Service / Oil Change

I have a 2019 Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 diesel 190DSG which I bought earlier this year as a demonstrator with 4,000 miles on the clock. It’s ‘new’ as of March 2019.

The next Service is showing as being due in 311 days time, which takes me to a date in Jan 2021 when the car will be 22 months old.

i have always believed that an oil & filter change was required at least every 12 months, which I have always adhered to with all my previous cars going back many years ( started driving in 1974 ). 

I only do around 8,000 miles per year, mainly ‘ round the doors ‘ with motorway trips’ of about 250 miles once or twice per month.

Is leaving the oil change for 22 months ok, or should I just have it changed every 12 months as I have done with all my previous cars which were both old & new, petrol & diesel. 

Thanks. 

If the vast majority of your journeys are short local journeys then should be on the fixed servicing regime (every 12 months or 9400 miles, whichever comes first)

It appears the car is set for variable servicing (mainly long distance cruising) which is upto 24 months or 18000 miles

One thing is if it is a 2019 diesel it will have all sorts of emissions kit that wasn't on older ones,  2 motorway trips per month will allow it time to warm through and do a filter regen, but if you do too many short journeys (without a long one) then filter could clog and performance will be impaired.  If it ever gets seriously clogged it is expensive to get a ceramex clean.  Using super diesel rather than regular diesel will help.    

Edited by SurreyJohn
grammar error

I'd imagine there is a seperate oil light indicator, which would likely trigger before the service is due?

From what i've heard about flexible / variable servicing, the oil light tends to come on early say 15k miles and the dealer will do the service at the same time

@Stella6yew

If you want an oil and filter change and an Inspection Service, or other Servicing just book the car in when you want, 

tell the Reception Staff what you want, tell them at the service you want it set to Fixed Service intervals and ask how much that will be.

You don't need to have servicing intervals that you do not want to have.

Do not pay for stuff that is not getting checked or changed such as Pollen Filters, Air Filters or Fuel filters.

Just the Simple Servicing, & health check that gets done on nearly new cars.

Edited by Roottootemoot

long intervals are for producers, dealers and tax collectors - earlier dead = quicker new purchases.
if its your car, not lease, then change on every 10k Km,
15k Km can be ok when car is used highway only.
instead when car is used only in city then 300 `engine on` hours are reached on 8-9k Km

first engine oil replace i made on 6k Km, then few on 9-10k Km,
but now moved to 7.5, every second official and other on side