17" tyres for Fabia (advice please)

As per the thread title, I see some people have 17" wheels (and thus tyres) on their Fabias.

Which tyres would you recommend, best value for money?

What size? 225/40-17 or 225/50-17?

(If it helps, the tyres are going to go onto Octavia 'spider' 17" vRS alloys. Stock suspension on the Fabia vRS.

Am I correct in saying they need to be ZR rated in order to not invalidate insurance? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions! :thumbup:

Thanks very much! Would I be better off with the 215 or 205 in your opinion?

I have been looking at Kumho Ecstas so far.

If anyone can suggest any other good brands I will check prices on those...

I'd go for 215's personally, that little bit extra grip and rim protection is so worth it...

And Kumhos are good tyres for the money, will most likely get these when I buy some bigger wheels! :thumbup:

Cheers for that.

Do tyres have to be BS-stamped or kitemarked?

I checked a couple of sites and it says the MoT test checks for condition, tread depth etc, but it says nothing about EU or UK safety specification..?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/MotArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10016070&chk=vzsMb2

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvowners/mottesting/carcomponentstested.htm

Tyres might be a little cheaper here in the US so thinking of shipping a set back with my furniture and stuff in the container lol. Those Kumhos are $81 (GBP45) per corner (215-40WR17)

P Zero Nero are $117 each for ZRs http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Pirelli&model=PZero+Nero

I ran a set of 215/40 Ecsta 712s with the S3 rims I had - was impressed, good levels of wet and dry grip. Would go for them again.

I'd go with 215s too....

Steve

Nope. That car used to be owned by a car maniac who knew a thing or two about upgrades...he's got a Jeep Grand Cherokee with big-a** wheels and fat exhaust setup...so loud.

Nope. That car used to be owned by a car maniac who knew a thing or two about upgrades...he's got a Jeep Grand Cherokee with big-a** wheels and fat exhaust setup...so loud.

haha.. he owns a Grand Cherokee now? lol..

I really hate the tow bar he attached to my car

I'm currently doing the rounds for a set of 215/40 17s. At the moment I've put a shout in with a local place I'm pally with to see what they can do me either the Kuhmo KU31/712 and T1-Rs for, and a special enquiry about possibly getting Eagle F1s as with the Kuhmo's / T1Rs being £78 from mytyres (ish) the Eagle F1s are only £90 so not much greater jump up in price.

Any good reports to be had on Eagle F1s? Not heard of anyone using them on a Fabia yet - on the front.

those front brakes seem a bit lost inside those wheels me thinks:) time for 312mm upgrade?

Ya... i agree.. they do look lost inside this wheel.. but the problem is that im really very satisfied with the performance of those brakes on 17"s... tbh im afraid that if i upgrade for bigger ones i might be suffering a bit from wheels rubbing when on full lock.. im not sure coz i dont really know much about this

Ya... i agree.. they do look lost inside this wheel.. but the problem is that im really very satisfied with the performance of those brakes on 17"s... tbh im afraid that if i upgrade for bigger ones i might be suffering a bit from wheels rubbing when on full lock.. im not sure coz i dont really know much about this

The size of brakes won't affect the position of the wheel on the hub. The worst scenario is you get some MASSIVE brakes and the spokes on the alloy won't clear. They'll clear the standard 312mm brakes and the vRS normal 288mm ones too I reckon. :thumbup: Just realised its a 1.4, but the same applies when using vRS hubs too I should think. I'm using them with no probs.