Skoda Octavia Water Leak!

VRS2FAT

Hi all, 

My car has been off road for quite a while now and water has managed to find a way inside. 

The N/S and D/S inside footwell are both covered with water and I do not know where the water is coming in from. I will be uploading pictures tomorrow hopefully to show the rubber door seals whether to justify if they would need changing or it is entering through the door cards or somewhere else.

if anyone has had this sort of problem before with their Skoda Octavia vRS MK1 please let me know and how you have addressed this issue. 

Thanks

If it has been sat, then check around the base of the wiper arms in the scuttle tray.

If leaves and debris block the drain holes and the scuttle tray fills with rainwater after a downpour it can run down under the windscreen and bulkhead directly into the footwells...

Image result for leaves scuttle tray

Does it have a sunroof? Again the drainage channels can become blocked.

18 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

If it has been sat, then check around the base of the wiper arms in the scuttle tray.

If leaves and debris block the drain holes and the scuttle tray fills with rainwater after a downpour it can run down under the windscreen and bulkhead directly into the footwells...

Image result for leaves scuttle tray

Does it have a sunroof? Again the drainage channels can become blocked.

I’ve checked the drainage holes and it all seems to be clear, I’ve drained the water from the car previously and have noticed that the water is building up in the rear passenger and once full, spills over into the driver side. 

The car doesn’t have a sunroof either.

Thanks for the reply it is actually bugging me out, I will check the membrane of the passenger door by removing the door card and see if their is any water build up there. 

• Like 1

He said both..

If the door cards have ever been off, by anyone, and the membrane nit sealed absolutely perfectly, water will get into the footwells from there. A small tear/gap in seal can let a surprising amount of water through.

Odds of any mk1 still on the road not having had at least issue needing a door card off are pretty slim at this stage..

Compost can also build up behind the wheel arch liners, and which is where the scuttle drains to. Water backs up in there and can get in through the grommet the bonnet release cable passes through...

Hope that helps

2 hours ago, mac11irl said:

He said both..

If the door cards have ever been off, by anyone, and the membrane nit sealed absolutely perfectly, water will get into the footwells from there. A small tear/gap in seal can let a surprising amount of water through.

Odds of any mk1 still on the road not having had at least issue needing a door card off are pretty slim at this stage..

Compost can also build up behind the wheel arch liners, and which is where the scuttle drains to. Water backs up in there and can get in through the grommet the bonnet release cable passes through...

Hope that helps

Sorry mate I made a mistake on my post I’ll address to it now, I meant only the driver side and rear driver foot wells.

thanks and I will check behind the wheel arch liner, but I did put some water through the bonnet hole to see if any water came through the footwell via cable, but the drain holes seem perfectly clear as water is flowing through them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VRS2FAT said:

but I did put some water through the bonnet hole to see if any water came through the footwell via cable, but the drain holes seem perfectly clear as water is flowing through them. 

In that case.... its likely the driver door membrane hasnt been properly reattached/replaced following work being done (window regulator/lock mechanism...).  The shape of the floor pan means that water will flow to the rear footwell first, even if the leak is up front, unless youre always parked pointing downhill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mac11irl said:

In that case.... its likely the driver door membrane hasnt been properly reattached/replaced following work being done (window regulator/lock mechanism...).  The shape of the floor pan means that water will flow to the rear footwell first, even if the leak is up front, unless youre always parked pointing downhill.

Thanks for the quick reply, the car has been in my possession for 4 years or longer, no work has been done to the driver door. It’s quite an unusual one for me to be honest. 

I’ve even poured water onto the driver side doors and see if there was any leak, nothing was happening. 

With the rain continuing overnight I’ve covered the car with a cover now as it’s too much headache cleaning the water and carpet etc .

On 24/12/2019 at 06:56, VRS2FAT said:

On the right side mate 

Remove the rear seat, side trim & the rocker panel trim, while sitting inside the car ask someone to spray  the car using a garden hose for any visible water ingress. Also remove the windshield trim and check whether the hood cable boot and wiring harness boots are intact.

• Like 1