vRS 245 Coolant Usage

I have a 2018 vRS 245 and in the past 3 months, I’ve had to top up the coolant twice. I’ve used the VW coolant and each top up has only been 50-100mls. Is this level of usage normal on this engine? I’ve had diesel cars for the last 12 years and they never seemed to use a drop. 

The system is fully sealed, if you are having to add coolant then it is leaking somewhere.

Keep an eye on the oil level, if it is rising unexpectedly then maybe the water is mixing in with the oil for some reason.

Skoda's are well documented for being delivered with free air locks, Skoda kindly don't charge extra for them.

A side effect is a dropping of the coolant level once or a few times within the first few months / thousand miles.

Given your vRS is well over a year old then I'd have hoped any trapped air would be long gone by now.

Leaking water pumps are also a common issue, if it is weeping then the dealer should easily see it during the next service...

Image result for briskoda leaking water pump silver1011

• Thanks 1

@SteveVRS

Time to stop topping it up, stop removing the cap.

Tell the Dealership, have them log your concerns, have a technician top it up and not overfill. Let it set its level and it should stay there after a run and the car up to temp.

If not they can take the car in, give you a courtesy car and see why the level drops.

They can do, but once is enough, twice puts you on notice, and after that action is required.

There is a MIN level, there is the level between there and MAX.

There is no FILL TO THIS LEVEL mark, because many cars set their own level. If above MIN then that level is good.

Edited by Roottootemoot

When the warning light comes on during a long drive on a Friday night, a quick top up is the only option and I hoped it wasn’t a one off. The second occasion (Christmas Eve eve) again warrented a top up and a call to the dealer. 

I always like like to go it with a bit of knowledge though so I don’t get the ‘they all do that sir’ fob off. 

• 2 years later...

Long shot as so long ago, but did you resolve this problem and what was it? Mine has started using up engine coolant now (started at about 31k, now coming upto 35). First time alarm came up, and I've since kept an eye on it and had to top up twice as on min level marker. Oil seems ok so dont think its getting into there, not sure where water pump is to have a look. Will ask at dealer of course when next service is due. Cheers

5 hours ago, tinman80 said:

Long shot as so long ago, but did you resolve this problem and what was it? Mine has started using up engine coolant now (started at about 31k, now coming upto 35). First time alarm came up, and I've since kept an eye on it and had to top up twice as on min level marker. Oil seems ok so dont think its getting into there, not sure where water pump is to have a look. Will ask at dealer of course when next service is due. Cheers

Water pump is down the front of the engine, if its leaking the coolant usually leaves white marks where its dried . . If you look under the car at the sump its obvious if it is leaking,the honeycomb plastic sump cover will have residue in it.

When mine was leaking I could also smell it when I got out of the car,it's a really sweet sickly smell.