DSG failure

Moggo

Hi all,

We have a 2014 1.2tsi Yeti DSG and the gearbox has just failed.

Working fine then came out of the shops, car started fine, put car in drive - nothing, car won’t move, showing a D followed by a spanner alternating in the maxidot.

Does this also in Park, Reverse etc nothing at all. Car revs fine though. Sounding like me failed gearbox. Just got towed home through breakdown cover.

Anyone had this problem? Car is obviously out of warranty but only done 35K Miles, thoroughly fed up!

Just after any input or advice on how to proceed with this? Surely this shouldn’t be happening at this mileage?

Many thanks all.

Many have had the problem.

Your DSG might have been part of a Service Campaign started in 2017 on DQ200's from 2013-2015, '34H5'. A Software Update.

Has the car been in and had it?

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/455607-dsg-gearbox-error/page/2/#comments

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

It was a Preventative Measure to reduce the risk of Leaks. 

If your car has been at a main dealers since early 2017 it should have been carried out if it applied to your car.

There you might have comeback with the Dealership or Skoda as there was no Recall, or Recall Action, just a Service Campaign.

Check your VIN and see if a Recall Action shows.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

You need a diagnosis to see if a leaking Mechatronic control unit, or some other issue / failure.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/457990-yeti-dsg-gearbox-failure-at-34k-miles

Many thanks, it’s not been to a main dealer it’s been serviced by an independent so doesn’t look good.

This surely shouldn’t be happening on at such low mileage, I doubt Skoda will admit any fault. We certainly weren’t contacted but are the second owners so no surprise there really.

Not sure the next thing to do? Get the fault diagnosed so get it towed to independent I guess?

Just checked, there is but doesn’t say what. Says to call Skoda Customer Hotline, will have to do that in the morning.

Pretty disappointed in our independent, they should be picking up on these things, it goes yearly and we request everything needed is done.

Bracing myself for a big bill 😢

Unless the Independent has Licensed Equipment they do not get Service Campaign, Recall or TPI updates.

'34H5' did not show on the VIN checker until recently, maybe since the recent Australian Recall.

The earlier '34F7' did, but that is for DSG's 2009-2013.

In the threads there is the member importing and selling the part for £200 that fixes some DSG supposedly. 

You need the Diagnosis of what the fault is.

Fingers crossed it in minor.

• Like 1

Looking like I’m up the creek without a paddle.

Service campaign (which is a joke as they don’t even advertise the fact anywhere unless you get rinsed at a main dealer) was not carried out by independent.

A 6 year old 35K miles car gearbox should not be failing but the might of the VW Group will outlast me in a battle.

Its my parents car, I have a 2016 identical model and to be honest I think I will get shot quick before I get any issues. Totally lost faith in Skoda. Was in the market for a new Kamiq, no chance now.

18 minutes ago, Moggo said:

Looking like I’m up the creek without a paddle.

Service campaign (which is a joke as they don’t even advertise the fact anywhere unless you get rinsed at a main dealer) was not carried out by independent.

A 6 year old 35K miles car gearbox should not be failing but the might of the VW Group will outlast me in a battle.

Its my parents car, I have a 2016 identical model and to be honest I think I will get shot quick before I get any issues. Totally lost faith in Skoda. Was in the market for a new Kamiq, no chance now.

Ouch!! Have you got a quote for the repair yet? I believe some members have had the repairs done by an independent garage - but you have to make absolutely sure that they are experienced and skilled in dealing with the DQ200 box.

I thought the later (post 2014 ish) DSG gearboxes were OK due to differrent design?

Although I can understand how you feel. It looks like Skoda (VW) have had some basic design / manufacturing problems that they are happy to let their customers sort out at their own cost. (eg also with Pan roofs?).

I thought quality was supposed to improve over time, but in some areas seems to be a major step backwards even when they know there is a basic fault in the design / manufacturing process.

2014 is not a later design.

2009-2012 there was Synthetic oil from the factory, so a World Wide Recall and in Europe a Service Campaign to change the oil to mineral and do a Software Update, 

and in some World Regions where people take VW to court give them a 100,000 / 10 year warranty.

Then with some from some production plants 2013-2015 VW finally admitted to issues and started a Service Campaign in 2017 to Update Software.

This was because of premature failures.

So 2014 falls right into that.  Service Campaign '34H5'. 

You have to remember that this is not a true automatic gearbox, it is an automated manual. Using it incorrectly will significantly reduce the service life, and could easily result in a failure at 35k. Correctly driven the first thing to go should be the clutch which will wear out eventually, but should achieve 120 to 150k miles.

I have come across skoda employed drivers not using it correctly, eg stopped in gear, handbrake on and feet off all the pedals, waiting at traffic lights. This means the car is trying to drive, but has to slip the clutch against the handbrake to stop stalling. Driven correctly the gearbox should either be in neutral or park before the handbrake is applied, or even better the footbrake depressed to disengage the clutch.

I drive a dsg, the wet clutch version in my diesel Yeti. This should be much more resistant to wear, but personally I would not buy a secondhand dry clutch dsg as you have no idea how it has been used in the past.

On 03/01/2020 at 21:38, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

In the threads there is the member importing and selling the part for £200 that fixes some DSG supposedly. 

Found it - took bloody ages mind as I couldn't remember what thread it was in:

The comments from @alesypalsy might be of interest.

Gaz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update this thread.

Replacement Mechatronic unit fitted, crack in the housing, so the usual issue.

Skoda customer service were awful, didn’t even acknowledge the problem exists.

So about £1200 lighter now and will move the car on, Skoda and the VW Group have lost a customer.

Apparently there is no real guarantee the replacement mechatronic unit won’t also fail as nothing has changed in the design.

We have a 2016 Yeti DSG in the family and that will also be going as I have no confidence in the brand anymore.

I almost bought a Kamiq DSG a month ago, thankfully I didn’t go ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A moron?!

Or have a disability of the leg like one of my parents has!

You have every right to expect a certain level of quality and longevity in an auto as much as in a manual. They are not sold as inferior products.

• Like 1

Doubt there was any update that improved things, maybe moved the problem to the 'Famous DQ200 DSG Clutch Slip' as the Fabia Mk3 thread is titled.

The TPI on Software and clutch Updates covers DQ200 DSG's in not only Skoda Models but VW, SEAT and Audi's.

The DQ200's are used in 28 applications if not more now.

It’s madness that they are still churning out the DQ200 in new cars across the various brands.

Surely they must have subtly ‘improved’ the unit??

I guess the same box is now in the Kamiq just released?