Octavia v Superb

King John

My S Reg Octavia Estate Mk1 (75 Kw) is a bit tatty and the clutch is begining to slip. So my mind is moving towards replacement.

I'm looking at 2016 Mk3 Octavia and Superb Estates as a replacement. For me it is a matter of economy and practicality. I'm not considering a Vrs or anything with additional performance - more mpg and capacity. So the question is which and which models?

Particularly I know nothing about the current 1.6 and 2 liter diesels and which would be better for me. I tend to do some of the servicing myself

The requirements are for a car to impress friends for the wife and one that costs as little to run and can carry a wardrobe/ garden waste to the tip and tow a motorcycle trailer for me. Over to the experts...

p.s. why are the colours so boring?

Edited by King John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ignoramus

No right answer here, the superb is huge, too big for some, but the boot is enormous. Go to a dealer and sit in some.  The smaller car will use a bit less fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to impress with a Skoda I guess but if you want a Skoda with efficiency and space, then it would only be the superb with the lower powered 2.0tdi. reading posts, the 190 TDI isn't as sweet an engine apparently anyway. 

• 1 month later...

it boils down to budget , and the number of miles , and how much space do you really need ( not want).

You already know how big the Octy is with the seats down, Superb is a lot bigger,  If you are doing less than 18k miles a year then it should be petrol,  with those in mind it just boils down too how much you have.

The Superb is the much bigger car, but the space comes in terms of rear seat leg room, the boot capacities on the Octavia and Superb are actually very similar.

Another vote for a 1.4 TSI petrol engine.

Having changed from a Superb to an Octavia and now back to a Superb. I find the Superb much more refined, solidly built and a more comfortable ride but all of this comes at a price as does the worse fuel consumption.

• Like 1

Our main concern was affordability. £12k or £13k ĺsecond hand. We were fortunate to get a good example from a very helpful small honest midlands dealer with good price, excellent condition, 1 year warranty, service record and service before we collected.