldn't know what to do with my left elbow otherwise.

Even if not as a factory option, it can easily be fitted. There is a plastic square that can be lifted (where you can also tighten handbrake). I'm pretty sure you can buy an official Skoda armrest. I could be wrong!

22 hours ago, Awed said:

You've talked me out of it.  Thanks to all who commented!

I’m glad.  You’ll not regret it.

Little cars deliver little car comfort (or lack of) and little car performance (or lack of).

You can add as many gadgets as possible, but it’s still a little, uncomfortable car without any room for people and/or Stuff.

I’m fortunate to be in a 2 car home for now, but I won’t give up my bus / skip truck / taxi in a hurry, though we are downsizing Her Octavia soon as we don’t need 2 big taxis any more, so she’ll get by in a Polo next time.

• Haha 1

The right choice IMHO. We have a Superb and a Karoq, and before that a Yeti. The Superb is the best cruiser by far, and even though the Karoq is similar spec (active cruise, auto, 1.5 engine so reasonable power) it doesn't have the 'planted' feel of the Superb. 

• Like 1