Custom Dab Radio Logo Resolution

TLDR - For pixel perfect radio logo use png images at 98 x 80 pixels (Skoda Bolero/Amundsen).

So I actually had to take a photo and count the actual pixels to make some custom radio logos that actually looked nice.

I found that my unit need to have custom images at a resolution of 98 x 80 pixels for them not to be distorted (pixel perfect).

I confirmed this with a test pastern 98x80 pixels that looked perfect. At 98x81 pixels the image would immediately be distorted. 

At 98x98 it is also distorted. You'd think it should work as the white field is actually square and 98x98 pixels.

So for pixel perfect radio logos these are my findings:

Width: max 98 (all 98 pixels can be used)

Height: max 80 (even though it could have been 98 pixels)

You can use images of any shape and form, but the screen won't scale these images correctly.

In the manual max resolution is 500x500. I've tested with larger ones and they can be used, but will most likely be distorted.

pixel_n_aspect.png

98x80.png

size depends also is logo factory installed or uploaded by user

On 27/10/2016 at 21:09, MartiniB said:

downloaded exactly same icons from
http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/infotainment/de/de/manuals/stationlogos.html?d1=discoverpro-2
and uploaded to Columbus just one to compare -
second station logo uploaded trough USB vs third pre-installed from the factory

24a05a5s-1920.jpg

Another issue (sorry for the spam) is that the radio-logo (at 98x80) can look good on the main lcd screen.

However the the instrument cluster uses a different logo-size and the white logo box has a 170x170 pixel count.

The small size of 98x80 make the image look fussy, and it is not scaling correctly on the instrument cluster.

There is also a gray bar/bars where the logo and the white box intersects. 

I don't know how to get rid of that (both factory- and custom logos has this issue).

Lack of proper documentation is frustrating 😛

Logo_Instrument_Cluster.png

Another discovery as I'm mucking around with these radio logos 😛

There is quite a visual quality difference between using JPG-formated images vs those that are PNG.

I think we are better off using JPG-files rather than the PNGs often found in the radio logo packages from VW/Skoda.

In the included image there are two identical logos only formated as JPG and PNG.

It looks like the JPG scales much better to my eyes.

jpg_vs_png_v2.jpg

• 9 months later...

I started to update my logos and what I have observed still now. Factory preloaded logos are bigger... For starter,  I followed 98x80 rule (196x160 with png had resizing effects). For square logo it worked best, but it was not as big as preloaded logos. 160x80 gave best result for horizontal oriented logos, they occupied preset box horizontally end to end. I have not figured out what kind of pixel ratio will fit exactly to preset box from top to bottom. I have MY17 Skoda superb MIB 2.0 Bolero.

If I fit square logo in 160x80 png, it was smaller on headunit than 98x80 png.

Another topic, does anybody know whay MIB 2.0 has white background  on logos? 

Edited by Paikesejanku
  • Like 1