Wireless Android Auto FL Superb III

Hello all,

Unfortunately my Octavia VRS met it's demise last week when I got T-Boned by a taxi ignoring a red light.

I am now looking at replacing it with a new Superb Sportline, however I have a question that I'm struggling to find a definitive answer for so I'm hoping a current owner or expert on here can assist!

Do you know if Android Auto can be used wirelessly in this car? I know it can't be used via Bluetooth as there is to much information going back and forth but I have read that compatible cars with inbuilt wifi can connect without a cable.

Does the car come with this as standard or would I need to spec the "Media Command" option? The dealer I am talking to seems unsure and there are no cars available in the UK with Media Command so it would mean a factory order which will take 3 months!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

only MIB3 versions of the infotainment systems will be wireless capable.

this is expected to b made available in "later" versions of the FL Superb.

the pre-facelift Superbs came with:-

- MIB2 button version

- MIB2.5 buttonless version

• Like 1

Thanks everybody, it would seam that I will still have to use the good ole cable to connect it then. 

In the grand scheme of things it's not a big chore but would have been nice to have popped the phone in the wireless charging bay and also have it connect to Android auto.

However it does confirm that there is no need to spec media command with the car which opens up more chance of getting a car in the next couple of weeks. 🙂 

Thanks

Paul.

Thanks Minieggs.

I hadn't thought of a dongle. Done a quick bit of "googling" and from what I can tell with any dongle to work fully with Android Auto you need to be able to download an app onto the MIB3 stereo.

Is that possible on a 2019/2020 FL S3?

Thanks

10 hours ago, ConspiracyUK said:

Thanks Minieggs.

I hadn't thought of a dongle. Done a quick bit of "googling" and from what I can tell with any dongle to work fully with Android Auto you need to be able to download an app onto the MIB3 stereo.

Is that possible on a 2019/2020 FL S3?

Thanks

Traditionally, and commonly found dongles require an aftermarket AndroidAuto/CarPlay headunit to work, hence the app.

The game changer, which @MiniEggs posted, works with existing OEM headunits, as long as they r already AndroidAuto/CarPlay compatible!! :)

Edited by JR RS

• 10 months later...

There is a product coming out called AAWireless which serves this purpose and it is $55 dollars at the moment, shipping starts in December. It doesn't bother me that much because I use this opportunity to charge my phone.

• 3 months later...

The only issue with any work around solution for me is that I have a separate work and personal phone. Whenever you use Android Auto you can only be connected to that phone for calls... The BT connection no longer works. Without AA the Columbus connects to both phones which has been amazing. To be honest, I usually have to stop after 5 mins to reboot Android Auto...great when it works but Spotify works about 50% of the time currently. The Columbus is so good I hardly use AA to be honest. Also, I think the sound is better using 'Media' as it uses the Dolby Pro Logic II - I don't think Android Auto seems to... Possibly it's just my imagination. 

Edited by Legfitter
Spelling

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried to enable this via obd eleven in a 2.5 mib ?

For what i read we have to go to 5f  and enable  wlan 5ghz , activate google_gal_wireless (android auto),apple_dio_wireless(carplay) .

Then remove all bluetooth devices and pair the phone once again after that pair the phone with wlan too  . 

1 hour ago, Camarao69 said:

Has anyone tried to enable this via obd eleven in a 2.5 mib ?

For what i read we have to go to 5f  and enable  wlan 5ghz , activate google_gal_wireless (android auto),apple_dio_wireless(carplay) .

Then remove all bluetooth devices and pair the phone once again after that pair the phone with wlan too  . 

MIB2.5 units do not have the components/hardware for wireless carplay or android auto, nor can it be enabled/coded.

only MIB3 units r able to do it.

Wireless LAN (WLAN) is a different thing altogether. 

Edited by JR RS