Electrical gremlin

mglaunchbury

Hi all, Happy New Year!

I have a 2014 Roomster Mk 2 which has developed an elecrical gremlin. The door open indicator on the dash is permanently on even when all doors are firmly shut. Sometimes the boot pops open without being asked to do so. The warning light stays on all of the time but goes out if I apply the brakes. It comes back on immediately. Also the boot interior light is on permanently so I have taken that out to save the battery. The dash warning stays on even after the car has been locked. I'd be grateful for any clues.

By the way, the wipers woudln't turn off for a couple of days just before Christmas. That issue has gone away but maybe a connection?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Guest Roomyster

I'd start by spraying down the boot mechanism with contact cleaner, wd40, that sort of stuff, you'll end up with the alarm triggering soon

The boot light is the clue here. The car thinks the boot is open.

The 'door open' warning and boot light combination is a common fault across many Skoda models. There is a microswitch in the boot catch, if this fails the car can't tell the status of the boot.

Perhaps the brake light wiring is close by and having an effect?

Is the spare wheel well in the boot wet? Again another fairly common issue that can result in strange electrical issues.

Screenshot_20200102-131250_eBay.thumb.jpg.e8e6acfe883c1cfd957bbbb8b3f4dc3f.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unbelievably, five minutes after typing the message above the car alarm went off and I see that the problem has returned once more. It had been fine for two weeks. There must be some connection with the wiper problem because that also returned today. See the other post.

This is driving me nuts!

Michael L

• 2 weeks later...

Just to conclude on this one for the benefit of anyone else who gets this problem, the answer was that the pipe taking the washer fluid to the rear wiper had split. The water had caused corrosion in the electrical connections inside the rear door. This lead to all of the erratic electrical symptoms.

Thanks to everyone for assistance.

Michael L

• Like 2