Advice - Octavia 07 2.0TDI PD Laurin & Klement Patintial Purchase

Hello guy, I am considering buying a 07 2.0TDI PD Laurin & Klement  reg is : WV57FBA - in case it belonged to anyone.

Are there any specifics to check out on this model, I understand that I need to sort a timing belt as the seller claims it was done a 70k via previous owner, but no paper work with the car. Its on 107k miles.

Thanks in advance.

• FromTheDarkness changed the title to Advice - Octavia 07 2.0TDI PD Laurin & Klement Patintial Purchase

We have two '07 Octy 2 estates.  No major problems so far; some minor issues include tailgate rust blisters plus a few around the wings but nothing penetrating from behind. Drivers' seat squabs can get soft. Some cosmetic wear on steering wheel.  Gear change linkages can get sticky if the car has been stood for a time or has been in deeper water; spraying with wd40/ptfe seems to sort the problem.

Apart from the minors we're very pleased with the cars.

I've an 07 plate 2 litre diesel Laurin & Klement hatchback registered late June 2007... Bought it July 2015 when it had mid 70k miles on it and had just been serviced and with a new timing belt kit fitted ..... Now on 135,000 miles with a new timing belt kit fitted the other week with an oil and filters changed and it's honestly the best and most reliable car I've owned in years ....

Yes it's had its issues such as sticky rear calipers needing replaced, which is seemingly common across the VAG range, rear wheel bearings replaced, front drivers caliber replaced with a wheel bearing and speed sensor (not all at the same time mind) a broken front spring and drop link and a CV joint ....

Sounds a lot I know but honestly in 4 1/2 years it's less than I'd been spending on the Xantias and the C5 I'd previously owned and it was doing 16-18,000 miles a year.... Only major issue I've got is serious rust on the bottom of the front passenger door that I'd had sorted 3 years ago but I'm really needing a replacement door 

Brakes on mine are squeaky, there is a slight wobble on the steering.. feels like it needs aligning/ balancing.. either that are drop links or driveshaft play.. will get it seen too, any advice on belt change.. I have zero history with the car. recon all the belts (aux, aircon, timing) and water pump, pulleys etc?  I hear scare stories about oil pump, is it worth replacing?

I need some decent floor mats also.. ebay isnt providing much just cheapo looking ones.

Edited by FromTheDarkness
corrections

My timing belt kit cost £270 for a Dayco supplied and fitted.... Many people said to go for a Gates belt but the mechanic says he's fitted hundreds of Dayco kits with zero issues ... I did ask him to look at Auxilliary belt and if required chage it but on collecting the car he said there was absolutely nothing wrong with belt or pulleys etc....

oil pump on the BKD engine as far as I'm aware doesn't have any issues and I've certainly experienced no problems with mine ... Oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter changed every 9,400 miles or usually slightly less ... I change the air and pollen filter as they're dirt cheap from ECP with their discount sales and it saves any issues on wether I changed it last service or not .... Fuel filter was changed last service in March 2019 around 55-60,000 miles after its last change.

i purchased genuine Skoda rubbed mats just after I nought the car and was seriously disappointed in quality of them .... Drivers mat had a hole worn in it after about a year and 18,000... Two rears and passenger mat are mint as I'm 90% of the time the only one in the car.

The only Skoda affected by the oil pump drive issue was the Superb mk1 2.0 TDi PD.

The Octavia 2.0 TDi PD engines used a different oil pump drive setup (basically the same as fitted to the 1.9 TDi PD) which is much simpler and doesn't fail.