Passenger side electric window stopped working

briscaF1

Help required, please. Car is a '14 plate combi.

Noticed that the passenger side window has stopped working tonight. It doesn't work from the passenger door switch or the driver's door switch. The driver's side window is ok.

Is this on its own fuse or is the problem more serious?

Any help with diagnosis procedure welcome.

Thanks in advance

Edited by briscaF1

Thanks for the pointer to the door wiring. Doesn't look too healthy, does it? Shame as I was hoping it would be the fuse.

The wiring is quite tight. Does this involve a door off to resolve or is it possible to get the door side rubber boot off? Is there a connector behind it ? I had a go but the boot didn't seem to want to come off easily at all.

I guess I'd better check the driver's side while I'm at it.

Does this also affect MK3 Fabias?

IMG_20191223_103739~2.jpg

it is the whole door harness and you have to remove door trim and speaker to do it, this allows easier access to the door boot as it can be tight and easily damaged.

You will need to drill out speaker rivets to remove it and obviously have rivets and riveter to refit.

Whole job about hour and half

Edited by UrbanPanzer

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Seems this problem isn't confined to the Fabia - a friend of mine spent some hours the other day sorting out his aunt's 2009 Golf Plus - same issue. Some hero in the VW electrical department got a promotion for saving 0.001p per car with this door harness design?

Moaning aside, does anyone have an electrical schematic for the Fabia 2 / yr model 2014? This would be for the doors and interconnections to the door pillar.

Also, does anyone know what the connector make/type is? I might be able to repair the wire by inserting a new piece of wire where the others have broken - solder and heat shrink one end (which, hopefully, I can push into the door a little) and then new crimps on the wires at the connector end. Has anyone had any success with this approach?

Thanks in advance.

Some have reported repairing the loom, only time will tell if its entirely successful or not

Soldering not recommended on vehicle wiring, crimping far better repair, but in all honesty by the time you have done all that you could have just replaced the loom.

even a "good" repair is suceptable to issues later on with water ingress / corrosion.

Not sure why you need schematic, just re-join the current colours back to each other if a repair is your prefered option.

part number of connectors / loom here

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/FAB/year/2013/drive_standart/697/hg_ug/971/subcategory/972035/part_id/2552207/lang/e

Edited by UrbanPanzer

11 hours ago, briscaF1 said:

Some hero in the VW electrical department got a promotion for saving 0.1p per car

Amount corrected inline.

Now try multiplying that by 2_000_000 cars per year for say 10 years.

5 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Amount corrected inline.

Now try multiplying that by 2_000_000 cars per year for say 10 years.

I get the economics of it alright and maybe VW got lucky and all the harness failures occur outside of the warranty period as those "0.1p savings" would be wiped out swiftly otherwise.

You're right about it being false economy, Urbanpanzer, but I just don't fancy disassembling the door/drinking rivets out etc. Friend of mine had his Fabia 1 door apart and said it was a pig of a job but maybe three mk 2 is easier?

Fabia 1 is totaly different setup, the whole inner door panel needs drilling off.....on the Mk2 its just the speaker for access, the window mech unbolts to provide access as well "if" you need it.

If your handy with tools, the job can be done in 2 hours max, and thats being generous to be honest.

Where in the UK are you ? if your local, I would happily assist with it.

Heres a piccy showing the speaker and loom removed, and what it looks like back together.

IMG_0315 - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

• Like 2

On 23/01/2020 at 19:20, UrbanPanzer said:

Fabia 1 is totaly different setup, the whole inner door panel needs drilling off.....on the Mk2 its just the speaker for access, the window mech unbolts to provide access as well "if" you need it.

If your handy with tools, the job can be done in 2 hours max, and thats being generous to be honest.

Where in the UK are you ? if your local, I would happily assist with it.

Heres a piccy showing the speaker and loom removed, and what it looks like back together.

IMG_0315 - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Now I've seen inside the door, it doesn't seem too bad. My mate was moaning about all the clips breaking off etc but, if it's just the speaker, this doesn't seem so bad. Are there a lot of clips on the Mk2?

I'll take another look at the weekend (earliest opportunity) to see what is involved and check the driver's side to see how bad that is as I might need to get two harnesses.

Thanks very much for the offer of assistance - if you're in Derbyshire, I'm not that far away (near Stafford) so maybe I could get over to you at some point if required?

The mk one was a real pig! I did it though on my mk 1 and aside from being a time vampire it wasn’t too bad. Took me about 3 hours on and off, going slowly. 
it is nice to see the the mk2 is going to be an easier fix, when, and it will be a when, the same issue happens to me. It looks like it will be a lot easier. I’m hoping the roomster will be similar setup 

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this. Mate of mine did it for 20 quid. He said it wasn't much bother to be honest.

I'm guessing the driver side is different as it has an additional window switch so I cannot fix this one and use it for that side if it decides to stop working also ?