Radio switching off

Nicky_P

Here's a weird one.....

The wife told me tonight that everynight on her commute home at exactly 5pm her radio turns off.

Strange as this is, whats even more perplexing is it only happens on radio 2.

Any ideas what the hell is going on here?

Cheers 

Nik

"Here is the radio 2 news at five o'clock"

Could the car hear that as a voice command to switch off radio 2 ?

I have no idea what actually happens on radio 2 at 5, I'm just taking a wild guess.😁

Just a wild guess but Is a phone connected to the car either by cable or wireless hot spot? If so maybe the phone has an alarm or notification that's sent at 5pm. With the Edition model the infotainment is a complicated piece of equipment so maybe some event may cause it to decide to have 40 winks. Odd that it's radio 2 only unless there is a BBC R2 app that is hijacking the source selection. Try Planet Rock as maybe 5:00 R2 music acts like a lullaby for the infotainment 🙂 

Disclaimer: I don't listen to R2 on the way home from work these days so cannot comment on channel content (used to make me sleepy) or from Planet Rock for that matter.... (used to makes me angry)  🙂

10 hours ago, silver1011 said:

You're not alone.

09:47am every day, on the dot for this poor guy...

Thanks for that, very interesting that they too are having the same issues with Radio 2.

Just need to figure out what's going on now 🤔

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue. Intermittently (maybe once every couple of weeks) the radio loses sound on Radio 2 - I estimate the 90% of the time this is when a news bulletin starts! (I suppose it could be trying to protect me from bad news...……)

It isn't the radio switching off - to resolve it I select another station, then go back to Radio 2 and the sound is back.

This is on a Columbus using DAB.

Are you losing the DAB signal? There's a dead spot outside Swindon where Radio 4 always disappears, there is a symbol on the infotainment to indicate this, an aerial with a line through it I think. I think certain stations are grouped together on a wavelength so while you might lose on group maybe you don't lose all stations.

• Like 1