Octavia to Superb size difference

33 minutes ago, TheBinarySheep said:

The garage have also said that the car hasn't had its first service yet, apparently it is due at either 2 year old or 20,000 mile, whichever is first. Is this true? I'm guessing that's a flexible service? I'm used to getting a service done every year.

Yes, that's feasible.  It depends what service regime was set to by the dealer at PDI.  Mine was also set to variable at 2yrs/20k miles.  I've had it changed to fixed/10K miles (well it's just under, 9600 or 9800 IIRC)

With the TFSI/TSI engines they don't (IME) ever get close to 20K miles, my 280 wanted a service at ~14.5k miles and my previous Octavia vRS never got near 15K either.  So, if the 280 is at 14K miles at present you won't have it long before the service light comes up.  Something else in your favour to get a better p/x price.  I would avoid allowing them to service it and just ask for the money off instead so you can be sure it's been done to spec and done properly.  Especially as service manuals are all online now, they won't have access to update the service record. 

The scuff on the rear of the 280 is a good bargaining tool too , regardless of them having it repaired.  Defo get a pic of it beforehand though, their 'scuff' could be a hefty ding and it's nice to have some idea, for your own peace of mind. 

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Yes, that's feasible.  It depends what service regime was set to by the dealer at PDI.  Mine was also set to variable at 2yrs/20k miles.  I've had it changed to fixed/10K miles (well it's just under, 9600 or 9800 IIRC)

With the TFSI/TSI engines they don't (IME) ever get close to 20K miles, my 280 wanted a service at ~14.5k miles and my previous Octavia vRS never got near 15K either.  So, if the 280 is at 14K miles at present you won't have it long before the service light comes up.  Something else in your favour to get a better p/x price.  I would avoid allowing them to service it and just ask for the money off instead so you can be sure it's been done to spec and done properly.  Especially as service manuals are all online now, they won't have access to update the service record. 

The scuff on the rear of the 280 is a good bargaining tool too , regardless of them having it repaired.  Defo get a pic of it beforehand though, their 'scuff' could be a hefty ding and it's nice to have some idea, for your own peace of mind. 

I've given the VRS a quick clean, sent them some pictures in an email and said if they can do a PX of £8,000 and smart repair the bumper, then I'd definitely be interested in the car.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheBinarySheep said:

Garage have got back to me, they've agreed to match the £8,000 px value and smart repair the bumper. Going to discuss it with my wife... but fingers crossed.

Just for info my 19 plate 272 which has only 5,200 miles on the clock (ex Skoda UK car) is saying first variable service due at 16,000 miles. If you travel to Derby be sure to check the Long Term fuel consumption in car settings because this will give you an idea of how it has been driven/type of commute. For example my car had averaged 32.5mpg over the previous 2,000 miles at an average speed of 32mph. My 300 miles so far have resulted in 38mpg average with an 40mph average speed for comparison. They look great in Black Magic.

Edited by shyVRS245
WRONG WORD

1 hour ago, TheBinarySheep said:

Garage have got back to me, they've agreed to match the £8,000 px value and smart repair the bumper. Going to discuss it with my wife... but fingers crossed.

This scenario calls for Tesco Finest flowers, not those £5 specials in the buckets nearest to the floor 😎😂

Good news!

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

This scenario calls for Tesco Finest flowers, not those £5 specials in the buckets nearest to the floor 😎😂

Whoa! Steady on... we're not talking about a Porsche here!

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Seems to be a new decade trend, Vrs owners trading up to 272/280 Superbs. Great news TheBinarySheep you will not be disappointed.😉

Evolution.  Darwin predicted this would happen. 

• Haha 1

On 04/01/2020 at 08:06, TheBinarySheep said:

We have an Octavia Vrs 220 at the minutes and I fancy a change. The car has been great but a few things I don't like are the lack of front end traction, especially during traffic light grand prix', the poor quality sound system and the cheapness of some of the plastics. It seems something like a superb 280 would solve those problems but cause another....size. 

My main concern is that it'll feel too big for my wife and she will refuse to drive it. She doesn't drive the Octavia much, but the option is there if she needs a bigger car.

There are occasions where I sometime find spaces too small for the Octavia and have to squeeze out of the car, and I'm concerned that a Superb will introduce a whole host of problems when it comes to parking and getting through a McDonalds drive-through.

im just wondering how people find the car day to day in terms of size?

I went from a 2010 Octy (so, Mk2) to a 2018 Superb and the difference in the quality of the interior, the refinement and the gadgets is like night and day (in a good way). As others have said rear legroom is massive but I'm not sure the boot is actually much bigger when the seats are up. In the front, the cabin feels more roomy, which I like.

As numerous people have said, once out on the road, the car doesn't feel much bigger. You do adjust quickly to the additional length but what I find noticable is the increase in the wheelbase (from  2578mm to 2841mm, so a 26cm increase). 
I find when when parking, this makes the car less manouverable and even after having the car for almost a year, sometimes I have to take a couple of goes at getting into a space as the car just doesn't turn as quickly as the Octy. Maybe I'm just a rubbish driver but I never had that issue in the Octavia. However, I did have it for 6 years so I was very attuned to how it manouvered.

Just make sure you go for a decent test drive on the sort of roads you normally drive on (could be tricky if you are 2.5 hours from home) to make sure you're happy with how it handles and do a couple of parking type manouvers. I have the standard suspension and do find it can be a bit wallowy on undulating roads but I imagine the Sportline is firmer.

On 06/01/2020 at 17:10, TheBinarySheep said:

Deposit paid, should be picking up next Tuesday.

Ah too late, didn't read all the way through the thread before I posted. Doh.

Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Let us know what you think once you picked her up, put some Shell V Power in, and given her a good run 😉

9 minutes ago, budster said:

Ah too late, didn't read all the way through the thread before I posted. Doh.

Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Let us know what you think once you picked her up, put some Shell V Power in, and given her a good run 😉

Or Tesco Momentum which is currently about 12 pence per litre cheaper.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Or Tesco Momentum which is currently about 12 pence per litre cheaper.

Good point. Even my 1.4 feels a bit smoother and more eager with any 99 RON stuff. Or maybe just my imagination...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, budster said:

Good point. Even my 1.4 feels a bit smoother and more eager with any 99 RON stuff. Or maybe just my imagination...

When my standard Vrs245 was mapped in March 2018 it produced 7bhp and 30nm more torque than Skoda claim on the 99 octane stuff and my current car is due for the same performance upgrade next month so will post the increases expected.:biggrin:

15 hours ago, TheBinarySheep said:

The kids love that you can change the colour of the interior lights on the dash and doors too

My 5 yr old daughter has to change them to match her nails 😭

• Haha 2

I went from an Octavia Mk3 to a Superb. I love it! Unfortunately my wife doesn't because of the size. I must admit there are occasions when it  is more difficult to park. My next car is going to be the new Octavia. I think that says it all!

Just now, spearmg said:

I went from an Octavia Mk3 to a Superb. I love it! Unfortunately my wife doesn't because of the size. I must admit there are occasions when it  is more difficult to park. My next car is going to be the new Octavia. I think that says it all!

My wife is banned from driving my new Superb as she had an argument in a multi-storey car park between a pillar and the rear door of my 2016 Superb because of it's large size.

16 hours ago, spearmg said:

My wife has never driven my Superb since I got it in May 2018. I intend to keep it that way. Parking isn't her thing. She scraped her Mazda 2s bumper parking in the street at home and didn't even know she had done it.

It is a big car. Parking can be tricked. On the other hand It's great being able to stick a single bed and matress inside the car and not need to hire a van.

I assume you've got it now?

An obsevation on Superb3 ... I loved my one (company car) but it was a huge step size-wise after a 'baby' 120 BMW ragtop.

Bizarrely the 5door is even longer than the combi. Mine was a bit of a sleeper although not a redlight racer it was certainly brisk and handled beautifully with 4x4 and DCC ... it clawed around twisty A-roads and nothing much could live with it. It was only the 150 diesel and supposed to be an M-way cruiser but it held it's own UNTIL you reached the car park!

The poor thing went through 3 new back bumpers in two years after being 'struck whilst parked', you must kiss the wall with the beak or look for longer spaces / vans to hide behind... 2 of my strikes looked like vans leaving from beside me so maybe the hiding is best avoided.

A huge plus was the hill-hold brake. At only 11days old and still anticipating it's first wash, it was at the front of two cars waiting for a green light when we were shunted at 30mph plus by a Q7 not paying attention. The big Audi and the 1series between us were mashed (handbrake not on so I got the full force) The Superb needed it's first new rear bumper (actually 1 of 4 in 3 years) but the brake held steady as a tram passed by infront.

I doubt it's an issue in the 280 but the normal seats are wide ... Jaguar wide ... and you can slide around a bit in the cheaper ones. Mine had alcantra (a fab material that washes easily) which helps keep you in place but even thise chairs are far from snug.

My new to me private Octy2 4x4 feels more like a Beetle seating-wise ... my partner loves it because she is a Beetle driver 😉