Help choosing budget coilovers?

Guest BigJase88

Don’t waste your time. Get some Eibach springs for it. At least that way you will keep your fillings.

cheap £250 coilovers are not worth even thinking about

Guest BigJase88
7 hours ago, foxesgoldencrunches said:

How would the stock shocks fair? mine have about had it

Probably had it aswell to be fair.

been a while since i have looked at things for the mk1 fabia but you want something like AP coilovers as a minimum (kw brand)

I’ve just had to change my KW’s due to both fronts leaking (KW wanted £540 for two replacements!) so went with AP’s as I couldn’t afford £800 to replace the whole lot at this point. 

Found AP’s for £435 at Venom Motorsport when everywhere else was selling them for £520. A little less comfy than the KW’s, but not that much. Certainly not  half the comfort. 

£400 minimum for reasonable parts, plus fitting. That gets you near... Then RARB for £150 (if fitting on your driveway). If you are wanting a cross country weapon then you also need bigger and fancier brakes (312s at a minimum). Basic remap with torque limited is the most cost effective upgrade for smiles, lbft and BHP.

I have 288's on my tool eater, the same setup as the VRS, they're more than adequate for fast road use, I considered upgrading to 312's but with good quality pads and discs fitted it simply hasn't proven necessary.

Bigger and better is always bigger and better of course but unless you're doing track days or have really big power then I think the standard brakes are man enough.

The most dramatic differences to performance and safety come from PU console bushes, good springs and shocks and a RARB.

I had JOM coilovers on my mk2 Golf... Just don't they were awful. A previous owner fitted them, they looked quite new and when I took the passenger side one off to inspect it as it looked like it was leaking, all of the oil had come out of it so you could pull the shaft up and it would drop down instantly.