Upgrading Front Fog Lights on 2019 Octavia Scout

Dear all,

I am keen to explore if it is possible (either with ODBC or ODBEleven Long coding) the lights on my Octavia Scout.

My new car (2019 Skoda Octavia Scout TDi 184 DSG) has excellent LED headlights, but the fog lights are a waste of time (and get completely lost light wise with the LED headlamps).

Has anybody tried/attempted to upgrade their fog lamp units to the style of lights using in the VRS (ie LED Fog Lamps)? 

My backup plan is to upgrade the front fog lights to LED lamps, but wanted to see if it was even possible to do the lamp upgrade (add it onto my list of growing upgrades!!!)

Many thanks

Max

I am using these: https://a.aliexpress.com/55T19xoc

The beam pattern is absolutely perfect, the light output is 2 or 3 times higher than with the original H8 bulbs.

The metal driver boxes didn't seem 100% waterproof so I wrapped them with self vulcanizing rubber tape.

In action: 

C17D0BD0-D266-4AD0-8984-144C0EEA0D5C.thumb.jpeg.361920029f3358c4b4dc8ff2de08c047.jpeg81CA50C6-6E85-43FA-861A-21B8369BC746.jpeg.f01332da42d416e42b74d6aadfad3051.jpegD6350599-ECF8-4B92-94F8-FEBDB5A1362E.jpeg.99a482335119b64e640e9127d0ea4890.jpeg8A64E62F-EBEA-4557-941E-0E78C7266A57.jpeg.3af7b7ced5fa044703b8111ab6b7690f.jpeg

Just so I'm reading this thread correctly - the basic ask is that information is given on how to replace the front fog lights with:

A. Lights that are now illegal

B. Lights that are now useless in fog (and if the reason is they are too bright - may actually be a hindrance)

C : Look "cool"

However, the only time they are ever used is in fog, where they are now useless. It'll be far too foggy to actually "Look cool" and oncoming traffic will be far too busy concentrating on a road to note anything special about the lights?

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't April 1st or something.

• Like 2

It was a solution that was given. Obviously buyer beware and if we choose to take that option it's our issue if we are found with light bulbs that aren't compliant.

But, my original posting is still valid...has anybody done an LED fog light hardware upgrade?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stoofa said:

Just so I'm reading this thread correctly - the basic ask is that information is given on how to replace the front fog lights with:

A. Lights that are now illegal

B. Lights that are now useless in fog (and if the reason is they are too bright - may actually be a hindrance)

C : Look "cool"

However, the only time they are ever used is in fog, where they are now useless. It'll be far too foggy to actually "Look cool" and oncoming traffic will be far too busy concentrating on a road to note anything special about the lights?

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't April 1st or something.

A. yes, they are illegal

B. they also work well in fog (beam pattern is ok) but I very very rarely use them as 'fog lights' (useless IMO)

C. in other words, the factory halogen bulbs look crap with LED headlights

D. Now they work very well as cornering light

E. Now they work very well as additional light (with high beams) if there's no oncoming traffic

I bought them mainly because D and E.

4 hours ago, aki78 said:

A. yes, they are illegal

B. they also work well in fog (beam pattern is ok) but I very very rarely use them as 'fog lights' (useless IMO)

C. in other words, the factory halogen bulbs look crap with LED headlights

D. Now they work very well as cornering light

E. Now they work very well as additional light (with high beams) if there's no oncoming traffic

I bought them mainly because D and E.

D - NO they don't, unless you actually think that dazzling yourself with your near field is clever!

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

D - NO they don't, unless you actually think that dazzling yourself with your near field is clever!

Hm, I'm not dazzling myself but now I can see much better while cornering at low speed.

If you watch my video carefully you can see that they are not 'too bright' just 'bright enough'. :)

With the original bulbs the cornering light function is kind of useless.

Edited by aki78

@aki78

What is different in the UK from Hungary is the Highway Code and some Police Officers that do act when they see Front Fogs on when it is not foggy.

Fog lights are for use in Fog and reduced visibility.

There are plenty d!cks that think driving with them on anytime regardless of already having dipped beam and sidelights on when there are other road users about.

Sok szerencset!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, aki78 said:

I'm not dazzling myself but now I can see much better while cornering at low speed.

Yes you are and no you can't. I know people who work in Human Factors, rather than believing the nonsense sprouted by car marketing departments,

14 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@aki78

What is different in the UK from Hungary is the Highway Code and some Police Officers that do act when they see Front Fogs on when it is not foggy.

Fog lights are for use in Fog and reduced visibility.

There are plenty d!cks that think driving with them on anytime regardless of already having dipped beam and sidelights on when there are other road users about.

Sok szerencset!

I also hate those d!ckheads and as I mentioned earlier I almost never use my fog lights as 'fog lights'.

So please don't worry I am not dazzling others.

23 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Yes you are and no you can't. I know people who work in Human Factors, rather than believing the nonsense sprouted by car marketing departments,

Ok, I give up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

I am now driving my fifth Skoda that utilises the front fog lights as cornering lights, and during the rural part of my daily commute during the winter months they are a definite advantage.

Having them both coming on when reverse gear is selected, less so.

The most effective are those on my Kodiaq followed by those on the pre-facelift Yeti (mounted high), followed by my MkII Superb (low but bright). Those on both my MkII Octavia's and MkIII Octavia were not particularly beneficial.

Additional light low but wide helps to illuminate the edge of the road, helpful when looking for the start of the junction and for potholes etc. They've also offered me a few vital seconds when spotting suicidal wildlife.

8 hours ago, ccosmin said:

Not legal to change LED on fog lights.

My UK 2018 Kodiaq has LED front fog lights from the factory.

Edited by silver1011

Not complicated really on country roads where corners and verges / junctions need illuminated, use full beam if there are no other road users.

If there are other road users then Dipped Beam, but dipped beam and Fog Lights with LED's just means you are a D!ck-head.

PS

I drove at night for the first time with CH IntelliLux LED Matrix headlights.

No way will i trust these to not annoy other road users, twice i left them and did not dip and felt like a right and left d!ckhead.

(the annoying music was not playing)

Flawed........  Some engineering / design / plonker error when  driver nipping along back roads with humps and dips.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Full beam is long and high.

The cornering lights are close and low.

When cornering, full beam is great for illuminating the sheep in an adjacent field, not so helpful for illuminating the corner I'm about to turn into.

• 1 year later...

Just for info to all, In my 2019 SE, I have all Philips Ultinon Pro9000

2 Pairs H7 - No Dazzle or bad effects

1 Pair H11 for Fog lights - Yes these particular H11 fit and our circa 35% brighter than H8, with other H11's some "ring" adaption is required with tins snips but these fitted first time.

A lot of money, hard to justify for many but awesome results

No Canbus errors or any negatives, save up!

• Like 1