Yeti Engine Start Stop Switch Replacment

Lincol

Couldn't find procedure for start/stop engine switch replacement on Yeti, however this might be useful to others.

Problem was start/stop switch was intermittent, spraying with contact cleaner worked but not for long.

The steering cowl is in two halves, drop steering wheel to lowest position and prize off top one by hand or aided with blade between halves. Lift up out of the way which is restricted by fabric cover.

Remove torx t25 screw underneath lower cowl and then remove two more screws that are exposed fully when steering wheel is rotated through 90 degrees left and right.

With screws removed lower cowl can be dropped down and access to the switch to be replaced is now easily possible. Undo plug with locking tag and push switch out.

Reverse procedure to reassemble.

Good luck !!

• Like 1

Yes, probably, the button does state start/stop.

The switch is a known weak point on current models, I'm surprised to see the issues hark back as far as the Yeti.

image.png.e09165792474ece7b2fc7cc477bdac89.png

Not to be confused with the automatic stop/start feature...

image.png.0efe1a162df0d9e6ed9124713277b74c.png

• Like 1

Just for Clarity, my guide refers to the Engine Start/Stop Round button switch mounted in the lower cowl of the steering column, where an ignition key would normally be found. Standard fitment on certain models at the time (keyless ignition). Removing the chrome outer ring and a liberal spraying through the holes with contact cleaner briefly helped, but I replaced switch in the end.

Edited by Lincol

• 1 month later...

Really useful info, I have the same issue on our Yeti  you have to guess where to press the button for the engine to fire up 😡
The car is 6 in May and used every day.

Hope you dont mind answering the following ?
Do you have the ETKA part number?

How much was it ?

Where did you get it from ?

I really need to change ours it is soo frustrating ☹️☹️.

Hi, Only too glad to help, the part number on box is

3T0905217CWHS Start-Stop Switch, paid about £32, from TPS Poole, genuine parts supplier (branches Nationwide I believe). 

I resisted changing it until it was absolutely necessary. 

Good Luck

• Like 1

On 17/02/2020 at 22:23, Lincol said:

Hi, Only too glad to help, the part number on box is

3T0905217CWHS Start-Stop Switch, paid about £32, from TPS Poole, genuine parts supplier (branches Nationwide I believe). 

I resisted changing it until it was absolutely necessary. 

Good Luck

Many thanks

Trying to get right part number from Internet was nightmare it was giving me number for Karoq,  while it might actually be the same not taking any chances.

Will order and when it arrives it will get done immediately .  you pick random points on the button for it to start, and its pot luck when you hit it,

Yes did try spray and it lasted a couple of days.

Glad you got the ordering sorted, with me the spraying initially worked ok, then it played up again and got me so frustrated I cracked the plastic top of the switch with pushing it. Not looked back since replacing it.

Good luck

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this post! I just logged on to post for the first time to say this helped heaps. 
I risked it and went for a button on Aliexpress, installed as per instructions then it just worked, I only have had my 2015 Yeti 1.2t for a couple of months (brilliant car, it came with pano sunroof, KESSY, fog lights, reverse camera, park assist etc... pretty epic), the previous owner told me you need to press towards the top but it got a bit worse so I got this button and now its just a simple press and go! :)

Appreciate this write up

• 9 months later...